NetBios over VPN - help please

Al

Hi guys,

I have a VPN connection to works router, and from there I have access
to the network/workgroup.

The VPN Router/DHCP etc is on a LAN IP of 10.1.1.1.

I can connect to various network resources via IP but not via netbios
name. I assume I have to add 10.1.1.1 into WINS server, but that didnt
help!

Anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Cheers

-Al

Al

Hi guys,

I have a VPN connection to works router, and from there I have access
to the network/workgroup.

The VPN Router/DHCP etc is on a LAN IP of 10.1.1.1.

I can connect to various network resources via IP but not via netbios
name. I assume I have to add 10.1.1.1 into WINS server, but that didnt
help!

Anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Cheers

-Al

PS: I just checked a PC on the lan uses DNS of 10.1.1.1. So I have
changed my VPN connection to also use 10.1.1.1 (it was picking up the
DNS servers of my internet provider).

But sitll no joy.

Al

PS: I just checked a PC on the lan uses DNS of 10.1.1.1. So I have
changed my VPN connection to also use 10.1.1.1 (it was picking up the
DNS servers of my internet provider).

But sitll no joy.

PPS: Computers on the workgroup lan dont suffer from this problem
either....

The Real Truth MVP

FWIW NetBIOS sets up and maintains connections. It is a non-routable
protocol. NetBIOS uses broadcasts to spread information about servers. It
supports 3 services:
Session service, This is a connection oriented protocol, peer-to-peer and
client/server.
Datagram service
This is used to deliver broadcasts and is connectionless.
Name service
This means that no central name servers are required. There is a possibility
to run NetBIOS over TCP/IP and then you need a name resolution-system like a
LMHOSTS-file or A WINS server. So I don't think that is the issue. Since it
works from a workgroup I would look at probably a Domain trust issue or a
Policy issue. What VPN software are you using.

your time.

PS: I just checked a PC on the lan uses DNS of 10.1.1.1. So I have
changed my VPN connection to also use 10.1.1.1 (it was picking up the
DNS servers of my internet provider).

But sitll no joy.

PPS: Computers on the workgroup lan dont suffer from this problem
either....

Leythos

Notice how PCBUTTS1 has had to change accounts in order to post after a
valid DMCA violation complaint was filed with his giganews provider.

Notice how the stalker uses my name to register an account with a
foreign Usenet provider.

Leythos

BTW you
see my headers.... Giganews right so stop your lying. IDIOT

Like I said, you won't post the link to the pirated code using your
Giganews account, you switched to a foreign one because of the complaint
with Giganews.

Keep stalking me, it just adds another nail in your coffin.

The Real Truth MVP

6 years, he's a persistent troll.

your time.

Leythos

From: "The Real Truth MVP" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.networking.routers,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: NetBios over VPN - help please - PCBUTTS Still Stalking
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 19:29:49 -0700

Actually, if you look at the headers, you can see that you're the one
stalking me, why else would you create an account in my name?

Notice the content of the message ID:

The only reason you have that account is because of the VALID DMCA
violation complaint to Giganews because of the links you post on their
service - right after it was served you created the motzarella.org
account in my name.

So, again, you've outed yourself as a stalker, like in your sig, and
that you blame me for exposing your piracy - you are a sick person.

The Real Truth MVP

See the date below stalker. Nothing was created because of some alledged
complaint. Now I know why you have been checking my headers. You are still
trying to stop me by filing fraudulent complaints again you sick phuk.