When did you get your first computer

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been playing on a Spectrum Emulator again today, and its great :) The spectrum was my first computer, from about 15 years ago.

Its quite strange how the games are just as entertaining, even though the graphics are nothing like todays. Just goes to show how far gameplay goes!

What was your first computer?

Reaction score
I honestly can't remember my first computer sadly !!! No doubt it was probaly one of those lame ones that could hardly do anything if that ! lol

I wish i could, i remember the really old computers with like the disk you put in was the size of like 3 floppy's !!! :p hehe My how technology goes !

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Belloni said:
I wish i could, i remember the really old computers with like the disk you put in was the size of like 3 floppy's !!! :p hehe My how technology goes !

The origional "floppy" disks that were actually really floppy? They were really great :D

Quadophile said:
Sinclair ZX Spectrum back in 1981 :D

You beat me :D, mine was a Sinclair 48k! Then changed to a 128K then a 128K 2+ complete with disk drive. Never had the origional ZX, those things were amazing for the time!

Reaction score
1949:thumb:

I started school they were called T.E.A.C.H.E.R.S then though;) . And a floppy as it is known now was a slipper OUCH.:D and the HDD was a cane.:(

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
my dad got an olivetti 286 or something like that in about 93 which i used to play arkanoid on and my dad used for invoices and stuff. then in 97 we got a PII which is still used for office work and playing the old classics like RA2 and total annihilation. and last year i got my own P4 system

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
old classics like RA2 and total annihilation

2 of my favorite games :) If you are ever up for an RA2 internet game, let me know :D

Reaction score
We had an old goldstar that ran dos - had lemmings etc etc on it... that was our first family computer... must have been in about 1991...

My first one was a P2 200MHz... cant remember when... ages ago... was better than the family computer - 70MHz Win 95 - at the time!

Reaction score
My first computer was an Apple Performa 440- from the days before CD-ROM drives. Next it was a Tiny machine, from the days when the fastest shop-bought computers were JUST breaking 1GHz. The memories..... :)

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
My first was a Spectrum 128k back in about 1989.

After that I had a Amiga500, then a Amiga1200 (I still have the Amiga's in the loft somewhere!), then my first PC was based around a AMD-K6 266MHz with 56Mb Ram, then onto a 2.0GHz (400MHz FSB)P4, and then my current machine a 3.0GHz (800MHZ) P4.
And I'll no doubt be upgrading the whole machine again by the end of this year!

Reaction score
Well my first computer was a packerd bell i think 98 or way back lol im not sure it was a hunk of junk. then i got a compaq 5330us 1.7ghz p4 512ram pc133 and 80 gig hd nothing fancy played cs nicley. But now i got the new machine AMD BABY :D

Reaction score
My first experience with computers was way back in the late '70's when I did an 'A' level in computing and I used a DEC 20 PDP11 terminal. No monitor, just a big roll of paper. To use it, we would dial into the mainframe about 4 miles away at what was then called Trent Polytechnic (Nottingham).

In my first job I was put into an office with a very early desktop pc and a bunch of manuals and told to: 'do something with this'. It basically came with a copy of Visicalc.

Then I played around with a BBC micro, used old Amstrad machines for word processing and got my own 'proper' PC in around 1993 after playing with other people's 286, 386 and 486 machines. Games like Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem, drove my interest and I ended up building my first rig around 6 years ago.

Reaction score
Amega 600 (A small 500+)

Before that i used to play on me Bro's ZX Spectrum from the 80s

Manic Miner was our fave!!!

Reaction score
my first computer is my current computer!

i got it 4 years back when i started my secondry school...

it has served me well and is still running fine!

i am parting from it this month though :( a new gaming rig is coming my way :D .... hopefully!

Reaction score
My first one was an IBM XT with dual 5.25 floppy drives. Then it was upgraded to a 100MB HDD a little later. Don't forget the monochrome amber monitor. My dad bought it for work from home back in 1986. Also.....no internet addresses. We had BBS back then. To go to another board "Website", you had to logoff, and then dial another number. If there was limit to how many could me on at one time, you had to set you phone to redial every 30 seconds or so until you got on.

My first Windows PC was a Compaq Pentium 166MMX with 16 MB of RAM. (Dreadful!)

Now I build my own with the latest and greatest.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
1960 ... you built it from from 'plans' if you could find the 'kit' ... mine never worked.

Then I had a look at the The HP 9830, in 1972 ... Wow, anybody got THAT much money?

First one I actually owned, and working was 1982 ... THE IBM PC.

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Messed around with a BBC Micro for a bit, just word processing and playing Chuckie Egg.

First real computer, '96 I think, it had five numbers (40486?), and was the forerunner to the IBM 286. It came in a huge flat metal case with two x 5.25" floppy drives and a 12" mono monitor. No sound.

It was given to me, I got interested and 'upgraded' it to a 386 with a 3.5" floppy drive and luxury of luxuries, a sound card.

Then a Cyrix 200Mhz CPU based board, then an AMD K6-2 350Mhz and eventually to first real machine, Abit KT7-R board with Duron 800.

After that, I lost track, but I know I've spent far too much money on these things :D

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi

1994, 586 computer which turned out to be a 486 really.

Served me well for a long time, actually until 2004 when I bought my current PC.

Gabs x

Ask a Question