Vista I will not be buying

Black Baptist

Uncle Joe rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
Well, Black Bastard (I mean Black Baptist) guess you'll need to cut me
some slack because this white Baptist is a rambling man. Crawl back
into your slimy cave. Thank you.

Hmmmm....I like that name Black Bastard maybe I'll change it. :)

Uncle Joe

Killfiling the troll.

Black Baptist said:
Uncle Joe rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

Hmmmm....I like that name Black Bastard maybe I'll change it. :)

Uncle Joe

Black Baptist has proven himself to be a troll.
Rather than to deal with him further, I just
killfiled him. Too bad we can't ban him in
this newsgroup, too.

I promise to look for "alt.os.windows-xp"
when planning to respond to messages.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Ript

Well, unlike you, Black Baptist, if I did decide
to go the Vista route, I'd buy the software.

"Rambling" is in the eye of the beholder. Just
stated my views on a Vista relase sans Classic
Views.

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated

No one is saying you can't have access to parts of your computer. All this
means, is that Windows Vista will work well with TVs and monitors with DRM
capabilities.

If you want to use another version of Windows, or another operating system
that does not support the new hardware, you can. But if you want to "future
proof" for the newer hardware, you'd better make sure your operating system
supports this feature, or you may not be able to play DVDs or watch movies
rented online.

If someone sends you an ecrypted e-mail, do you want everyone to be able to
see the clear-text version, or just you?

What if a movie rental company sends you an encrypted version of a movie
that you rented online. Should anyone in the world be able to read it?

Why would you want an operating system that does not allow you, and only you
to view protected content?

You don't understand how DRM works. It does not prevent deleting or copying.
It only prevents unauthorized copies from being decrypted.

It's the same as when you receive an encrypted e-mail in Outlook from a
friend. You can still delete or copy the file if you want. However, it cannot
be read by unauthorized parties that intercept it.

What you are asking for is an operating system that would convert all
encrypted content to clear-text format....that's a bad idea.

Digital Rights Management is already used in Windows (in Windows Media
Player, and Media Center). I can buy music, rent movies, and backup my files.
I can copy my media to my portable device, CD, or laptop computer...they work
just fine. DRM does not prevent legitimate use including use on multiple
devices, and it does not prevent backing up.

Vista is simply extending DRM to TVs and monitors that may support it in the
future. If you're not interested in using these future TVs, then it doesn't
matter what operating system you use. If you want to take advantage of the
new hardware, you will need an operating system that supports it (whether
Windows or some other operating system).

capitan

Ed said:
You don't understand how DRM works. It does not prevent deleting or copying.
It only prevents unauthorized copies from being decrypted.

It's the same as when you receive an encrypted e-mail in Outlook from a
friend. You can still delete or copy the file if you want. However, it cannot
be read by unauthorized parties that intercept it.

What you are asking for is an operating system that would convert all
encrypted content to clear-text format....that's a bad idea.

And you have never had DRM technology screw up on you seemingly.

DRM, depending on the terms of use for the specific media, is meant to
limit or stop these exact things. Have you ever read the iTunes terms
of use for music purchased there? It specifically states that you are
limited in the number of times you can burn each song to a cd or copy it.

DRM in WinXP, Product activation doesn't work the way it is supposed to
way too often. Many times activation over the internet should work, but
does not. See the below link.

http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/wpa.html

Technologies like this DO NOT prevent pirating of media and software, it
just treats consumers like criminals.

David Candy

Or unauthorised monitors playing the video. Your current computer will refuse to play DRM videos

R. McCarty

My biggest concern with all "DRM" is it's longevity and reliability.

So far it has been a Create New process, somebody breaks it
and then it all starts over again. Most PC users cannot keep up
with simple things like Product Keys and Passwords. Image a few
years from now when you need Version 1.2a7 and encryption
package 2.a to play your iTunes 1-27 and another version to get
songs 27-51 to play.

I deal with customers all the time who have these extensive libraries
of DRM music and no inkling how or why to back it up. I'm not
against DRM per-say, but to me it's a make-it-up as you go kind
of technology. One thing today, a new one tomorrow.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Or unauthorised monitors playing the video. Your current computer will
refuse to play DRM videos

R. McCarty

Actually, I've "Digitized" all my music and have it in a pure form.

Unless somebody figures out how to encrypt air molecules I'm
set.

I would say my collection probably stops at around 1977-78.
(Disco came on the scene around then, "Saturday Night Fever"..)

Our neighborhood Record shop does almost all it's business now
in Used CDs.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
I'm a fan of normal CDs. Lucky I don't listen to anything newer than 1990.

David Candy

I only have CDs from Enigma (one of theirs is the 1990 one), Led Zepp, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, and Kate Bush.

These are the ones that have withstood the test of time.

Yes, I'm aware that there is a limit on the number of copies you can make.
That's the whole point of DRM. You can make legitimate copies (for example on
MSN Music, you can make 7 copies)...If you need more copies, you can always
purchase another license.

There may be occasional glitches with the technology, but that's the case
with all complex software...it's not a reason to abandon technology
altogether.

DRM is no different than any secure method of communication.

If I have private content on a server, I can limit the users to just those
that I authorize using VPN.

If I have a private e-mail, I can encrypt it so that only my designated
recipient can open it.

If I have music or video content, I can encrypt it so that only authorized
purchasers can view or listen.

If you are in favor of eliminating protection on content, then you lose not
only the ability to secure music an movies, but also lose all secure
communications, including secure e-mail.

Most likely there would be no blocking of analog output.

The idea would be to prevent an unencrypted digital output from being
captured and illegally copied.

Bob

So far it has been a Create New process, somebody breaks it
and then it all starts over again. Most PC users cannot keep up
with simple things like Product Keys and Passwords. Image a few
years from now when you need Version 1.2a7 and encryption
package 2.a to play your iTunes 1-27 and another version to get
songs 27-51 to play.

Commercial companies don't care about that. Their stated solution will
be for you to buy new and throw out the old. Makes sense from their
point of view.