What to do ?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ok i got a fairly clean XP that I'm playing games on.

Have Windows 7 but ain't installing it yet as XP is good enough for all me present games and anyways 7 ain't any quicker.

Got me Mandy but there is a new one out and it is supposed to be a big improvement.At the moment I'm running 64 Bit but you can't play a lot of games with it but it makes use of all 4 Gb of ram which is useful.

So do I go 32 Bit or 64 Bit for me next Mandy ??????

Playing games on linux would be cool but would I miss the extra ram.

Any ideas folks.

:cool:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Remove 1 GB of RAM.

Problem solved.
laughingsmiley.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Ok i got a fairly clean XP that I'm playing games on.

Have Windows 7 but ain't installing it yet as XP is good enough for all me present games and anyways 7 ain't any quicker.
Wrong. ;)

Got me Mandy but there is a new one out and it is supposed to be a big improvement.At the moment I'm running 64 Bit but you can't play a lot of games with it but it makes use of all 4 Gb of ram which is useful.

So do I go 32 Bit or 64 Bit for me next Mandy ??????

Playing games on linux would be cool but would I miss the extra ram.

Any ideas folks.
Game on 7 with 4gb.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What V_R said.

Luddite.

There aren't that many decent games that won't run in Win 7, there are some - CoD2, TOCA Race Driver 3, etc, but not many. If that's a prob, dual boot with XP.

I use swappable hard disks in caddies to get round the problem myself, but I am just a sad case who's geeky ;)

Next Mandy should be 64 Bit. Everything, except old version's of OS's installed purely to play old games, should now be 64 Bit.

32 Bit belongs with Win 3.1 now.

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:

Yeah right. I believe you , but millions wouldn't. My Windows 7 setup is nearly as quick, if not quicker in some ways than my Mac Snow Leopard. And that is fricking quick. And Xp would be like the pension line in the Post Office on Wednesdays compared to Snow Leopard. Infact any MS OS would be pre W7...:p

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
rtfm

V_R said:
Wrong. ;)

Game on 7 with 4gb.

... is your answer.

Dunno where you got the idea W7 64bit with 4gb ram was slower than XP ... must be some Lienux site. :)

If you don't mind NOT playing proper games, go with Lienucks.

:wave:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Urmas said:
Remove 1 GB of RAM.

Problem solved.
laughingsmiley.gif

What and spoil the asthetics of my case internals by having three pretty lights instead of four. :eek:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm with the crowd ;) Go for W7 and 4GB ram, it seems a shame to waste it. Why not dual boot W7 x64 and Mandriva 2010 :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
... is your answer.

Dunno where you got the idea W7 64bit with 4gb ram was slower than XP ... must be some Lienux site. :)

If you don't mind NOT playing proper games, go with Lienucks.

:wave:

7 is probably the faster os overall but not by much I'll conceed. However in gaming neither os stands out as a clear winner. For my present needs XP as it is already installed will do just fine.I'll get around to installing 7 eventually.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_7_gaming_performance/page11.asp

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Why not dual boot W7 x64 and Mandriva 2010 :)

Tis waht I am going to do with my new cruncher mentioned in another thread I can't find at the moment.
Going to use Mandy as the main OS dual W7 as a home server running LAMP. Just to try something different...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I'm with the crowd ;) Go for W7 and 4GB ram, it seems a shame to waste it. Why not dual boot W7 x64 and Mandriva 2010 :)

I am dual booting XP and Mandy now. Can't be arsed installing 7 at the moment.

I'd really like to try out some linux games on a linux system thats me problem as they will not work very well in 64 bit.

Looks like I'll have to quadrupal boot. XP for some older games, 7 for cutting edge stuff, 32 bit Mandy for linux gaming and 64 Bit Mandy as me main os.
laughingsmiley.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Yeah right. I believe you , but millions wouldn't. My Windows 7 setup is nearly as quick, if not quicker in some ways than my Mac Snow Leopard. And that is fricking quick. And Xp would be like the pension line in the Post Office on Wednesdays compared to Snow Leopard. Infact any MS OS would be pre W7...:p

Me comment was about the gaming not the general running of the os. Apart from the Direct X 10 thingy XP and 7 are just about the same im gaming from the reviews I have read.
nod.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Me comment was about the gaming not the general running of the os. d.

And my comment stands with gaming aswell as the general running of the OS...Install it and see. I run XP aswell as W7..Xp as some games won't play on W7, but in all loading time for games that play on bot OS's..W7 is a shed load quicker...What games are you playing thatyou say there is no difference..I will check and test...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'll agree with MadX. I'm running XP (32 Bit), Vista (32 Bit) and Win 7 (64 Bit) and Win 7 is the best of all of them for Games and everything else in my experience.

The above comment is honest, unbiased and made through real time experience. Many so called 'reviews' and comments found all over the www are made by XP luddites and Microsoft haters.

Your call :)

Reaction score
Sorry to appear thick,but what is this "Mandy" you all keep alluding to. Not the"Prince of Darkness" him self is it??

historian ;)

Reaction score
historian said:
Sorry to appear thick,but what is this "Mandy" you all keep alluding to. Not the"Prince of Darkness" him self is it??

historian ;)

Mandriva..Its a Linux distro..

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Flops: Install CoD2 via comparability mode and it will work. is what i did. :)

Mucks: I had better fps on the Win 7 RC (build 7100) over XP on my old system.

Arb, that link is fro mthe beta dated January. ;)

Ask a Question