New To Crunching

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi everyone, you may remember me from some time ago - I haven't been on the forums in quite a while.

I never had the Internet at home, and when I went to college they did not like personal browsing.

But now I'm at Uni, I have the net in my room and I want to take up crunching.

Currently I only have my Laptop with me, but by Christmas there will be at least one desktop PC with me.

After doing some research, I have downloaded BOINC and am currently crunching my first task.

However, there were some points I would like to confirm, as I understand it BOINC only connects to the server when it needs more work - so it wouldn't be connected continuously?

I ask because the Uni has a fair use policy and don't like us to use high amounts of bandwidth for more than 1 hour at a time.

I really hope that there are no reasons why I can't do crunching while I'm here!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
First up, Welcome to the team, and yes i remember you!
happywave.gif

BOINC will upload the results when finished and download new tasks when needed. You can change you profile in the software or via the website in your stats pages under Device Manager > Device Profiles.

I wuld recomed you set it to 'connect to network every 2-3 days' As below.

1190906695.jpg

That will make BOINC download enought work to last X amount of days.

Like this...

1190906765.jpg

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Oh and the WU's are quite small, just a few kb's nothing too large. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just saying hi and welcome to the Team :wave: it's great that you're joining us :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Welcome to the team Electronics & Photo Fan
happywave.gif

Just a quick comment regarding the internet connection issues you have at Uni - as V_R says download enough for a few days then disconnect, but also if you want to stop Boinc pestering you to connect or stop it connecting whenever you go on the net, then just click on 'Activity' and select 'Network Activity Suspended' - and then just go back and click on 'Network activity based on preferences' when your ready to upload the completed results and download more work :thumb:

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
It's only my second day of crunching and already I'm having problems!

I shutdown my laptop before I went out, imagining that BOINC would continue crunching when I booted it back up, but all I get now is a screen showing no projects.

BOINC seems to have detached itself from WCG completely?

All my tasks are gone.Can anyone please tell me how to get it re-connected?

P.S.

I've tried clicking 'Advanced' then 'Select Computer', entering 'localhost' as the computername and the suggested password, but it doesn't work.

This message comes up:

World Community Grid - BOINC Client is not able to connect to a World Community Grid client. Would you like to try to connect again?

I am using Windows Vista.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oops, looks like you need Boinc 5.10.20 ... ignore any offering from WCG and get it direct from HERE :thumb:

Vista will still moan at it loading, but at least it wont be effected by a shutdown/reboot.

:user:

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Ok thanks muckshifter that's worked a treat.

Only thing is, when I first started it up it had 3 tasks to report, when I have only crunched 2 and I've already reported those...

But these tasks stated that they had only used several minutes of CPU time, whereas the 2 tasks I crunched yesterday took 7 hours!

Wonder why?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
It could be that they have errored out - just allow them to report and start crunching new ones :thumb:

Ask a Question