Waiting for Network Connection Icon...

Neil

Hi All,

Strange phenomena noticed recently, my LAN icon in the system tray takes up
to 3 minutes to appear!

I noticed that the webclient service never quite makes it to 'started'
status, but sits forever at 'starting'.

My shares are unavailable until the LAN icon appears, at this stage this
appears to be the omly symptom
as I can happily navigate to mapped drives of remote computers before the
icon appears.

Netgear modem / router acts as DHCP server in my workgroup of 3 'puters.

Slow 'puter is WIN XP PRO SP2, as are the other 2.

Suggestions as to possible cause and / or diagnostic process would be
appreciated.

Many thanks,

Neil

Jeff Qiu [MSFT]

Hi Neil,

Thanks for posting!

This is a known issue to webservice in Windows XP.

The following KB described it in technical details:
832161 You experience a delay when you use your Windows XP computer to log
on
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=832161

To workaround it, please disable the WebClient Service:

1. Click "Start", point to "All Programs", point to "Administrative
Tools", and then click "Computer Management".

2. In the details pane, double-click "Services and Applications".

3. Double-click "Services".

4. Right-click "WebClient", and then click "Properties".

5. Click the "General" tab.

6. In the "Startup type" list, click "Disabled".

7. Click "Apply", and then click "OK".

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns or
questions regarding the issue.

Best Regards,

Jeff Qiu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

Neil

Switching off the webclient service fixed the problem,

Thanks Jeff.

"Jeff Qiu [MSFT]" said:
[...]

rights.

--------------------
From: "Neil" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
Subject: Waiting for Network Connection Icon...
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 05:30:17 +1100
microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

Hi All,

Strange phenomena noticed recently, my LAN icon in the system tray takes up
to 3 minutes to appear!

I noticed that the webclient service never quite makes it to 'started'
status, but sits forever at 'starting'.

My shares are unavailable until the LAN icon appears, at this stage this
appears to be the only symptom
as I can happily navigate to mapped drives of remote computers before the
icon appears.

Netgear modem / router acts as DHCP server in my workgroup of 3 'puters.

Slow 'puter is WIN XP PRO SP2, as are the other 2.

Suggestions as to possible cause and / or diagnostic process would be
appreciated.

Many thanks,

Neil

Jeff Qiu [MSFT]

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your update.

I am very glad to hear that the problem is fixed.

We look forward to helping you in the future.

Have a great day!