What lens to use for Nikon D70

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Here is a list of compatibe Nikon Nikkor lenses:

Chris - much apreciated, but I printed that list out meself late afternoon :D

Which is where I selected the Nikon lens I linked to from.

I also printed out the compatible Sigma lenses but as I said, having trouble finding a UK supplier.

What I can't understand is why some lenses, mostly Nikon, with a lesser focal range, like, say. 100-200, cost about £700.00 yet the lens I'm looking at, 70-300mm, costs less? I'm a bit confused, tbh.

And I've just been thrashed at CoD2 online, I really am crapper than crap when I've had a few shandies :D

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Chris - much apreciated, but I printed that list out meself late afternoon :D

Which is where I selected the Nikon lens I linked to from.

I also printed out the compatible Sigma lenses but as I said, having trouble finding a UK supplier.

What I can't understand is why some lenses, mostly Nikon, with a lesser focal range, like, say. 100-200, cost about £700.00 yet the lens I'm looking at, 70-300mm, costs less? I'm a bit confused, tbh.

And I've just been thrashed at CoD2 online, I really am crapper than crap when I've had a few shandies :D

The 100-200mm lenses are probably much higher quality glass, and possibly faster too e.g. f/2.8 max aperture wheras the budget ones (i.e. mine) are f/4.5 max. With the smaller f/stop you can get faster shutter speeds, which is quite important when shooting at 300mm because its quite tricky to keep steady at full zoom!!

I don't know, thats just a guess really... But the £700 ones will be much higher quality glass i presume.

Bedtime! 3 hours sleep last night = a very tired Chris.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Like Chris stated it probably is to some degree the quality of glass and with the complexity of the arrangement of the glass. If you look at the expensive lens they appear to have more elements in more groups .By this i presume that the more complex arrangement gives sharper images at the longer focal length.

Try Here

It really is a minefield , where every maker is manufacturing a lens under the same heading ...ie 70-300mm and we all think they are all the same bar the price...

For instance

About lenses

Tamron telephoto zoom lens 75mm-300mm price £50
Lens aperture F/4.0-5.6 with 9 (elements) : 13 (groups)
lens construction : LD glass (Low dispersion )

Nikon zoom-Nikkor telephoto zoom lens price £230
Lens aperture F/4.5-5.6 with 12:17
lens construction ED glass with SWM (silent wave motor) , VR (vibration reduction)

Tamron 572D telephoto zoom lens 70-300mm price £85
Lens aperture F/4.0/5.6 with 9:13
Lens construction LD glass (low dispersion)

Sigma lens chart

and finally

Lens reviews here

Ask a Question