Is 450W PSU enough for this PC setup?

Reaction score
QUESTION 1:
===============
I wonder if a 450W power supply unit enough for the following PC:

CPU - Intel i5 3550
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z77M-D3H
Graphic card - Asus HD6670 1Gb DDR5
SSD - Intel 330S 120Gb (Use as primary drive with Windows 7 and other software)
HDD - Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue
RAM - Kingston KHX1600 DDR3 4Gb
Fan - 2 x 120mm (including one already attached to PSU)
ODD - Liteon 24X DVD-RW
Monitor - Only one 21.5" LED monitor

I seldom use this PC for game. I am not a gamer. It is more for Photoshop and occassion video editing.

Should I get 450W or 500W? What is the disadvntage if I get 500W if 450W is already enough? Do I have to pay more for the elctricity bill or will it burn the parts?

QUESTION 2:
==============
I want to get Windows 7 Home Premium and the computer shop sells the OEM and RETAIL versions. The RETAIL version is much more expensive. May I know what the difference is?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I never trust those PSU calculators my self.....

Basically, go for a PSU with more wattage, you wont use anymore electric, but the psu wont have to work so hard and you will have more headroom in case you want to add another hard disk etc.

Q2: Technically OEM can only be installed on one PC/System. Retail can be installed on as many as you like, but never at the same time. retail gets you support from MS too. :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Appreciate.

I am a bit confused about the Windows 7 OEM and RETAIL discs. In case my computer crashes or infected by virus, can I use the OEM (cheaper than RETAIL) disc to reinstall Windows 7 from fresh (on reformatted HDD/SDD)?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Go for the 500w PSU, Make sure its a good make. Corsair are the daddy's at the moment so get one by them :). Though Coolermaster, XFX and Be Quiet are all pretty good aswell. Its better to give your PSU some breathing room rather than have it work at full pelt all the time.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
500W Corsair PSU; no it won't use any more electricity, possibly the opposite as it won't be susceptible to strain; Go for the OEM version of Win 7 and get 64 Bit version, once you have the disk you can install it as many times as you like (officially on the same machine) though it may require telephone activation which isn't a prob, just a bit of a pain.

Just to reiterate what others have said ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. This PC is for my office in Thailand.

I finally bought 500W Cooler Master after seeing all the replies.

I also bought W7 Retail version from Malaysia. The W7 Retail version in Malaysia is cheaper than the OEM version in Thailand. Software in Thailand in expensive.

I installed W7 64-bit on Intel 330 SSD. From the moment it starts loading BIOS (when I hear the beep sound) until the very moment I see the Windows desktop, it takes 22 seconds.

I still feel that 22 seconds is too long. I actually reinstalled Windows a few times due to some errors. I remember the first time I installed W7, it took about half the time to load. I can't get that back anymore even when there is no other software installed.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
There are a few things you need to do to make a ssd work well in Windows 7. These guides may help .

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-and-ssds-setup-secrets-and-tune-up-tweaks/2910

breakfast.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Microsoft does a commendable job optimizing the latest version of Windows 7 for systems with SSDs, leaving little to tweak manually. Don't expect to see additional performance from "tweaking".

:user:

Ask a Question