Windows XP Virtual Memory Error now machine won't start

Reaction score
Hi all :wave:

Hope you can help. This was a pals computer I knew it was low in memory (512MB) and had the PC to add the memory when I noticed this error message in the sytem tray:

Windows Corrupt file: the file or directory C:Secure is corrupt and unreadable - run chkdsk utility

When I ran chkdsk it came up all was well.

Computer: HP Compaq
CPU: Pentium 4
Memory: 512MB
O/S: XP Pro

There was also a error message about low virtual memory, and a small page file, I never seen this but was told.

As a quick fix untill I got the memory I went to Page file properties and increased the Min page file size to the same as the Max (753MB). I noticed that the amount allocated to the system was zero, when I applied the changes and restarted it made no difference.

Now the system starts and goes to boot menu it gives me safe mode, safe with networking, safe with command prompt, last known good config and start windows normally. NONE of these work the system continues to start itself up return to this page and this repeats and repeats nothing else. Very frustating. :wall:

Has anyone any ideas?

All I can think of is bad memory or virus but at minute cant get into system to start checking lol

Thanks

Reaction score
$Secure is a metadata file kept by the NTFS filesystem and containing a database of the drives security settings: http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ntfs/files/secure.html

Unfortunately; Google searches for "ntfs repair $Secure", "ntfs delete $Secure", and "ntfs rebuild $Secure" all result in two choices; if you made the emergency disk in Disk Management, that will fix it; otherwise, you will need to format the drive and start over.

P.S. If the problem moves to the next level, you will lose all access to the drive and it will stop booting. Also, your system is currently wide open to any malware/virus/trojan.

In other words, you also can't just live with it. Sorry.

Reaction score
JB Compute said:
....Now the system starts and goes to boot menu it gives me safe mode, safe with networking, safe with command prompt, last known good config and start windows normally. NONE of these work the system continues to start itself up return to this page and this repeats and repeats nothing else. Very frustating.
wallbash.gif

My grandson had exactly this problem with his laptop (he is running XP Home not XP Pro and I resolved it by using an O&O Bluecon CD. This provides a platform to run certain utilities without needing the OS on the hard drive. I ran Chkdsk and it stated the "volume was dirty", whatever that means, corrected a few problems with indexes and then the laptop was fine with no apparent damage. As soon as it started a program that he had downloaded from the net started with it, fortunately it was easy to remove so I don't think it was malware, and the laptop is now working fine.

I am relating this story to point out that there may still be options before formatting.

Reaction score
Hi all

Thanks for the help, I have downloaded the O&O Bluecon and I am hoping this will sort it. As my mate has no Emergency disk made and no recovery CD. If the Bluecon does not work I could be back to see if there is a way round not having the necessery CD's.

Thanks for explaning what them files where as I have never heard of them before, and for giving me something to work on.

Ask a Question