Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Sega / Nes

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Other

Votes: 22 14.9%

• Total voters
Reaction score
What was you first computer

An Apple //c. Love it as it was the laptop of the early 80's since you could carry it (looked like a briefcase) and pluged into a TV.

So notebooks started in 1983

Reaction score
God Im old!

In 7th grade (after school) I went up to the High School to get blazing 110 baud access to the local university computer.

We accessed it by connecting a rotary dial phone handset to an acoustic data coupler connected to a ASR-33 Teletype.

In those days we saved our basic programs to yellow punch tape(output and inputted on the left side of the TTY).

Files were stored in CATalogs and the command to delete a file from the catalog was "KILL filename"

She looked like this one:

asr33748586jx8.jpg

Reaction score
What a cracking post.

My computers were as follows....

ZX Spectrum 16K
ZX Spectrum 48K+
Commodore 64 (with 5 1/2 Inch Disk Drive)
Commodore Amiga 500
Commodore Amiga 1200 (with Hard Drive)
PC 133Mhz with a massive 32MB Ram
PC 400Mhz Celeron (Yak)
PC AMD Athlon 1200
PC 3Ghz HT P4 (Current PC)

I have also had a few consoles but always use the PC for gaming anyway.

This post evokes some really fond memories :D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
My very first was an Atari 400 way back in the early/mid 80"s some time :D
Wrote my very first programe in Atari Basic :D
& flew my very first flight simulator... Thought that was just the shiznit :D:D:D rofl
And the graphics! After pac man & space invaders they were just top of the line!
Everything stored on tapes. And Floppy discs were big enough to eat your dinner off :D

Reaction score
cirianz said:
And Floppy discs were big enough to eat your dinner off :D

Yes, This reminded me of one computer that I had very briefly, I hadn't mentioned it when I first added my post, when I mentioned having the Tandy Color Computer's 1, 2 and 3, then the Tandy 1000HX, which was just about useless, as even though the cost of it brand new dropped from around $600.00 in half down to $300.00, I was limited to what I could do with it as the hard drives were purchased seperately, and they weren't available new anymore, and that was why the price drop, etc.

I can't remember the name or model of the computer, but you mentioning that the floppies were so large with yours, that you could eat off of them, reminded me of one that I had where the keyboard and monitor were all together in one unit, and the floppy slot, where you put the floppy disk into, was next to the monitor screen, to the Right I think, but it may have been to the Left, I just don't remember, especially since it was long ago and I only had the computer just briefly, mainly because I couldn't find software for it.

I did find one floppy disk, that was for a mailing list, for it, but that was all I could find around here for the computer, and that was found on a discount(ed)/discontinued table of items no longer being sold or stocked at a Radio Shack store, but what I wanted to say is that I do remember that the floppy disk was 10 inches in size, not 3.5 inches, not 5.25 inches, but 10 inches in size, so I do remember them being very large.

My first computer, that I used over the phone line, was one of the Tandy Color Computers, called COCO Computer for short. and I had purchased what was called a 4-in-1 Slot adapter, which plugged into the side of the COCO because that was only one slot, mainly for game cartridges, but the 300-baud modem also plugged into it, so buying the 4 in 1 slot adapter, and plugging it into the slot of the computer allowed me to convert one slot into 4 slots. Later on I got a 1200-Baud modem, then later on a 2400-baud modem, etc, building up later on to the maximum speed until the Internet became available to the general public.

I actually had the Color computers, plus a few others, until I got a computer capable of accessing the Internet with, and that ran Windows instead of DOS, and that was after I had used one of those WebTV "Classic" units to access the Internet with for 4 years first, but then, when I moved to town, I finally got rid of them, all except for one of them which I still have, but haven't really used it for quite some time because all I was using it for was to play those games by Atari and I had purchased a CD-ROM of Atari games for Windows so I don't even need the computer for that.

As far as games go, I had purchased Pong from a store called Coast To Coast, but I don't even know whether that even exists anymore, the store that is...and I then later had the Atari 2600, never had the 5200 though that came out later, and I had remembered that they were talking about converting the 2600 or 5200 into more or less a "personal computer," but I don't think that that ever came about.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
lol, yes, & remember, floppy discs really were floppy back then too :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
A Sinclair ZX Spectrum. with rubber keys, tape recorder as hard disk and black and White TV with VGA input as monitor, 4 Mega Hurts processor?, 64k ram?. The first program I wrote was how to change colour on it, boy, that was a thrill! LOL! Cost me a lot of money in those days, it was 1980/81

Reaction score
Vic20, then the 64. Graphics, sound and basic programing! First PC was a 286 with a massive 1MB of ram. Doom I came out andl upgraded to 386 and a walloping 8Mb. Great memories..

Reaction score
First home computer was an Atari 400 dad brought home one day. First 'real' computer I ever worked on was an PDP - 11................. those were the days.

Reaction score
I had a Sinclair ZX81 with the mighty 16k ram pack...Pure Magic at the time. I still use ZX81s to explain the power and storage of modern pcs to a mate.

I tell him what my new pc is and he says "Yeah but how many ZX81s is that" I give a phone number like number and his eyes pop out!

3d Monster Maze ftw!!!

Reaction score
Hey guys hope im not breaking any forum rules here, but just thought id let you know theres a great article in the April edition of Personal Computer World magazine. Its to celebrate 30 years of PCW and theres loads of facts, pictures etc of the last 30 years in the computer scene, Anyone who finds this thread interesting (Like me ;) ) will prolly enjoy it :)

Cheers Lee.

Reaction score
My First Computer.

My first computer was a Commodore 64 with a Datasette tape system in 1992-93. I still have the original Microsoft instructional manual that I bought by mail. I bought the computer in a pawnshop, in Brisbane, Australia first. I tried to plug it to a black and white portable television but I couldn't start it. I went to a charity thrift shop where I bought an old monitor. After I received my instructional manual, I went out and bought some connecting cables and connected it to the monitor. I bought brand new audio tapes for the datasette and in five and a half hours, I was saving data on tape.

Reaction score
My first one was a Brother I think it had something like a 2mb hard drive and a green CRT screen.

Ask a Question