Wanadoo Broadband Connection Problems

Reaction score
When i try to connect to the internet, the broadband connection shows theres no connection on the adsl. The connection makes and breaks over a period of anything from 5mins to 2hrs, then it finally connects and i can attempt to go online.... Has anybody got any clues to why this could be happening???????

Also

Once i finally manage to get connected and i click on the internet explorer icon or the Wanadoo icon, the system freezes, the application doesn't start up and no other applictaions can be started...... this can upto a hr before it loads the applications i.e. internet explorer e.t.c. also any body got any clues???? pls reply if you do....

Reaction score
Your first step should be to phone Wanadoo, often periodical disconnect problems is something at there end.

Reaction score
Did do that and have checked everything they said to avail.....

Do you have any answers for my second problem about IE?????

Reaction score
Have checked for all viruses, with AVG and Norton and all the spyware&Adaware software, but again finding no viruses at all, completely clean....or so it says..

Reaction score
Randomly disconnecting and crashing when accessing the IE?

does it seem to disconnect more or crash more when downloading data?

would need more info on system, but at first glance would say to me a possible power issue.

can we get a full spec? also of any peripherals you have attached?

Cheers

J

Reaction score
The system is a Windows XP platform with a AMD CPU2100+ i think, 700+Mb of Ram 120 Gb Hdd....128Mb G- Force Vid card.

The actual fault is as follows, start system, make broadband connection(wanadoo) then click on the IE icon and its at this moment the majority of the system freezes, you can sometimes do some minor things i.e. open my computer, but you can't start any apps. After a x amount of time(5mins-3omins) the system comes to life and you can carry on without any probs......

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I’m sorry to say but the problems you are describing are typical for ASDL connections that only just fall into the “catchments” area … that is to say, you maybe on the fringe distance required to get a decent connection.

Other causes are … not using the ‘filters’, which should have been supplied.
Running from an extension socket will not help; you really need to connect to the main line.

Another problem lies in the insistence of these ignorant people (wanadoo/freeserve) to use USB to connect your modem to the PC … let me explain;

USB was designed for connecting low-speed peripherals such as keyboards, printers and scanners. It's a poor choice for networking. All USB devices require a driver specific to the operating system. These can be a source of instability and installation problems. New drivers may be needed for a new operating system version … so system upgrades may have to be postponed pending the release of a suitable driver. XP SP2 alleviates some problems.

USB is a host controlled bus in which the computer's processor acts as 'master of ceremonies' for all data passing through. With USB modems additional processing is also required to convert data. This processing overhead reduces system performance, particularly when other processor intensive tasks are running as described in 'Support - FAQ - SpeedTouch USB':
http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/supfaqusb.htm#_Toc501768611

"Q11: Is the speed of my PC influencing the speed of my USB modem?
A11: Yes it is. The whole ATM layering and TCP/IP is done on the USB host: you’re PC.
Your CPU speed influences the performance of the USB modem. Also other programs that need CPU are decreasing the performance of the USB modem. Other USB devices also take bandwidth from the USB-bus and this influences the performance of the USB modem."

The widespread deployment of USB ADSL modems has largely occurred because most early PCs lacked a built-in Ethernet controller.

Making matters worse, VIA has never admitted to having a problem with USB. Alas, forum boards tell a different story. The USB-IF Public Forum and USBMan Q&A Forum are replete with pleadings from VIA system owners with USB maladies. USBMan even has a special page dedicated to VIA USB.
another snip...
”From the credit where it's due department: SiS and ALi are equally troublesome when it comes to respective onboard USB offerings. Neither has provided a fix or acknowledges the problem."
Bottom line here is … Do not let an ISP sell you a USB ADSL modem either separately or as part of a package. USB was not designed for networking and is an inferior choice.

Also, apparently there is a recognised problem with using SpeedTouch modems on Packard Bell computers. You need to download a patch (REFFIUP04940100) & reinstall the modem.

Hope this will help you and any others using USB modems.

Reaction score
Thats a great level of feedback, Thank you.

I had already read those comments a while back on the web myself. The only area of this issue that hinder my connection Topology (apart from it using a USB modem) is that i am running it from a extension line, which i hopefully should be rectifying this weekend. But what i am reaklly interested in is a solution to IE issue with it "strangling my PC resources" when i first connect on the web as i described on my earlier post. i do apprieciate everyones input on these matters.

Thanx

Reaction score
although i agreee with mucks that USB is not ideal for networking, there is no reason why it shouldn't work perfectly well, i've seen may setups with USB modems that works fine, but there is no doubt that connecting such a device will have a negative effect on your computers performance.

Reaction score
Hmmmm, this is interesting. I am using USB for my broadband connection. Have the BT wireless router downstairs and then computer connected to that via a USB modem. Seems to be fine to me, never had problems and the speed is excellent. What are the other options Mucks for broadband?

muckshifter

Reaction score
USB is/was NOT designed for networking ... if anything it’s a simple communications port.

If I have "fix" another USB modem connection I swear, I'll go errantly insane. I carry 2 Ethernet cards & cables with me now.

However, the vast majority of ADSL modems only come with a USB connection so there isn't a great deal you can do about it, accept to see if you can talk them into sending/supply the more expensive alternative. People with newer PC's will also have the advantage of USB2.0 ports which should offer a better solution, but in reality, does not live up to expectations.

Fortunately for me, as I live in an NTL catchments area, NTL have changed their installation procedure and are now promoting Ethernet connection ...

If you are using USB to connect you will require a minimum of 80% system resources to be able to achieve optimum browsing and download speeds. System resource availability is dependent upon the number of tasks the computer is being asked to perform at any one time. Certain non-essential programs load as soon as the PC starts and will consume your precious resources without your knowledge. You can aid this by closing down all unnecessary applications. This very rarely affects an Ethernet customer, as they are far less reliant on the formerly mentioned system resources.

A customer using USB can expect a greater fluctuation in speed than a customer with the same machine using an Ethernet Card. This is due in part to the system resources mentioned previously.

USB is dependent on how good your system is. Ethernet is a great deal more independent and a great deal more configurable in doing the job it was designed to do.

:)

Reaction score
Thats all very good info gents, but unfortunately it doesn't answer my problems with the IE issue????????????

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorry goodday, we seem to have gone off on a tangent here, please accept my apologies.

However, I'm lost as to what direction to point you in other than you trying to get some 'help' from Wanaddo ... again, my apologies. :(

Reaction score
No worries Muckshifter, just as a note, when i actually manage to get connected,the spped is fantastic and there isn't any issues at all!!!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ah, a bit like some AOHell customers ... it can take a minuet or so before connection, then everything is fine.

I can only assume it has something to do with the servers you connect too ... and, or, the fact that they still use copper wire connections. :D

Reaction score
Well gents, it looks like i might of sorted it out, it looks like it was a case of reinstalling internet explorer service pack 1 again and that seems to of sorted it all out as regards the IE freezing....

With regards the modem not always establishing connection seems to of conveinatly rectified itself after a lengthly telephone conversation with wanadoo, when they decided to make the mistake of ringing to see if i was happy with the service.......... Say no more.,......

Thank you gents for.......your interesting comments onthe usb topology issues e.t.c.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Haha ... they rang you! :thumb:

I wonder how many 'customers', said no!

Pleased it now sorted for you.

:cool:

Reaction score
Wanadoo No Support

I foolishly decided to go with Wanadoo Broadband.I have an ADSL PCI modem so I didn'tneed to buy their offering! I got no connection at all. There is nothing wrong with my moden , there is nothing wrong with my cables/coneectors etc and I had BT check my phone line twice. Yet through the whole process which resulted in a loss of my normal sunny disposition due to the unhelpful attitude of Wanadoos so called technical support- who incidentally had never even heard of such a device as an ADSL PCI MODEM. I found them extremely patronising to deal with if not downright insulting to the intelligence. They gave me the run around wasting my time etc.
My advice to anyone out there experiencing connection problems with wanadoo broadband is ditch them and ask for your money back .Dont waste your time dealing with them. I wish I had consulted this forum before I wasted my time and energy!

Ask a Question