I think I may have found a bug in Vista Windows Media Player 11

T

Tae Song

I installed SP2 for Vista when it came out.

I created a new user account today.

I opened Windows Media Player 11 and it started with Welcome to Window Media Player 11 for Vista window.

It wants me to Choose the initial setting... Express or Custom.

I can pick either one and the Finish button appears. I try click on the finish button, but nothing happens... the button doesn't animate to show it’s been clicked on.

I checked the version on WMP_setup.exe and it is 11.0.6001.7000 and won't work with wmplayer.exe 11.0.6002.18005 installed.

I think I need an updated WMP_setup.exe, but I am just guessing.

D

Donald

Did you try to reboot and try to do it again? Sometimes it is not responding due to some heavy load of memory request. You can try to boot in safe mode and try it also.

I opened Windows Media Player 11 and it started with Welcome to Window Media Player 11 for Vista window.

I can pick either one and the Finish button appears. I try click on the finish button, but nothing happens... the button doesn't animate to show it’s been clicked on.

I checked the version on WMP_setup.exe and it is 11.0.6001.7000 and won't work with wmplayer.exe 11.0.6002.18005 installed.

T

Tae Song

Did you try to reboot and try to do it again? Sometimes it is not responding due to some heavy load of memory request. You can try to boot in safe mode and try it also.

I tried rebooting, no good.

It's no heavy load of memory requests, no other app running.

Safe mode is no good either.

When Windows Media Player is run for the very first time on a new account it runs...

"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\setup_wm.exe" /RunOnce:"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:1

The Setup_WM.exe is for an older version of WMPlayer.exe, 11.6001.7000. Microsoft only updated the WMPlayer.exe which is version 11.0.6002.18005. I tried running just WMPlayer.exe and it recognizes there is a newer version of WMPlayer.exe than it supports so it doesn't do anything.

I will just have to patiently wait for Microsoft figure this out and provide an update.

I did figure a way around the Welcome to Windows Media Player screen...

I can go into Sync Center (mobsync) and create or use the existing partnership and select browse this device (LG Dare, portable media device/cell phone) and Windows Media Player pops up. I still get the Welcome screen, when I minimize and then restore window, though.

Ask a Question