Vista File Backup - Backup Files From A Share Regardless Of Locati

I've got a question regarding Vista's built-in file backup. Will it backup
files from a shared folder regardless of it's location on the computer,
i.e.even if the the share is not located in the Public folder?

Erwin Moller

Dell said:
I've got a question regarding Vista's built-in file backup. Will it backup
files from a shared folder regardless of it's location on the computer,
i.e.even if the the share is not located in the Public folder?

Hi Dell Boy,

Why don't you simply try?

1) Make a back-up
2) Add something to your shared location
3) Make a back-up
4) Inspect the back-up.

You can simply walk in the backup folder and find the files Vista cared
to store.

Regards,
Erwin Moller

Thanks for your reply Erwin.

The honest answer is that I was interested to know whether anyone knew the
answer to this question because I'm trying to work out the best backup
strategy for someone but I don't have a lot of time to try things out at the
moment.

KickinChicken

haha
this ng is full of "computer tech's" who charge money to help ppl with
computers, then just come here looking for answers.
But I really laugh at any nut willing to pay for computer service since the
advent of Google.
Need to remove your kidney, just Google it!

And before some nerd replies they can "build" a computer...so can any child
experienced with Lego's.

NotMe

I was building radios by the time I was 10. Soldering them together &
getting the wiring right was a challenge.
It was natural to build computers even when the components had to be
soldered together.
Modern computers require very little of the hardware savy that was initially
required.
Being a software guru is much more important today, IMHO.
But what do I know? <puts away Legos> LOL

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on my knowledge, the built-in File Backup will let you backup file to
local disk, CD, DVD or a shared network folder.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?= <Dell (e-mail address removed)>
| Subject: Vista File Backup - Backup Files From A Share Regardless Of
Locati
| Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 01:56:10 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| I've got a question regarding Vista's built-in file backup. Will it
backup
| files from a shared folder regardless of it's location on the computer,
| i.e.even if the the share is not located in the Public folder?

Eduardo Laureano [MSFT]

The file backup in Windows Vista is category based across entire volumes.
E.g. if you choose to back up pictures on C:, it will back all the pictures
on that volume in all locations, expect system only locations, such as
%windir%

Thanks Ken & Eduardo for replying, Eduardo's reply gives me all the
information I need and closes this one.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Glad to hear Eduardo's info is helpful. Thanks Eduardo!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGVsbCBCb3k=?= <Dell (e-mail address removed)>
| Subject: Re: Vista File Backup - Backup Files From A Share Regardless Of
Lo
| Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 02:10:12 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Thanks Ken & Eduardo for replying, Eduardo's reply gives me all the
| information I need and closes this one.
|
| "Eduardo Laureano [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > The file backup in Windows Vista is category based across entire
volumes.
| > E.g. if you choose to back up pictures on C:, it will back all the
pictures
| > on that volume in all locations, expect system only locations, such as
| > %windir%
| >
| > --
| > Eduardo
| > --
rights.
| > --

| > > files from a shared folder regardless of it's location on the
computer,
| > > i.e.even if the the share is not located in the Public folder?

The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly

Ken said:
Hello,

Glad to hear Eduardo's info is helpful. Thanks Eduardo!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

Hi Ken.

I was wondering if you could please comment as to if there is a KB
article on the windows updates that were sent out around August 24th and
referred to as "Automatic Updates" in the event log for XP and Vista
machines (otherwise known as the stealth updates)? Also, it says in the
EULA that users have the option of turning off these features if they do
not care to use them. How do we users turn them off? Thanks.

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

"Fair use is not merely a nice concept--it is a federal law based on
free speech rights under the First Amendment and is a cornerstone of the
creativity and innovation that is a hallmark of this country. Consumer
rights in the digital age are not frivolous."
- Maura Corbett