Vista Ultimate is slow

rmgalante

I have a brand new notebook with a dual core 2.2GHz processor, 2G of
memory and a 160G hard drive. It's an HP Pavillion. I turn it on. It
takes 45 seconds to display the login prompt. I login. It takes 2 to 3
minutes to display the windows welcome center.

I look at the system configuration and I have dozens of services and
startup programs running. I tried to remove all the Norton Anti-virus
services and programs. But it still takes 2 minutes to display the
windows welcome center. But that means it was taking 60 seconds to
load the Norton Anti-virus stuff.

Also, the system is loading 970M of programs and data into memory.
That is alot of stuff.

So far my impression of this operating system is that it is too slow.
My XP Pro system is far faster and it only has 1G of memory and a
single processor.

Also, my daughter just bought an Acer 5100 5674 system at Circuit
City. It only has 1G of memory and a 1.6G dual core processor. It is
running Vista Home Premium. It takes about 30 seconds to display the
login prompt and 1.25 minutes to display the windows welcome center.
It is not running Norton Anti-virus.

So I spend all this money on serious hardware, and I am let down by
the experience.

Kosmo

I just built a new system with Ultimate, dual core 2.4ghz 2GB mem
and a SATA hard drive. I have never timed it, but I am pleased with the
performance.
If your HD isn't a SATA then that could be part of the problem. Also
does the graphic card share the system memory? If so the amount can be
changed
depending on you graphic needs. What is your Windows Experience Index? Mine
is 5.3

Richard

Telstar

Kosmo said:
I just built a new system with Ultimate, dual core 2.4ghz 2GB mem
and a SATA hard drive. I have never timed it, but I am pleased with the
performance.
If your HD isn't a SATA then that could be part of the problem. Also
does the graphic card share the system memory? If so the amount can be
changed
depending on you graphic needs. What is your Windows Experience Index?
Mine is 5.3

Richard

He has a new computer. It should run well. Your comments do not help or
explain anything. Many Dell and HP laptop configs are really awful for
Vista. THEY SHOULD NEVER HAVE USED THAT OS and stuck with XP until battery
life, RAM, drives etc work well for this bloated OS.

I have liked MS products for 25 years...until now. And I have been patient.
This OS as it stands does NOT fit the capabilities of moderate laptops and
should never have been forced down manufacturer's throats. This DID NOT
happen with XP or 2000.

Who is braindead at Microsoft? Enquiring minds want to know! Is it time
for a Max...I am getting really worried about that with the investment in my
career that always was Microsoft!

End of rant.

Richard Urban

Your computer has Norton crapware installed. Your daughters doesn't. Your
computer runs slow - hers doesn't. And you blame the operating system?

I fail to understand your reasoning that the operating system is at fault!

You already KNOW where the problem lays! Do something about it! Uninstall
it.

Free AntiVirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html Download
your language version from the list at the bottom, not from the Download.com
website.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

John Whitworth

I have a brand new notebook with a dual core 2.2GHz processor, 2G of
memory and a 160G hard drive. It's an HP Pavillion. I turn it on. It
takes 45 seconds to display the login prompt. I login. It takes 2 to 3
minutes to display the windows welcome center.

I look at the system configuration and I have dozens of services and
startup programs running. I tried to remove all the Norton Anti-virus
services and programs. But it still takes 2 minutes to display the
windows welcome center. But that means it was taking 60 seconds to
load the Norton Anti-virus stuff.

When you say you *tried* to remove all of the NAV stuff - did you succeed?
If not, that is most likely where your problem lies. Even if you remove
Anti-virus, Norton still has a load a 'security' stuff, which takes AGES to
start up. It took ages on XP too.

I am running Vista Ultimate on a 2-year old laptop (AMD Turion 64 ML-37 with
2GB RAM), and a 9-month old desktop (Core2Duo E6600 with 2GB RAM). Both run
Vista extremely well. Please please just ditch Norton. It really is, and has
been for a long time, the biggest pile of fetid dog turds imaginable. I use
Grisoft AVG for my Anti-virus, and a combination of my router's firewall and
Vista's firewall. That's also the same set-up I have used with XP for
several years now.

JW

Chris Denny

<
I work tech support for an isp. I get many calls where they go out and buy
new pc's get them home and wonder why it takes so long for things to load or
why it takes a while to load a webpage when there are 15 or so icons down in
their tray. I have never like Nortons because of the process hog it is.
Dell, Hp and other companies get money for installing these vendor programs.

You have lots of power and memory to play with if you can safely unload the
borg garbage on it.
There is always msconfig, which works just as well in Vista as it does in XP

news:[email protected]...

David A. Spicer

If you know anyone that has a Vista OEM DVD that includes Ultimate (not a
restore DVD), use it to install Vista Ultimate with your HP OEM key. This
will install Vista without all the HP crap. Make sure you download and save
any computer specific drivers from the HP site first in case needed. You
might have to call the activation center to activate, but it's not a big
deal.

Lang Murphy

[...]

As others have responded... uninstall Norton and download a free AV program
like AVG or Avast. You could probably benefit by scrubing some of the other
crapware that came with your PC. I'm running Ultimate on two laptops here,
one with 2GB RAM and one with 1.5GB RAM (this one) and do not experience the
same type of performance issues. My son is running Ultimate on an older Dell
XPS Gen 2 with 1GB RAM and Vista runs fine on his box. Big difference? All
my installs were clean installs, no crapware...

Good luck,

Lang

rmgalante

As others have responded... uninstall Norton and download a free AV program
like AVG or Avast. You could probably benefit by scrubing some of the other
crapware that came with your PC. I'm running Ultimate on two laptops here,
one with 2GB RAM and one with 1.5GB RAM (this one) and do not experience the
same type of performance issues. My son is running Ultimate on an older Dell
XPS Gen 2 with 1GB RAM and Vista runs fine on his box. Big difference? All
my installs were clean installs, no crapware...

Good luck,

Lang- Hide quoted text -

Well, thank you for all of your comments. I will try to address them
as I work to resolve this issue, which is not resolved.

My Windows Experience Index is 3.0. I see that 3D business and gaming
graphics perfomance is 3.0, and Desktop performance for Windows Aero
is 3.2. Everything else is 4.6 and above. How can I tell if my
graphics card shares the computer's memory?

With regard to Norton Anti-virus, I am not convinced that this alone
is the problem. Yes, I did reconfigure my system to remove all the
services and startup programs that Norton uses. But that knocked 60
seconds off a 3 minute time period. It still takes two minutes to view
the Windows Welcome Center after I login. That is very slow.

I will try uninstalling the Norton Anti-virus program. I will download
and install Avast. I'm using it on other systems, and it seems to
perform ok. I'll reply after I try these things.

Kosmo

Telstar said:
He has a new computer. It should run well. Your comments do not help or
explain anything. Many Dell and HP laptop configs are really awful for
Vista. THEY SHOULD NEVER HAVE USED THAT OS and stuck with XP until
battery life, RAM, drives etc work well for this bloated OS.

I have liked MS products for 25 years...until now. And I have been
patient. This OS as it stands does NOT fit the capabilities of moderate
laptops and should never have been forced down manufacturer's throats.
This DID NOT happen with XP or 2000.

Who is braindead at Microsoft? Enquiring minds want to know! Is it time
for a Max...I am getting really worried about that with the investment in
my career that always was Microsoft!

End of rant.

rmgalante

Your comments do not help or explain anything.

Ok, I uninstalled Norton Anti-virus. Then I restarted my system. It
took approximately 30 seconds to display the welcome center.

So I installed Avast Anti-virus. I restarted my system. Now, it takes
over 2 minutes to display the welcome center.

I see improvement without Norton Anti-virus installed. But 2 minutes
is still to slow.

Spirit

Be sure to update ALL your drivers especially Video and Hard Disk drivers
and any utilities. Drivers are notorious for causing slow downs as you are
describing. What other programs are you loading after you login?

Richard Urban

Any decent antivirus will scan every single file called into use during the
boot process (or any time during the computer session. This is for your
protection. It is called real time scanning, and it "does" have a penalty.

Turn off this active scanning and you will be vulnerable to attacks. I would
rather turn on the computer and do something else while it is booting - and
be protected. I see no reason to sit there and count seconds.

As you have found out, some antivirus products hit the system harder than
others. Find the one you like and learn to live with it.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Simon John Othen

why bother restarting all the time when you can now put your laptop to sleep
?

rmgalante

Any decent antivirus will scan every single file called into use during the
boot process (or any time during the computer session. This is for your
protection. It is called real time scanning, and it "does" have a penalty.

Turn off this active scanning and you will be vulnerable to attacks. I would
rather turn on the computer and do something else while it is booting - and
be protected. I see no reason to sit there and count seconds.

As you have found out, some antivirus products hit the system harder than
others. Find the one you like and learn to live with it.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Hi Keith. Thanks for your response. I wish I could just live with it.
But something is not right and I want to figure it out so that we all
have better systems and system experiences. I have the time today, so
why not?

Here is an interesting tidbit of information. Even without anti-virus
software, it occasionally takes 2 minutes to login. So I looked at my
router. Sure enough, it was babbling.

So I turned off my router and restarted my system. Now, login takes 30
seconds or less every time. So I wonder what is going on with my 64-
bit system and the network every time I login? I wonder what software
is accessing the router every time I login. This information provides
me with a different angle of attack.

ceed

Ok, I uninstalled Norton Anti-virus. Then I restarted my system. It
took approximately 30 seconds to display the welcome center.

So I installed Avast Anti-virus. I restarted my system. Now, it takes
over 2 minutes to display the welcome center.

I see improvement without Norton Anti-virus installed. But 2 minutes
is still to slow.- Hide quoted text -

Vista seems to be very sensitive to start-up programs which are deeply
integrated into the OS for some reason. Especially anti virus/malware
programs makes boot take "forever". We have been testing a lot of
these programs to find a couple that works well. Actually the one that
affects boot time least is Webroot SpySweeper with AntiVirus. With
this one the desktop comes quickly even if Spysweeper itself takes a
while to get ready.

My laptop came with Norton which I removed immediately since it's such
a sluggish solution.

//ceed

Remove all the unnecessary "crap" software that came with your computer.
Disable all unnecessary "startup" programs. For example, WMP does not need to
run at startup. Adobe Reader does not need to run at startup, as well as
Java. Your printer software does not need to run at startup.These programs
will start automatically when you perform an action that needs them.

How many applications are putting entries in the "quick launch" area of your
taskbar? Is your AV software set to scan certain files before launching? Is
your AV software or another program scanning memory before loading?

Yes, Norton is a big part of the problem. You will have to go into the
registry and manually delete many of the entries, even after running the
Norton "Removal" tool. You will also have to go into "services.msc" and
delete the Symantec entry there.

Your problem is not a Vista related problem. It is caused by too many
startup programs, NAV and, in my opinion, possibly incompatible software.
Just because the software came preloaded with your computer does not mean it
is compatible.

Last, but not least, HP computers seem to have more than their share of
problems with Vista. This leads me to believe that part of your problem is
the computer hardware you purchased.

Have a nice day.

C.B.

I agree with the comments about tweaking your machine.

First, get rid of all the crapware. Do a msconfig and disable the programs
that you know are unnceccessary in the StartUp. I did this to my machine and
I got instant results for a faster start up.
Second, get rid of Norton. I'm using Trend Micro which is less intrusive
that Norton.

The worst part of buying a new computer is getting rid of all the crapware
that the manufacturers load on it in order to try to sell you more crapware.
Get rid of all unnecessary crapware. Buy a Clean Disk program if you have to.

Good luck...

oscar