Website Feedback

Reaction score
Thanks for reading.

I have a new site i've been playing with recently, Although quite knowledged in html, I am a first time developer of Mambo CMS, and have only been dabbling with php for a month or two now.

So PLEASE be easy on me, and if you may suggest the following...

>what is missing
>what is lame
>what(if anything) ya like
>what would make you come back
>should i abandon the attemp to gain users and make it strictly backend

Much thanks and happy browsing guys.

Post-Script: I also have two javascripts on the site that i would enjoy some feedback on...thanks again!

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I like the site from the header down, but I think the black at the top is a bit too much of a contrast for my eyes. Perhaps a lighter colour? (thats just my opinion though).

The weather applet is pretty cool :thumb:

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I like it very much - clean simple but very effective and practical.

Any reason you opted to use mambo rather than Joomla?

Personally, I actually like the header being black in contrast to the rest of the site. :) But I think it would be better as solid black (without the two vertical white lines above where the column borders are).

One thing i'm not overkeen on, is the dashed border around the modules.

Just for reference masterkeedu, my site over at www.cache-community.co.uk was originally powered by Mambo, and now by Joomla (they're both still nearly identical CMS's at the moment, but I liked the Joomla roadmap better). I love it , its a fantastic CMS to work with - so easy, yet so powerful when used to full potential. If you want any hint's and tips with regards to either CMS, jsut ask me and I should be able to help you.

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks Ian and Cache-man.

a few things for both of you..

Ian, would killing the white borders suffice, or be more pleasing?
and the weather mod i had to alter a bit for variable and 3 colum websites. hence the 5 day forecast being two rows.

Cache, i got a good question for thats been bugging me for a bit. You may have noticed my "more.." menu item loaded no actual page, but just a sub menu. I need a cleaner way to do this.

Either stay on current page,(maybee some link code i can use) and just display sub-menu OR

load a blog off the menu, but of my various components, not categories or a section. dig?

Any advice would be great, thanx.

Much thanks to both of you,

Reaction score
joomla

i was informed of joomla and mambo before i made the choice, and to be honest have no real reason for choosing mambo other then it's history.

Perhaps that reason is the very flaw you and many others see in it, and i may in the future update the databadse and make a switch.

Reaction score
Well my site looks very different now, and I taylor mostly to other mambo users or site admins.

My template is a cool blue and only two columns.

Many of the moduels I use on it are available for download there.

Also,
jeopardy,
image uploader,
random pictures,
pony gallery fix

and more.

check it out.

Reaction score
I would have liked to comment but I see no links to your site in the post! :confused:

If it is the link in your signature line, i just had look with a critical eye as someone who had just landed on the page. I could not work out at a glance what the site was about, neither am I convinced that it will get anywhere fast in search engine listings!

I mean, what ket phrase or word one would be looking for on a search engine to see this site (except its URL of course)? Some are wrongly obsessed with the looks of the site rather than its usability or main purpose. I hope I got it all wrong and there is more to it than meets the eye...:)

Reaction score
BigOz,

Thanks for the comment.

Landing on my front page you should have noticed recent articles regarding component fixes and module releases.

If you think it would be more suitable, in the past I had my front page a simple who we are and what are mission was.

My aim is programmers that have the time and consideration for environmental and political issues facing our planet.

I hope to provide valuable services, while educating some people along the way.

Regarding indexing, I do pretty well getting visitors from search engines, the most common queries are for environmental and political issues.

My pony gallery fix and mos comment fix are also very popular in search queries.

Most recently my Jeopardy game has gained popularity, and searching its title "jeparody" (spelled wrong intentionally) brings back my site as result # 6.

Thanx for the insight.

Reaction score
I am a great supporter of those trying to deal with the environmental issues, and politics inevitably play a great part in it. Great to know there are people taking time to actually do something about it.

GOOD LUCK and all the best...:thumb:

Last edited:

Ask a Question