WCG Connection Problem

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
A Work Unit began at 8 am this morning, which I anticipated would be ready to upload by 8 pm this evening, however, since 13:08 pm, BOINC has been trying to communicate with WCG to obtain more work. It kept failing (I don't know why, because the modem was plugged-in and the programme has permission to dial, and seems to manage it sometimes:confused: )

When this happened previously, I followed the FAQ advice in the "Help" section of WCG, regarding "Problems Connecting to Server" and have "Remote Access Autodial" set to "Automatic" as they suggested.

Whilst the dial-up attempts were going on, the WU already in progress came to a halt. If I understood the FAQs correctly, the "hang" was only supposed to happen for up to an hour, but in this case (as previously) it pretty much remained "hung" for the best part of 3 hours so the WU will not be ready until past midnight.
wallbash.gif

It's annoying to think that good crunching time has been wasted, so just wondering whether there are any tips or tricks that I am missing that any of you could advise me about please? Thank you for looking :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Sorry, I've only recently returned from work and seen this.

I assume from what you've posted that you are using the Boinc client on some sort of dial-up internet connection rather than broadband, and that it is only on when you need to use it rather than having an always on internet connection?

I have to confess I know nothing about setting up Boinc to auto dial when it needs to communicate - however I will see if I can find out anything helpful.

In the meantime can you confrm that what I'm assuming is correct?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
:thumb: Correct Ady and Mucks, it is dial-up. It allows about 12 hrs of daily usage and doesn't keep cutting me off every two-hours, but the two laptops have to be connect independently, so it's a bit 'Heath Robinson' really because I have to keep unplugging one modem to plug in the other! (We are planning to get ADSL, but have been a bit side-tracked by other things just recently, hoping to get around to it soon.)

Apologies for not responding earlier, but I've had some migraine probs today :( Thank you for your interest though :D

Ask a Question