Windows 7 W7 Rc

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Later today i plan on grabbing the RC (release candidate) version of Windows 7 before the Aug 20th shut off date. I do plan on buying Windows 7 as seeing how limiting XP would be to my new comupter - RAM wise anyway - I anyone else using it>?

Reaction score
Alf said:
- I anyone else using it>?

Yup..I have been using it since the RC was released...Absolutley love it, and will be buyoing it as soon as its released...You'll enjoy it in my honest opinion............:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Using it here too, and I love it :)

It's well worth trying Alf! Are you going to dual boot or use it as your main OS?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Been tryin to get the chance to try this for ages....

I DL'ed it last night, providing i have time im gonna install it this weekend. :)

Anyone got any tips/advice?

Reaction score
V_R said:

I DL'ed it last night, providing i have time im gonna install it this weekend. :)

Stick it in and let it do its thing...:p I haven't really got any tips as the machine I am running it on is a simple as can be machine. No fancy graphics cards or sound cards, so no need to be searching for drivers. Flash was a bit of a pain for FireFox, but if I can rmeber you don't use flash...
Setting up MS Office 2003 was a pain aswell.... Installed fine, got SP3 as soon as I did updates, but for some reason, I had to go into Safe Mode to accept the EULA.. And tht has been the same on about 5 machines that I have set up W7 on for friends and family...
Otherwise it is top notch. I used vLite to slim W7 down, get rid of all the language crap and the like that MS gives that we don't use. Don't know if its my imagination, but it seems a shed load faster. And even on my crappy machine boot up is about 30 to 45 seconds. So I would iimagine a bit quicker for you guys with super duper machines..

Reaction score
Highly recommend it. I've been using it at home since the RC was released. I got round to installing it on my PC last week (myself and the IT Manager are testing it out, to see how good it is, as to find out if we are going to make the push when it comes out)

My work PC specs aren't that good. But it works very well - very quick, more so than Vista. As a lot of people have already said on this thread, you will love it :thumb:

Had no problems installing everything, no compatability issues - worked a treat.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you going to use it as your main OS, dual boot or run it in VirtualBox? I can't think of any tips off the top of my head - apart from making sure you backup your old OS just in case ;) It's great to play with and it's a big improvement from Vista.

Madxgraphics said:
And even on my crappy machine boot up is about 30 to 45 seconds. So I would iimagine a bit quicker for you guys with super duper machines..

Yep, it's much faster boot on all PCs - on a fast one it's just over 20 seconds! ~25s on mine now.

Reaction score
V_R said:

as for speed..I have an 250 Hitachi extrenal HDD...30 gig of music on it..Cut and paste said music into My Music on said W7 Hdd...Done in under 10 minutes..Quick or what..With Vista or XP I would have been waiting over 3 hours for it to copy over....

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I plan on using it as the main OS once my computer parts get in. Looks like i have nothing to worry about. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It is good, basically it's a patched/modified Vista that runs faster.

There still aren't some drivers available though and as ever you'll lose the capability to play some older games.

But that's always been the case between versions of Windows I suppose.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm gonna jump in and use it as my main OS, but ill be keeping my main disk atm as is incase i need to swap back. :)

I haven't read about any issue regarding my hardware, even the creative drivers for my sound card seen to be good, and i might try the 'Daniel K' modded drivers as they seem to be favourites with win7 users.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
well how old are we talking? the oldest game i play is Warcraft 3.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
as for speed..I have an 250 Hitachi extrenal HDD...30 gig of music on it..Cut and paste said music into My Music on said W7 Hdd...Done in under 10 minutes..Quick or what..With Vista or XP I would have been waiting over 3 hours for it to copy over....

What cpu was that with ??

I just moved 66.8 GB in 28 mins from a external drive to me hdd using Mandy 64 with a Athlon 64 X2 5600. Which I thought was pretty respectable time wise.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
What cpu was that with ??

I just moved 66.8 GB in 28 mins from a external drive to me hdd using Mandy 64 with a Athlon 64 X2 5600. Which I thought was pretty respectable time wise.

nod.gif

Celeron D 1.8Ghz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
well how old are we talking? the oldest game i play is Warcraft 3.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about then :thumb:

Lemme think, I can hold up TOCA Race Driver 3 as an example of a game that Vista won't run.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
now that ive been using W7 for a bit - I have but one complaint. Compared to XP, W7 'looks' blurrier. I dont know if its the drivers (newest ones) - games look fine, but the text in firefox and steam seem blurry. Anyone else have similar experiences?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Not got round to installing it yet. (this weekend hopefully) Its not anything to do with Cleartype is it?

Ask a Question