What Broadband company are you with?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, Thermaltke ... may your “experience” be a happier one AOHell than a ‘customer’ I had to call on recently … it took me two days, I got it working in the end, but not to my satisfaction.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Funny thing about AOL, I had their dial up service for about 5 or 6 years, everybody on forums always took the mick out of me, but it worked, and it worked well. Their browser was a bit of a pain in the bum, seeing as how it crept over the hard drive worse than Nortons, but I was pleased with it. And also, at that time they were the only dial up ISP who'd allow you to do big downloads lasting 8 hours or more, that's how I got XP SP1, took about 10 hours on 56K, that one. At the time, every single other one of the dial up ISP's would cut you off after a couple of hours or so.

I almost went AOL Broadband, but there's a download limit, ironically enough, and they actually told me, via e-mail, that, and I quote: 'AOL's Broadband service is not suitable for on line Gaming'

So that was that. Goodbye AOL, hello Zen.

Reaction score
I'm with Pipex very good isp
512k =£22 aprox
1mb =£30 aprox
But I 'm on a 12 month contract although I think I heard they offer a 3month option also...
I would stay away from BT and AOL..... many techs I talk with find BT unreliable and also quit restrictive (blocking ports etc.) AOL... I just don't like them... I've heard too many stories of AOL not cancelling subscriptions and still taking money out of accounts 6 months after cancellation, the browser is awful.. Also don't use the USB modems... I used one on a friends laptop with zonealarm runnig and anti-virus, it was hit with a virus within 20mins of connecting..... bad idea!!! Get an ADSl router firewall modem.

Just my pennies worth !!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
psd99 said:
thanks for your replies

what about BULLDOG ADSL?

looking at their site they can provide me 20quid for first three months for 1mb broadband! and 30quid a month thereafter. connection fee is £1 providing i take a 12month contract. no download limits. ill have to get my own modem though, but im gona get a good one (see my other form)

anyone heard of this company? where are the flaws? this looks too good to be true
I'm about to join this service. Unfortunately we just missed their great value primetime service. They wholesale broadband in a sort of no frills way, I don't think there is e-mail, webspace etc. provided.

I also haven't heard/seen much bad news about this firm except the one odd downtime complaint.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I almost went AOL Broadband, but there's a download limit, ironically enough, and they actually told me, via e-mail, that, and I quote: 'AOL's Broadband service is not suitable for on line Gaming'

So that was that. Goodbye AOL, hello Zen.
Yeah theres nothing wrong with my AOL, and another thing, the gaming, i can run CoD Multiplayer and battlefield with a bit of lagging on my 56k, so i doubt theres going to be any problem with 1042k. i think they said that for people with little RAM as my aol uses 200mb, and a good game can use over 300, so thats most normal computers swallowed up.

I also have no limitations at all, i'm completely free.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Banger said:
I'm about to join this service. Unfortunately we just missed their great value primetime service. They wholesale broadband in a sort of no frills way, I don't think there is e-mail, webspace etc. provided.

I also haven't heard/seen much bad news about this firm except the one odd downtime complaint.

cool well mate if we join by 13th september (this monday) itll cost ONE POUND for connection fee. thats providing you take a 1mb or 2mb connection

if i get broadband im v sure itll be bulldog. and im going to get a good firewall router/ modem. so thanks for mentioning that because one of you did!!

pikakilla

Proud Cruncher!
Reaction score
Virgin.net 24.00 per month 512k
very reliable
monthly contract
no download limit

Reaction score
pikakilla said:
Virgin.net 24.00 per month 512k
very reliable
monthly contract
no download limit

Well Done Sir Richard Branson.........................

when looking around this is the only company i could find that does not tie you down on a 12month or 3 month contract. Virgin simply great!

bloody marvellous no commitment :)

Reaction score
went for Bulldog ADSL in the end, just sitting tight rite now waiting for BROADBAND!!!!

Thought about this long and hard 3 bloody years of waiting!

Thanks for your thoughts everyone
Godbless

Reaction score
Psd i just checked out the ISP Review site and Bulldog have Low complaints.. which is a good thing.. :)... Happy Broadbanding!!

Reaction score
I might be taking back my kind comments about Pipex....
After this mornings frustration trying to get through to their technical support, which I managed after about 20 mins waiting only to be CUT OFF whilst talking to the techie, and not once but TWICE, on the third attempt we managed to get the problem sorted (which was at their end after all) and spending the best part of TWO hours on the phone...

ARGGGHHHHHHH!!!

They consider everyone to be non technical...

I may look into Bulldog for home use... but I'm stuck with Pipex for the office as it was on my recommendation..... DOHHH!!.. to be fair.... we have very few connection problems with pipex, so they are reliable.... I just hate the support side of these companies and their arrogance.... We had just switched to a higher grade option and started shellin out more money to this company only to be treated like crap from the support team...

Pipex...... you get my vote for 'Crap Award of the Week '

Sorry guys.... rant over..!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Howlinwolf said:
I might be taking back my kind comments about Pipex....
After this mornings frustration trying to get through to their technical support, which I managed after about 20 mins waiting only to be CUT OFF whilst talking to the techie, and not once but TWICE, on the third attempt we managed to get the problem sorted (which was at their end after all) and spending the best part of TWO hours on the phone...

ARGGGHHHHHHH!!!

They consider everyone to be non technical...

I may look into Bulldog for home use... but I'm stuck with Pipex for the office as it was on my recommendation..... DOHHH!!.. to be fair.... we have very few connection problems with pipex, so they are reliable.... I just hate the support side of these companies and their arrogance.... We had just switched to a higher grade option and started shellin out more money to this company only to be treated like crap from the support team...

Pipex...... you get my vote for 'Crap Award of the Week '

Sorry guys.... rant over..!!!

sorry to hear about this
but no company is perfect, ever company has its bad representatives aswell as the very best representatives!

some ppl enjoy their work helping others. whereas others hate thier work and coulndt give a s*** about others

ive seen this everywhere i go in life!!!

hope ur problem gets sorted
good luck

Reaction score
Zetnet (Englands oldest ISP) have a VERY good deal on at the moment - uncapped 2mb ADSL with Static IP for £34.99 a month!

We are tempted...!!

Reaction score
DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT JOINING BULLDOG

i have been with bulldog for 9 months and am still waiting for a bill. after checking their site i found out that my current ballance is over £300, but still no sign of any request for payment. it is starting to P**s me off

Ask a Question