Need new Dvd r/w confused.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you're certain it's an IDE (or paralell cable connection as it's otherwise known) that drive will do you fine. Good price from Play.com as well.

Simply swap the new drive for your old drive. This means unplugging the data and power cables and unscrewing (usually) 4 screws to take the old drive out and then reverse the procedure to put the new drive in.

On the back of the drive is a row of pins with a 'jumper' (basically a litle plug which joins two metal pins together) which sets the drive up to be cable select, master or slave.

Make sure your new drive has this jumper in the same place as the drive that you will remove.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yep sterling advice there..Make sure you follow it to a T and you won't go far wrong..:nod:

Reaction score
I looked on the bios sceen and both the Roms were next to 'IDE drives...' so I am assuming thats what they areWhat other way can I tell? There was a sata drive but I think this was the hard drive as there was only one.
What is bare drive?

Reaction score
swoosta said:
I looked on the bios sceen and both the Roms were next to 'IDE drives...' so I am assuming thats what they areWhat other way can I tell? There was a sata drive but I think this was the hard drive as there was only one.
What is bare drive?

If they are showing as IDE devices in the BIOS then they probably are, but its worth a check just to make sure, you can open up the case and look for a big gray lead this is an IDE cable coming from the DVD Drive. If its either red or orange cable, then its a SATA DVD Drive.

Bare drive means its only the drive and nothing comes with it, you can use the current cables and screws you have.

Reaction score
wizkid said:
If they are showing as IDE devices in the BIOS then they probably are, but its worth a check just to make sure, you can open up the case and look for a big gray lead this is an IDE cable coming from the DVD Drive. If its either red or orange cable, then its a SATA DVD Drive.

Looks grey/ ribbon type cable with orange running down end side - looked on google images - looks like ide
thanks for everyones help

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do I remove the Dvd r/w from the device manager settings or will the new one over-right it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The new one will overwrite it so you don't have to make any changes in device manager.

Ask a Question