What Broadband company are you with?

Reaction score
Just wondering what Internet Broadband company everyone is with?

Can you reccomend me a company I should get broadband from?

For my location here in Great Britain, i am not going to be able to recieve cable broadband!
So my main route will be ADSL, looking for prehaps 1mb instead of 512kbs, also not particulary looking for a 12 month commitment.

so please tell me what companies everyone is with, and your opinons of them as a valued customer.

thanks in advance!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Zen

Not the cheapest, I grant you, but I have no problems with them and no download limits.

Minimum contract - 1 month - that's what attracted me to them, tbh

£27.99 a month.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
NTL (Cardiff South Wales)

1500 DL, 750 up :D :p

Free modem, (using fibreoptic cable) Free fitting/installation, 0845 650 0121 direct support number to a real person or 0800 indirect, you have to press 1 for this 2 for that and, that gets on my nerves ... 10 email addesses POP3, 10Mb website space.

£34.99 per month ... cheaper and slower alternatives are available.

... end of advert. :D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Lineone/Tiscali £25

512K Free Modem and setup 10 emails with 10mb storage, free web space

Reaction score
thanks for your replies

what about BULLDOG ADSL?

looking at their site they can provide me 20quid for first three months for 1mb broadband! and 30quid a month thereafter. connection fee is £1 providing i take a 12month contract. no download limits. ill have to get my own modem though, but im gona get a good one (see my other form)

anyone heard of this company? where are the flaws? this looks too good to be true

Last edited:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Probably the slowest ere then!

300k NTL £18 a month.

I aint a downloader, but I play online games alot, and this does the job perfect ;).

NTL upgraded everyones cable modems for free about a month ago:

128k - 300k
500k - 750k
1MB - 1.5MB

Reaction score
Am actaully looking to migrate and uprate soon... for £23.99 we get the following...

2 megabyte connection
Either 4 or 5 gig of monthly bandwidth (from the charts it looks like this will do us fine)
8 block static IP addresses
150 meg of web space
24/7 technical support at a local call rate
Free migration
Customer reward scheme (i refer someone and i get 50p per month off)

This looks like a very good deal to me - i know someone who is using the same service and he loves it! download speeds of 1meg in 4 seconds...

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Am actaully looking to migrate and uprate soon... for £23.99 we get the following...

2 megabyte connection
Either 4 or 5 gig of monthly bandwidth (from the charts it looks like this will do us fine)
8 block static IP addresses
150 meg of web space
24/7 technical support at a local call rate
Free migration
Customer reward scheme (i refer someone and i get 50p per month off)

This looks like a very good deal to me - i know someone who is using the same service and he loves it! download speeds of 1meg in 4 seconds...

forgive me if u mentioned it earlier. but what company is this with?

this looks like a good deal , but u mention 'upgrade' dont think i could get it then!
im the new kid on the block!

Reaction score
sorry i forgot to mention!!! my bad...

Its www.plus.net

if you have ADSL at the moment and wish to change, what you do is "migrate" - your internet connection never stops to your house, but the company that supplies it does.

What i will have to do, because i want a faster connection, is "uprate" - i have to migrate to an identical service then uprate the speed - migration to them is free and upration is about £15 APARENTLY lol...

If you have not got ADSL then you will need to pay all the activation fees for the engineer to work on your exchange etc etc... usually about £55. When you start off, you can go to any service you want...

so, yes. You could go straight to the package i mentioned, you would just have to pay the activation fee instead of the uprate fee.

Make sure that the bandwidth supplied (you can tailor this as needed) is enough for you. Theres a chart saying what you can do with 1Gb, 3Gb and 5Gb - with 5Gb you can surf for 20 hours every day for the month, send and recieve 500 emails, 75 with attachments, 10 hours of online radio and download i think 50 MP3's... thats more than all 3 computers on my network do in a month... so i figured that 4Gb would do us fine - thats the same price as we pay for uncapped 512k. BARGAIN!

Hope that helps...

oh dont forget you need microfilters in every used phone socket in your house...

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi

I am with Pipex £22 (and a bit pence) per month unlimited access. Mail boxes, webspace and alsorts. Free modem and 2 x free ADSL filters. Extra ones at £9.99 each.

I have found them very reliable, fast etc......

Let us know who you go with in the end.

Gabriella x

Reaction score
microfilters....thanks christopher

where are the cheapest ones? i will be needing at least 3!

Still considering my options, looking closely at Bulldog. looks ompressive value for money wise.

Reaction score
don't pay anything near a tenner!! rip off!!

go to dabs and see what they have - i believe i bought about 7 from them at around £3 - £4 a unit.

Reaction score
Good old BT Broadband here. Never had any problems with my 512k connection and get 15Gb per month download.

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Good old BT Broadband here. Never had any problems with my 512k connection and get 15Gb per month download.
Im with NTL.. same speeds as Mucker :cool:

Bulldog are quite good according to a buddy of mine who them. As with all ISP's selling xDSL services.. they are buying the physical link off BT Wholesale anyway. So as long as the price is right, go with what works best for you :)

Now if you are in London, Bulldog are one of the few ISP's who are prepared to install their own equipment into BT's exchanges, they also quite a mass of infrastructure (company I work for has supplied product to them). With that comes a wider set of services as they have their own DSLAMS in the telephone exchange (rather than buying access off BT). This allows them to configure connections and do/offer what they want (and their network can handle). :)

Reaction score
Shorty said:
Im with NTL.. same speeds as Mucker :cool:

Bulldog are quite good according to a buddy of mine who them. As with all ISP's selling xDSL services.. they are buying the physical link off BT Wholesale anyway. So as long as the price is right, go with what works best for you :)

Now if you are in London, Bulldog are one of the few ISP's who are prepared to install their own equipment into BT's exchanges, they also quite a mass of infrastructure (company I work for has supplied product to them). With that comes a wider set of services as they have their own DSLAMS in the telephone exchange (rather than buying access off BT). This allows them to configure connections and do/offer what they want (and their network can handle). :)

thanks sounds even better now, the bad thing i can see about Bulldog is tht ill have to do a 12month contract... whihc im not looking foward too

i could do a 3 month contract but that will cost me 50 quid for activation, for which i could get 2 and a half months of 1mb broadband!

and with regards to NDO just looking on their site actually have not heard of them be4. bujt im going to ring them and see what they say, cheers for the link.

Reaction score
Hey, im waiting for my AOL modem, before you start.. if you get used to then they are great i know from my dial up experience, everything is done for you with AOL, and as a friend says, they hold your hand and say, "this is the internet" but at 1MBPS i cant fualt it, especially at £29.99.

everything is there that you want, instand email, news, sport, games, favourite site - 1 click carousel, wallet, music streaming, firewall, antivirus, pop-up blocker, IM, and loads more just one click away.

harry

Ask a Question