W2k to W98 nnetwork not working

KH

Equipment :

W98 laptop with a Xircom PCMCIA ethernet 100 + modem 56 combo
W2k Pentium 200MMX desktop with a Realtek NIC 10/100
Linksys EtherFast 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch (hub?)

Both NICs are working according to Settings->Control Panel->Network. But
neither one can see the other. The hub lights are on. I've never set up a
network before. Should I assign an IP address to each? What client and
protocol settings should I have? The W2k computer is using 'Client for
Microsoft Networks' and the laptop is using 'NetBUI'. I think this is the
problem, but I do not know how to load the same clients on the two computers
and which to use. I'd be greatful for some help.

Thanks,

Karl

daytripper

Equipment :

W98 laptop with a Xircom PCMCIA ethernet 100 + modem 56 combo
W2k Pentium 200MMX desktop with a Realtek NIC 10/100
Linksys EtherFast 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch (hub?)

Both NICs are working according to Settings->Control Panel->Network. But
neither one can see the other. The hub lights are on. I've never set up a
network before. Should I assign an IP address to each? What client and
protocol settings should I have? The W2k computer is using 'Client for
Microsoft Networks' and the laptop is using 'NetBUI'. I think this is the
problem, but I do not know how to load the same clients on the two computers
and which to use. I'd be greatful for some help.

Urg...You're not going to get too far without TCP/IP.

Try starting here: www.practicallynetworked.com

Matt Hickman

KH said:
Both NICs are working according to Settings->Control Panel->Network. But
neither one can see the other. The hub lights are on. I've never set up a
network before. Should I assign an IP address to each? What client and
protocol settings should I have? The W2k computer is using 'Client for
Microsoft Networks' and the laptop is using 'NetBUI'. I think this is the
problem, but I do not know how to load the same clients on the two computers
and which to use. I'd be greatful for some help.

Your problem is that you are running two different protocols. The Win98
machine is running Netbeui and the W2k machine is running TCP/IP. You need
to have them running at least one protocol in common. NETBeui is the
most simple for a two node LAN. TCP/IP is what you want for Internet
access. You can have both.

The following link will tell you how to set up NetBeui on Windows 2000:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000pro/maintain/makeconn.mspx

And TCP/IP on Windows 98:

http://muweb.millersville.edu/~resnet/setup/win9598.html

which may not tell you everything you need to know for your setup.

--
Matt Hickman
I'm better than a lawyer, my mind is not cluttered with stale

KH

Matt Hickman said:
"KH" <[email protected]> wrote in message

[...]

I now am running TCP/IP on both computers and have given each one an IP
address of 192.168.1.1 or 2 and a Subnet Mask of 250.250.250.0. They are
both part of the same Workgroup. I sign onto both computers using the same
Name and Password. The Network Neighborhood on each computer shows only
itself and can ping only itself. I have a a ZoneAlarm firewall but it shows
no activity from the pinging and it probably should not. Any more
suggestions?

Thanks,

Karl

KH

Richard G. Harper said:
Start at these sites:

http://www.wown.com
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

Both have "how-to" sites to tell you how to set up a home network.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] (e-mail address removed)

KH said:
[...]

Richard G. Harper

1. All firewalls must be off (or preferably uninstalled) until your
problems are sorted out.

2. The netmask should be 255.255.255.0 - but that's not part of your
problem. It is, however, good housekeeping and should be corrected.

--

KH said:
[...]

Change the subnet masks to 255.255.255.0 for a start.

Then launch a Command Prompt on each machine
Enter "ipconfig/all" (without the double quotes) and smack the enter key.
Cut and paste what you get into your next reply...

/daytripper

KH

daytripper said:
Change the subnet masks to 255.255.255.0 for a start.

Then launch a Command Prompt on each machine
Enter "ipconfig/all" (without the double quotes) and smack the enter key.
Cut and paste what you get into your next reply...

/daytripper

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : karl-p5mmx
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast
Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-54-13-50-8D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Windows 98 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : NOTEBOOK
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

0 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : PPP Adapter.
Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

1 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : PPP Adapter.
Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 01 01 80 12:00:00 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 01 01 80 12:00:00 AM

2 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : Xircom Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56 PC Card
Physical Address. . . . . . : 19-02-16-08-01-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 250.250.250.0
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

daytripper

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : karl-p5mmx
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast
Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-54-13-50-8D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Notice that there is no default gateway for the Win2K machine.
If you're going to disable DHCP, you must provide the gateway address in the
TCPIP configuration for this network adapter.

The gateway address is the LAN address of your router.
Windows 98 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : NOTEBOOK
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

0 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : PPP Adapter.
Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

Ok, this is a "virtual network adapter" for your laptop's modem connection.
How it ended up with that value for the DHCP server is beyond me, but it
shouldn't be bothering anything at this point.

1 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : PPP Adapter.
Physical Address. . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-00-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 01 01 80 12:00:00 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 01 01 80 12:00:00 AM

This is a second dial-up adapter (does that sound right - do you really have
two modems on your laptop?). It's apparently set up for DHCP - and at first
glance it apparently gained an IP address from somewhere. But it shouldn't
have *that* address - DUN agents usually gain *routable* addresses from the
dial-up host.

I suspect you've been mucking with the wrong network configurations on this
system, and now you have a modem assigned to the same IP address as the NIC on
the same machine. You should change this to leave the IP address blank.
2 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : Xircom Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56 PC Card
Physical Address. . . . . . : 19-02-16-08-01-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 250.250.250.0
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

Ok, this is the 10/100 nic for the laptop - the only one that counts wrt your
LAN. The configuration is broken:

- Fix the subnet mask! It should be 255.255.255.0 !!
- Set the default gateway address to point to the router's LAN address.

If you simply get the gateway addresses for both systems and subnet mask on
the laptop correctly set, you should be in business...

/daytripper

KH

daytripper said:
Notice that there is no default gateway for the Win2K machine.
If you're going to disable DHCP, you must provide the gateway address in the
TCPIP configuration for this network adapter.

The gateway address is the LAN address of your router.

Ok, this is a "virtual network adapter" for your laptop's modem connection.
How it ended up with that value for the DHCP server is beyond me, but it
shouldn't be bothering anything at this point.

This is a second dial-up adapter (does that sound right - do you really have
two modems on your laptop?). It's apparently set up for DHCP - and at first
glance it apparently gained an IP address from somewhere. But it shouldn't
have *that* address - DUN agents usually gain *routable* addresses from the
dial-up host.

There is only one dialup adapter on this computer (Xircom) under modems and
there never
has been any other. I also do not find another using settings>control
panel>system under modems. However there is a generic dialup adapter under
network adapters. Should I remove it?
I suspect you've been mucking with the wrong network configurations on this
system, and now you have a modem assigned to the same IP address as the NIC on
the same machine. You should change this to leave the IP address blank.

Ok, this is the 10/100 nic for the laptop - the only one that counts wrt your
LAN. The configuration is broken:

- Fix the subnet mask! It should be 255.255.255.0 !!
- Set the default gateway address to point to the router's LAN address.

I have fixed the Subnet mask. Sorry I'm so stupid. How do I find the
routers LAN address?

daytripper

There is only one dialup adapter on this computer (Xircom) under modems and
there never
has been any other. I also do not find another using settings>control
panel>system under modems. However there is a generic dialup adapter under
network adapters. Should I remove it?

It's worth a try. One of those two DUN adapters is bogus, I'd blow away the
generic one first ;-)
I have fixed the Subnet mask. Sorry I'm so stupid. How do I find the
routers LAN address?

What make/model router?
Did it come with a user's guide?
Did you ever change the router's default LAN IP address?
If not, it ought to be in the user's guide somewhere.

It's likely to default to something like 192.168.1.100. If you have nothing
better to do you could ping the entire subnet ;-)

/daytripper

KH

daytripper said:
It's worth a try. One of those two DUN adapters is bogus, I'd blow away the
generic one first ;-)

What make/model router?
Did it come with a user's guide?
Did you ever change the router's default LAN IP address?
If not, it ought to be in the user's guide somewhere.

Linksys 5 port workgroup switch
Model EZXS55W v2
Protocols CSMA/CD

No mention of LAN IP address in the Users Guide

Did you notice that the 0 and 1 Ethernet adapters have the same
Physical Address 44-45-53-54-00-00 ? Does this mean anything?
It's likely to default to something like 192.168.1.100. If you have nothing
better to do you could ping the entire subnet ;-)

192.168.1.100 does not work.

The network devices on the NOTEBOOK are:
Dial Up Adapter
Xircon Credit Card NIC/Modem
PGPnet VPN driver
SMC Infrared controller

Remove the DUN and the IPCONFIG command does not work. Does that sound
strange?
Remove the VPN driver and the 1 Ethernet adapter disappears, but Network
Neighborhood throws an error message. I changed the IP address for
VPN driver to 192.168.1.3. No help.
/daytripper

Karl