What Laptop? Please Help!

Reaction score
I Am Looking To Buy A Laptop This Weekend Mainly For The Use Of Gaming And Have Been Searching Sites To Try And Help Me Find The Right One. After Speaking To Some Local Independant Retailers I Got The Impression That I Would Have To Spend About 2 Grand For A Laptop Capable Of Playing The Latest Games Like Doom 3! Is This True? I Am Not A Genius To Say The Least When It Comes To Computers And Their Specifications So Any Advice On What I Will Need In My Laptop Would Be Much Appreciated. My Budget Can Only Be Stretched To £1000.00 And As I Said Before Will Be Used Mainly For Gaming. Thanks

Bears more relevance in a computer related section of the site. Sorry for any inconvenience caused,
Regards, Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Gaming laptops, in general, are very very pricey.

To be honest, i am not sure if you will be able to pick up a system capable of playing Doom 3 for £1000.

You can get a very good laptop for £1000 but generally what laptops lack is gaming ability. If you were after a good gaming laptop then i would suggest alienware but i think this is out of the question. one capable of running Doom 3 with good amounts of eye candy would set you back about £1,983 - excluding VAT and delivery.

Reaction score
Yo, now thats a hard one, as chris said alienware is expensive, but does what you tell it, like demonite but theese are pricey too, lets put it this way, any system that plays doom three is not going to be cheap. although i seen one for £20, 3.06gig and a hefty graphics card, that cheap because it had a small scrath on, and it was from the back of a lorry but there we go. Your going to need to get one second hand for that price, maybe if you trust www.ebay.com but i dont reccomend that. would any relatives look around for you maybe?

I say get a desktop, but then would you need this laptop to take round places with you?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have the IBM T41 which when introduced back in February this year was £1300, it is absolutely horrible when it comes to gaming, but, I did not buy it for that reason. Even DVD on it is absolute nonsence. Loptops are suppose to be for work on the go. IBM does make a very good machine with 128 MB ATI Card but the price is twice as much as T41 I have, even that is not comparable to a good gaming desktop.

I am afraid you are left with two choices only, to go for a laptop but increase your budget to more than twice or altogether drop the idea and go for a good £1000 desktop.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I Got The Impression That I Would Have To Spend About 2 Grand For A Laptop Capable Of Playing The Latest Games Like Doom 3! Is This True?
Yep, it is ... and I still doubt if it will play Doom

Get a PC. ;)

Reaction score
For £1000 you could have one of the best PC's around. it would most certainly play Doom3.

Sorry - a grand wont get you Doom3 laptop style.

Ask a Question