What printer

Reaction score
ok my very old printer has just stopped working and after a few months of being 'dodgy' i think i should get a new one !

i would like a professionall looking one that prints in colour and is capable of printing photos ...

i like the look of laser printers but can you have ones that print colour ?

thansk G~MAN

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, you can get colour lasers, but they are expensive! £200+

What sort of price range are you looking for?

I'd suggest the following:

Epson Stylus Photo R200 Inkjet Printer £56.35 (mid range, nice photos and quality)
Epson Stylus C46 Inkjet Printer £29.75 (low end, but cheap and cheerful)
Canon PIXMA iP4000 Inkjet Photo Printer £78.71 (mid-high end, great for photos)
Epson Stylus R300 Inkjet Printer £80.58 (again, mid-high end and great for photos).

And if you want a colour laser:
Samsung CLP-500 Laser Printer - £211.49
I've got one of these... its cheap to refill and the quality is great.

Reaction score
argh ive had bad experiences with epson. I've had 2 of them, a C82 and this one which is an all in one cx3200. Ink costs £30 black, £27 colour, and neither of my epsons work with 3rd party cartridges, or refilled ones. It just breaks them.

It may just be me that has had this though.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
argh ive had bad experiences with epson. I've had 2 of them, a C82 and this one which is an all in one cx3200. Ink costs £30 black, £27 colour, and neither of my epsons work with 3rd party cartridges, or refilled ones. It just breaks them.

It may just be me that has had this though.
Don't buy 'cheap' printers ... ;) ... and we know we ALL get ripped off over the ink. :D

I'm a HP man but here I'm quoting an Epson ... The 'R' series is pretty good, and both print directly onto a CD. :D

Reaction score
lol - i wish they had been cheap - both cost me around £100 - and both have broken

muckshifter

Reaction score
I haven't touched Epson since 19** when I had a 9pin dot matrix. :eek:

All-in-ones are ok for office work and the C series need 7lb sledge hammers taking to them. ;)

However, my brother has the Epson R300 ... very nice it is too. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The R200 is pretty good too :) Especially for around £50!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
The R200 is pretty good too :) Especially for around £50!
That doen't print onto CDs ... hard to pass off as real ......... oops :D J/K

Your CD collection looks so much nicer with real looking 'print' on them. :cool:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i have a canon i865, not sure if they still sell it and cartriges aren't the easist things to find but it is a great printer

Reaction score
what u can print on to a CD ... cool !! lol :D ...

the one mucks said ... the R320 ... can you use it on a computer and a digital camera, like put you memory card in it or something .... ?

G~MAN

muckshifter

Reaction score
G~MAN said:
what u can print on to a CD ... cool !! lol :D ...

the one mucks said ... the R320 ... can you use it on a computer and a digital camera, like put you memory card in it or something .... ?

G~MAN
Yes, you can ... the R320 does not need a PC, but you can use one if you like.

It has it's own Colour screen (actually two screens) and Card Reader, and I believe under £100 at the right place. :D

Reaction score
I think thats the one :D ... my mum always wanted to print off her photos on one of those little printers ... but now i can have the best of both ( computer presentations and camera photo's! ) thanks mucks for that :) :)

should like nice with my new computer as well :D whaey !!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Your welcome ;)

My Brain is subject to change without notice.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you can only print on certain CD's but yes you can print on them, just look for printable CD's i haven't seen any DVD's but someone is bound to sell them

muckshifter

Reaction score
ME ... is correct, if they don't actually say 'printable', look for the White Faced ones.

... loads of 'printable' DVD's at the computer fair in Manchester, ME. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've never liked Epson, owned a couple and was distinctly unimpressed with both.

However, maybe they've got better, but once bitten twice shy as they say.

I'm a big fan of HP Printers, currently have a 7960 Photosmart, cost around £120.00, I'm very very happy with it on all aspects, including the cost of the ink. Prints a fine photo as well.

And all HP printers I've owned have been good.

Had a Canon inkjet as well for a while, it wasn't that great but still knocked spots off the Epsons.

If you're going for a colour laser printer, it's very important to consider the cost of the four toner cartridges you'll need to replace every so often and try and find out how many average pages you'll get from each cartridge.

As usually the cost of four toner cartridges is actually more than the printer itself.

The Samsung Ian mentioned has had some excellent reviews.

Reaction score
My 10p's worth... I have an Epson 790 photo from when they first came out, and its still going :) I never used 3rd party cartridges or re-fills and was able to find plenty of good deals through fleabay (I can get genuine carts sometimes cheaper than re-fills if i shop about) My sister uses HP and never had any problems either, maybe its just me but I do seem to see people who have used non-genuine cartridges having problems later in on the printers life...

Reaction score
even though my old printer was an epson ( which packed up ) i think i am going for the epson R320, basically because the R300 doesn't have a colour screen.

looking at the reviews on amazon they all seemed to be 5 stars or 4 ... well the R300 was so the R320 must be better as it has a screen !

gonna look well cool on with the new computer :D ... and i can hook my mobile onto it and mine and my dads digital camera's to print off a few kool piccies! :)

Ask a Question