VISTA FrontPage Crashing

William Dross

I've used FrontPage successfully for years and have loaded FP on my new notebook that has the VISTA home edition operating system.

All seems to work EXCEPT EVERY TIME I try to create a hyperlink, the FP shuts down.

Anyone else experience this? or better yet, any ideas.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Bill

Joe Rohn

Hi Bill,

Many others have seen the problem as well (myself included) I don't believe there is a fix yet for it directly but will be one. One thing you can do as sort of a workaround is when you wish to insert a hyperlink to another page in your site..is rather than navigating to select that page..type it in instead.

--
Joe
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Expression and FrontPage Web Forums:
http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage/forum/default.asp
I've used FrontPage successfully for years and have loaded FP on my new notebook that has the VISTA home edition operating system.

All seems to work EXCEPT EVERY TIME I try to create a hyperlink, the FP shuts down.

Anyone else experience this? or better yet, any ideas.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Bill

Ludwig

When I ran the Upgrade advisor for Windows Vista, one of the software's that it stated it wouldn't run was FrontPage 2002. I suppose that was the reason for Microsoft Expression Web. So there will be no fix, because all of the FrontPage items have been discontinued. Being that Windows Vista it's hard to visualize that this is not a normal updated O.S., but totally new. Even on Vista ready pc's
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/footnotes.mspx

[...]

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]

When I ran the Upgrade advisor for Windows Vista, one of the software's that
it stated it wouldn't run was FrontPage 2002.

I'm quite sure the message said "FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions", not
FrontPage 2002.

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Ludwig

The advisor stated that FrontPage server extensions and FrontPage would have
to be uninstalled and there may be compatibility problems upon installation
with Windows Vista. Go to the web sites for information.?

Joe Rohn

Hi Ludwig,

I have heard of a number of people seeing the compatibility issue with the
FrontPage extensions installed when upgrading to Vista through the
Advisor...but not FrontPage itself. Is there any chance you can copy the
exact message?

--
Joe
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Expression and FrontPage Web Forums:
http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage/forum/default.asp

?

.._..

There is a bug in some versions of FrontPage (maybe all) that crashes when
you open a "browse" box (basically what the hyperlink box is).

The error is due to a header or corrupted HTML, when you open such boxes
they "look" at all the files to find out what icon to use, the title, etc.
If that query runs into a corrupted header in a file, it will crash out.

You can test this by using the "file open" box, it will crash there too.

If this is the case, you can find the file by separating everything into
folders, and then using a little process of elmination logic to find the
file. It is not often obvious what the issue is, sometimes it's just a space
character in the wrong place, or a carriage return in a meta-tag. I find it
is often easier to rebuild the page from a known working template than it is
to figure out what the problem is. I usually publish the site into a sub
web and start by deleting half. Then checking for the problem. If it is
gone, you deleted the file and need to republish again, deleting the _other_
half this time. If it is present, then you just eleminated half the
possible files. (There can be more than one file too, if you copied one and
made a new page out of it.)

The other theory I have about it is the corruption happens in the hidden
_VTI_ folders on the web site. So if you have access to that, you could
delete those and reinstall the FP extensions on the web to try to clear the
problem.

A pain in the rear, but might get you going long enough to get the patch.

======================
I've used FrontPage successfully for years and have loaded FP on my new
notebook that has the VISTA home edition operating system.

All seems to work EXCEPT EVERY TIME I try to create a hyperlink, the FP
shuts down.

Anyone else experience this? or better yet, any ideas.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Bill

Joe Rohn

Well sorry but I can not find any other documentation that FrontPage 2002
will not run with Vista. I can find lots of documentation saying that the
FrontPage 2002 *Extensions* will not work with Vista though.

Please keep in mind that the FrontPage program itself and the FrontPage
Extensions are two different and separate things.

If the advisor came back and told you that FrontPage Client (not the
Extensions) would not run with Vista.... perhaps you should consider
contacting Microsoft.

--
Joe
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Expression and FrontPage Web Forums:
http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage/forum/default.asp

Joe Rohn

The First KB article you pointed to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926528/en-us

Is referring to:

The Microsoft System Information utility (That is Not FrontPage)

Basically what that is is a way to see what versions of Office programs are
installed on a computer.

The Second KB article you pointed to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933305/en-us

Is referring to programs that have earned the "Certified for Windows Vista"
logo or the "Works with Windows Vista" logo You should see many of the
Microsoft Office programs listed either under "Certified" or "Works with
Vista"

In any event the statement of "All of the 2007 Microsoft programs are able
to be used with Vista and none of the preceding one are." Is simply not
true.

--
Joe
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Expression and FrontPage Web Forums:
http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage/forum/default.asp

Ludwig

Then where do you find the information in regard to installing FrontPage on
Vista?

Joe Rohn said:
Well sorry but I can not find any other documentation that FrontPage
2002 will not run with Vista. I can find lots of documentation saying
that the FrontPage 2002 *Extensions* will not work with Vista though.

Please keep in mind that the FrontPage program itself and the FrontPage
Extensions are two different and separate things.

If the advisor came back and told you that FrontPage Client (not the
Extensions) would not run with Vista.... perhaps you should consider
contacting Microsoft.

--
Joe
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Expression and FrontPage Web Forums:
http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage/forum/default.asp

I just did.
Hi Ludwig,

I have heard of a number of people seeing the compatibility issue with
the FrontPage extensions installed when upgrading to Vista through the
Advisor...but not FrontPage itself. Is there any chance you can copy
the exact message?

--
Joe
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Expression and FrontPage Web Forums:
http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage/forum/default.asp

The advisor stated that FrontPage server extensions and FrontPage
would have to be uninstalled and there may be compatibility problems
upon installation with Windows Vista. Go to the web sites for
information.?
Yes I agree with Kathleen as well. That message would have been
regarding the FrontPage extensions rather than FrontPage itself.

--
Joe
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Expression and FrontPage Web Forums:
http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage/forum/default.asp

"Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]" <[email protected]>
wrote in message When I ran the Upgrade advisor for Windows Vista, one of the
software's that it stated it wouldn't run was FrontPage 2002.

I'm quite sure the message said "FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions",
not FrontPage 2002.

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
Please reply to the newsgroup for the benefit of others.

Tom Willett

FP 2003 is Vista compatible.
--
===
Tom Willett
| Then where do you find the information in regard to installing FrontPage
on
| Vista?
| | > The First KB article you pointed to:
| >
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926528/en-us
| >
| > Is referring to:
| >
| > The Microsoft System Information utility (That is Not FrontPage)
| >
| > Basically what that is is a way to see what versions of Office programs
| > are installed on a computer.
| >
| > The Second KB article you pointed to:
| >
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933305/en-us
| >
| > Is referring to programs that have earned the "Certified for Windows
| > Vista" logo or the "Works with Windows Vista" logo You should see many
of
| > the Microsoft Office programs listed either under "Certified" or "Works
| > with Vista"
| >
| > In any event the statement of "All of the 2007 Microsoft programs are
able
| > to be used with Vista and none of the preceding one are." Is simply not
| > true.
| >
| > --
| > Joe
| > Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| >
| > Expression and FrontPage Web Forums:
| > http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage/forum/default.asp

| >> All of the 2007 Microsoft programs are able to be used with Vista and
| >> none of the preceding one are.
| >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933305/en-us

FrontPage

Extensions",

Joe Rohn

Well if you go back to this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933305/en-us

In the 2nd section that is called... Applications that have earned the "Works with Windows Vista"

Within there you will see many of the Office Applications that are earlier than the 2007 versions:

Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Office Access 2003 11.0.7938
Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Office Excel 2003 11.0.7938
Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 11.0.6337
Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Office InfoPath 2003 11.0.7938
Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 11.0.7938
Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 11.0.7938
Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 11.0.7938
Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 11.0.7938
Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003 11.0.6681
Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Office Project Standard 2003 11.0.7938
Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 11.0.7938
Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 11.0.5593
Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003 11.0.7938

Now FrontPage 2002 or earlier is not listed there yet..but there is also this statement:

There are many applications that are compatible and work well with Windows Vista but that are not listed in this article.

As well as this:

The information in this list is accurate as of March 12, 2007. This list will be updated weekly.

I know for a fact that FrontPage 2002 does work with Vista as I have it installed and it does run. Now the FrontPage 2002 Extensions however will not work with Vista.

--

Ludwig said:
[...]

John Malone

From the Vista Advisor

Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Microsoft Corporation 11.0.7938
Microsoft This program has no known compatibility issues.

I don't have FrontPage 2002 installed on this computer But this is what it states about
2003.

John Malone
===============

| Then where do you find the information in regard to installing FrontPage on
| Vista?
| | > The First KB article you pointed to:
| >
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926528/en-us
| >
| > Is referring to:
| >
| > The Microsoft System Information utility (That is Not FrontPage)
| >
| > Basically what that is is a way to see what versions of Office programs
| > are installed on a computer.
| >
| > The Second KB article you pointed to:
| >
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933305/en-us
| >
| > Is referring to programs that have earned the "Certified for Windows
| > Vista" logo or the "Works with Windows Vista" logo You should see many of
| > the Microsoft Office programs listed either under "Certified" or "Works
| > with Vista"
| >
| > In any event the statement of "All of the 2007 Microsoft programs are able
| > to be used with Vista and none of the preceding one are." Is simply not
| > true.
| >
| > --
| > Joe
| > Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| >
| > Expression and FrontPage Web Forums:
| > http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage/forum/default.asp

| >> All of the 2007 Microsoft programs are able to be used with Vista and
| >> none of the preceding one are.
| >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933305/en-us

Hi Joe, I have new laptop with Vista. I installed my OfficeXP programs,
Publisher, and FrontPage. All programs seem to be working fine. I copied my
files from my WinXP laptop and put them on the Vista laptop. I had no
problem opening the web to do some editing/updating. When I Published, the
files updated on the server....that is, the pages I edited. Several of the
pages, in the Publishing screen, files to publish, had question marks and
said Conflict. Do you know the reason for that and what I should do? Any
help is greatly appreciated :) KJW

Joe Rohn said:
[...]

Thomas A. Rowe

You need to do a full publish, then a change pages only publish anytime you (re-)install FP.

Thomas A. Rowe
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

http://www.Ecom-Data.com

Ludwig said:
[...]

Thank you. I did and the conflicts went away :)