New lens for Canon EOS 400D

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wandered if anyone could advise me on a few new lenses for my camera.

I currently have the 18-55mm lens.

I've been looking at getting 2 new lenses. The first lens i'm after is too get shots from a distance, i'm no good with the techincal slang. I was unsure if the Tamron 55-200mm lens would be ideal?

Also I was thinking of getting a wide angle lens?

My budget is not great. I appreciate the better glass then the better results most likely but i have around £200 for both lenses.

I dont mind not getting a wide angle lens and if necessary would spend upto £150 on the first lens.

Any hep would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Nathan.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Naw, it ain't that good a lens and at 200mm you'll still need to get pretty close to your subject ... you have a small budget where a good lens is needed.

I suggest looking for at least a 55/70-300, but you'll probably need more money.

Have a look at a few "bird" forums, I can recommend www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk and see/ask what they are using. I've learned a lot in a few weeks I've been there. ;)

:user:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yes, it is cheap, but then it is a "cheap" lens ... not saying it ain't a good lens as it is what I would call a 'bridge' lens.

The main reason it is cheap, not just on eBay, is the fact it is a Telephoto lens.

This lens was my first long telezoom and after some month of tests and experiments i was disappointed. In the range 100-200 mm is not to bad, sharpness, contrast and colours are good enough, but in the range 200-300 mm its sharpness I can't accept. Maybe for other photographer it would be acceptable, but for me setting 300mm is most important, because my main subject is nature. I think, that its drawbacks are typical as for all inexpensive long telezooms of Canon
This is the "problem" with a lot of 'cheap' telephoto lenses. ;)

At least it is a better lens than you were originally looking at. :thumb:

I would, however, buy from a more reputable dealer and pay a wee bit extra knowing that I shouldn't at least get ripped off from eBay.

Amazon do that lens (£130), as do a few other more reputable outlets. Is up to you, it's your money. :D

:user:

Ask a Question