'L' Plates up enlightenment needed

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
This afternoon I attached my crunching 'L' plates - whoopeee:D I have been feeling really excited about it, particularly as it all worked fine right away .....but, I now have a question and would appreciate your help, if possible please?
bowdown.gif

What should I do when I need to close-down? :confused: I am on dial-up (which I know is not ideal, but I've been desperate to crunch ever since I joined PCR and couldn't wait any longer:blush: ) I can't stay connected 24/7, but I don't get disconnected every two-hours, because I use my ISP's business tarrif and that's usually pretty good; but naturally there are occasional unexpected connection losses. I had a look around the Forum and Help on WCG but got a bit confused.

Rather than accidentally lose any completed crunchings, could anyone offer a few pointers please? It's a big ask, because dial-ups are probably far-distant memories for most of you.

I am using the BOINC client and am attached to PCR and the WCG - (I left all the little boxes ticked, regarding the crunching projects.... was that right?) hope I've given you enough details?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
May I be the first to welcome you TC. :wave:

I got some really good news for you ...

You do not need to be connected ALL the time, only when WCG needs to call home to drop off your work unit & download another ... there was, maybe Ady or V_R can help us here, but there was a way to make WCG (UD/Boinc) to phone home automatically. :thumb:

You can close down as you normally would do ... it is recommended to first close ALL programs, and, as WCG is a program, close it down with all the others ... then shut-down as you would. :thumb:

Hope that helps ... :D

oh, and most of us have all boxes ticked also. ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh Mucks, thank you! :D I was beginning to worry that I'd end-up making no contributions at all due to having to close down at the wrong times :nod:

Just to be sure I'm understanding correctly, does BOINC automatically save what it has done when one hits the little x to close the programme? Or is there another way of saving which I have failed to discover yet? (Oh dear, I know that I'm sounding awfully thick, but I really am keen to get it right - don't want to be kicked out by established Crunchers!! :lol: )

Thank you also for the welcome by the way :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
:D what is this word "thick" ?? sorry, not in my dictionary. :confused: :D

The easiest way to shut-down Boinc is via the little icon in the taskbar ... right click, & Exit. No work should be lost whats-so-ever, it makes it's own little restore points, so it will start back crunchin where it left off.

Boinc will automatically start-up when you start Windows ... it has been "plonked" into your startup folder. :D

There is not much to it really ... install, join PCW ;) which you have, and and and wait ... the first work unit to be returned takes forever, well it seems that way. :lol:

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Mucks, you are a gentleman :D Thank you for the info - that little icon on the taskbar is the only bit that I hadn't explored! :lol: I can now sit back and crunch happily:thumb: Great :D

We have just brewed-up here, so do have a cuppa (__)>