steve

I'm trying to set up a VPN connection to access our VPN
server at work through my cable connection at home. When
I create the VPN connection, I can't seem to get the VPN
to see any way of connecting other than through my
standard modem instead of through the ethernet connection
(or even better, the wireless conneection). What am I
missing? Do I need a 3rd party VPN client to do a VPN
connection that is not through the dial-up?

Thanks for any help.

S

steve

"Dial another connection" is unchecked, in
Connections, "Never dial a connection" is checked. This
seems to be a common problem along these threads, so I'll
keep searching for the solution, but in the mean time...

G

Steve, if you have a router/gateway in your home setup you will need to check the port settings and WAN request settings as well. Many home networks and computers can not access via VPN simply because the necessary ports aren't open. If you have a router check that first. If not check these settings on the machine that is connected directly to your cable modem. They should be listed in the remote access section of the connections configuration page. Hope that helps

G

Thanks Peter. I am indeed connecting through a Linksys router, which is directly connected to the cable modem. While I have set the pass through settings on the router, I have not opened any ports. I have seen other posters refer to opening ports, but I have been unable to find a description of which ports need to be opened. Could you guide me to the guidance?

Also, the VPN connectoid says "Unavailable, device missing" if I disable the dial up modem. This also happens when I'm directly connected to our network at work through an ethernet connection, so the VPN doesn't know to even try to connect through something other than dial up

Thanks for taking the time for a newbie...

Ask a Question