Access VPN Clients can connect and authenticate but can not access (even ping) resources

Reaction score
Hey!

I need a solution for VPN access. I can connect to the VPN Server(ISA 2000, OS 2K3) but can not
access LAN (including VPN server) even I can not ping any LAN resources. How can I solve this problems? I am using windows server 2003 as a firewall and VPN server. VPN Clients (using windows XP,2K) can connect and authenticate succesfully but can not access any resources and even can not ping any local PC. VPN clients get IP address from DHCP. I have disabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP in external interface of VPN server. Please help me regarding this issue.

Regards,
Mostafa

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have set up VPN on a Windows XP Pro to Windows XP Pro systems with standard small office NetGear router, so apologies if my advice is useless, but here goes anyway:

* Any issues with non-talking - disable software firewalls temporarily and see if its that that's stopping you. You can set the individual port to be set up to allow access through the firewall - it's port number 1735 or something like that. I had issues doing pings with software firewall running (Zone Alarm), and have experienced similar behaviour with Norton running - even on the local network!

* Have you set up "VPN pass through" on your VPN hosting siites' firewall router?

* I had issues connecting to router (error 721) and needed to update the firmware on it, but I think you're past this point.

* I experienced issues with errors 733, and found out the VPN network had to be on a diifferent subnet, or the network got really confused, and didn't know if the machine was local or remote. DHCP can give you issues as potentially it could be giving the same address.

* I used fixed IP addresses on the remote machines (with a different home subnet to save confusion), and DHCP on the local network.

Hope this helps
Andy Burgess

Ask a Question