Vista will not launch Media Player 11 that came with it

John Wesley Asquith

Yep, that's right. Vista is njot even compatible with media player.
When trying to look at a video contained in a browser window (such as
with CNN.com) it simply sayes Media Player is not installed and wants to
know if I would like to download it.

What a piece of junk.

You ignorant stupe, it works fine. Just click on it first, and 'set it up'
and go from there. I can't believe you ignorant people. You have no idea
what the hell you are talking about. I've been using it from the first day
I set Vista up with no problems...geesze...

Richard Urban

You are NOT reading correctly. You are being asked to install a Media Player
"Shim" - that which allows Web Site media to play in Media Player. You could
always install REAL media player and view the media if you don't want to
allow Media Player to do so. I believe this is a result of the anti trust
ruling that found that Microsoft was "shoving" certain things down peoples
throats. Now people like you are getting upset and confused. Blame it on the
courts - mostly in Europe.

So, your assumption and statement is wrong!

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

norm

Richard said:
You are NOT reading correctly. You are being asked to install a Media
Player "Shim" - that which allows Web Site media to play in Media
Player. You could always install REAL media player and view the media if
you don't want to allow Media Player to do so. I believe this is a
result of the anti trust ruling that found that Microsoft was "shoving"
certain things down peoples throats. Now people like you are getting
upset and confused. Blame it on the courts - mostly in Europe.

So, your assumption and statement is wrong!
I believe it was not a matter of what ms was "shoving" down peoples
throats as much as the charges of using their monopoly position to
stifle or eliminate competition. There is a difference. The courts in
the U.S. have made similar judgements. The courts are not to blame, they
just rule on what is before them. If the evidence and existing law
support a particular grievance brought before a court, then how is the
court in error and to blame?

zachd [MSFT]

What's the exact message you're getting? If you're in IE and it says it
wants WMP, you may have WMP turned off in IE's Tools:Manage Add-Ons. If
you're in Firefox, you may not have the WMP Firefox plug-in that was
released last week.

Either way, this is working fine for me on all of my systems...

PowerUser

For Windows XP MCE (where Firefox can't play Media Player files) we have
this ~31MB patch that makes the plugin available to Firefox to play the
files. Is this download something similar to that?

zachd [MSFT]

31MB patch? What specifically are you referring to?

The Firefox site should cover this for you, or--
http://port25.technet.com/pages/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download.aspx--Speaking for myself only.See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.--"PowerUser" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:%[email protected]...> For Windows XP MCE (where Firefox can't play Media Player files) we havethis ~31MB patch that makes the plugin available to Firefox to play thefiles. Is this download something similar to that?>> "zachd [MSFT]" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...>>>> What's the exact message you're getting? If you're in IE and it says itwants WMP, you may have WMP turned off in IE's Tools:Manage Add-Ons. Ifyou're in Firefox, you may not have the WMP Firefox plug-in that wasreleased last week.>>>> Either way, this is working fine for me on all of my systems...>>>> -->> Speaking for myself only.>> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers norights.>> -->> "John Wesley Asquith" <[email protected]> wrote in messageYep, that's right. Vista is njot even compatible with media player.>>> When trying to look at a video contained in a browser window (such as>>> with CNN.com) it simply sayes Media Player is not installed and wants to>>> know if I would like to download it.>>>>>> What a piece of junk.>>>>>>>>>

PowerUser

Hi

It's KB886540 (29.4MB). I knew it was close to 30MB, guess I was thinking
KBs and not MBs.

BTW the site you mention doesn't open here.

zachd [MSFT]

No, KB886540 is the Media Restore Pack used to restore WMP on an "N" system
that never had WMP. It should not and cannot be used for any other system
type or purpose whatsoever.

Yeah, my posts with long URLs always go crazy, sorry. It's linked to on the
top of my site-
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html
where it says "Firefox plug-in" or you can search a little and find it.

--
Speaking for myself only.

zachd said:
31MB patch? What specifically are you referring to?

The Firefox site should cover this for you, or--
http://port25.technet.com/pages/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download.aspx--Speaking
for myself only.See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP
info.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
messageFor Windows XP
MCE (where Firefox can't play Media Player files) we havethis ~31MB patch
that makes the plugin available to Firefox to play thefiles. Is this
download something similar to that?>> "zachd [MSFT]"
messageWhat's the exact
message you're getting? If you're in IE and it says itwants WMP, you may
have WMP turned off in IE's Tools:Manage Add-Ons. Ifyou're in Firefox,
you may not have the WMP Firefox plug-in that wasreleased last week.>>>>
Either way, this is working fine for me on all of my systems...>>>> -->>
Speaking for myself only.>> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some
helpful WMP info.>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and confers norights.>> -->> "John Wesley Asquith"
messageYep, that's
right. Vista is njot even compatible with media player.>>> When trying
to look at a video contained in a browser window (such as>>> with
CNN.com) it simply sayes Media Player is not installed and wants to>>>
know if I would like to download it.>>>>>> What a piece of junk.>>>>>>>>>

PowerUser

Hi

I had read somewhere that the plugins for WMP Firefox integration are not
present in MCE. There was another plugin prior to this new one that made
firefox open WMP files correctly. I believe I got that from the MS site and
it was <300KB. I will try installing this new plugin though, but I don't
know what to expect, since it already works well here after applying that
patch.

zachd said:
No, KB886540 is the Media Restore Pack used to restore WMP on an "N"
system that never had WMP. It should not and cannot be used for any other
system type or purpose whatsoever.

Yeah, my posts with long URLs always go crazy, sorry. It's linked to on
the top of my site-
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html
where it says "Firefox plug-in" or you can search a little and find it.

--
Speaking for myself only.
rights.
--

zachd said:
31MB patch? What specifically are you referring to?

The Firefox site should cover this for you, or--
http://port25.technet.com/pages/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download.aspx--Speaking
for myself only.See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP
info.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
messageFor Windows XP
MCE (where Firefox can't play Media Player files) we havethis ~31MB
patch that makes the plugin available to Firefox to play thefiles. Is
this download something similar to that?>> "zachd [MSFT]"
messageWhat's the
exact message you're getting? If you're in IE and it says itwants WMP,
you may have WMP turned off in IE's Tools:Manage Add-Ons. Ifyou're in
Firefox, you may not have the WMP Firefox plug-in that wasreleased last
week.>>>> Either way, this is working fine for me on all of my
systems...>>>> -->> Speaking for myself only.>> See
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.>> This posting
is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers norights.>> -->>
messageYep, that's
right. Vista is njot even compatible with media player.>>> When trying
to look at a video contained in a browser window (such as>>> with
CNN.com) it simply sayes Media Player is not installed and wants to>>>
know if I would like to download it.>>>>>> What a piece of
junk.>>>>>>>>>

zachd [MSFT]

I don't have an XP box right here -- if they're referring to the old Digital
Renaissance plug-in designed for Netscape Navigator 3 back in 1998
(npdsplay.dll), that's just not interesting for Vista. =) I'm *assuming*
that's what you would be referring to. Most anything will work much better
than that old archaic plug-in. The new Firefox plug-in is what you would
actually want to use. You may not notice the difference much, but it's a
much better solution overall.

--
Speaking for myself only.