Viewing pictures in Vista

XP had Fax & Picture viewer (I think it was called), does Vista have an
equivalent?

I installed Vista the other day and found that there was no program
automatically set to open photos.
I briefly looked at something which seemed to be for organising pictures,
but not for viewing them.

Could I perhaps somehow install the Fax & Picture Viewer from my XP Pro
installation disc?

dev

/Lars Petersson/ said:
XP had Fax & Picture viewer (I think it was called), does Vista have an
equivalent?

I installed Vista the other day and found that there was no program
automatically set to open photos.
I briefly looked at something which seemed to be for organising pictures,
but not for viewing them.

Could I perhaps somehow install the Fax & Picture Viewer from my XP Pro
installation disc?

Vista has a someone improved Photo Galley and Viewer utility, which may
satisfy the casual user.

Look under Control Panel|DEFAULT PROGRAMS|SET YOUR DEFAULT PROGRAMS link
Photo Gallery should be listed there, and you can associate it with all
image extensions that it handles.

You may also want to investigate this free image manipulation tool,
which can be associated with common image files, so that it opens when
links to them or files containing them are clicked...
http://irfanview.com

Justin

Lars Petersson said:
XP had Fax & Picture viewer (I think it was called), does Vista have an
equivalent?

I installed Vista the other day and found that there was no program
automatically set to open photos.
I briefly looked at something which seemed to be for organising pictures,
but not for viewing them.

Windows Photo Gallery. It has many new features and so far I haven't
noticed anything missing from the old Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/photogallery.mspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Photo_Gallery

Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

In addition to Photo Gallery, you have Paint (located under Accessories), or
you can select an image if its in a folder and click Slide Show on the
Command Bar.

Justin

Andre Da Costa said:
In addition to Photo Gallery, you have Paint (located under Accessories),
or you can select an image if its in a folder and click Slide Show on the
Command Bar.

However, does it handle multi-page TIFF? That was the great thing about the
FAX part of the old app and the photo gallery now.

Synapse Syndrome

Justin said:
Windows Photo Gallery. It has many new features and so far I haven't
noticed anything missing from the old Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

I don't remember the XP picture viewer not supporting GIF files, but I could
be wrong.

ss.

Adam Albright

XP had Fax & Picture viewer (I think it was called), does Vista have an
equivalent?

Yep, it is called Photo Galley. It should open common image file types
by default if you click on the file from within Explorer.

Try this:

1. Go to Explorer. On the tools menu, double click on the little icon
just to the left of the word views or click on the little arrow and
use the slider to show thumbnails.

2. If you double click a file Photo Galley should open full screen
showing a larger picture of the file you clicked on. Now click
on Fix and you get some basic image tools at the far right.

3. The other options allow you to annotate the file far more then
you could in XP.

Now click on Organize, then Layout. Pick your favorite setting. I
personally like Detail Pane on. This will show a larger, user
controller copy of whatever file is currently selected from the list.
You should see a strong color contrast when the list of thumbnails
appears in the top portion of the right window pane and the bottom
poriton. Hover your mouse over this junction. You should see a double
headed arrow. Hold your left mouse button down while dragging up or
down to resize the Detail Pane size.

You can also annotate some file features from here.

If you prefer to open some other image editing application to edit
your photos, you can click on Edit and some of your other application
you've already used to view pictures should be a option. That is also
true from the expanded window that open when you view a indvidual
picture. Just click on open and again you can choose which of your
application to use to edit the photo, like I see Photoshop Image Ready
and Paint listed.

All and all Microsoft did a nice job of improving this all section of
Windows.

Synapse Syndrome

Animated GIFs

What do you mean? I don't think Vista's picture viewer can display single
frame or animated .gifs. I can't remember if XP's picture viewer could for
certain, but I think it could.

ss.

It does.

This is XP's key guide. This was generated from the Accelarator table in the application. As you can see what a key does depends on mode. In nVista Pg Up and Dn do not appear to do anything except page TIFFs.
Picture and Fax Viewer
Key Description
Up Arrow Go to the previous image in this folder (or previous selected image if more than one file was selected), move an annotation, or if zoomed pan up.
Down Arrow Go to the next image in this folder (or next selected image if more than one file was selected), move an annotation, or if zoomed pan down.
Left Arrow Go to the previous image in this folder (or previous selected image if more than one file was selected), move an annotation, or if zoomed pan left.
Right Arrow Go to the next image in this folder (or next selected image if more than one file was selected), move an annotation, or if zoomed pan right.
Ctrl + Up Arrow If zoomed pan up a larger amount or move an Annotation a larger amount.
Ctrl + Down If zoomed pan down a larger amount or move an Annotation a larger amount.
Ctrl + Left Arrow If zoomed pan left a larger amount or move an Annotation a larger amount.
Ctrl + Right Arrow If zoomed pan right a larger amount or move an Annotation a larger amount.
Backspace Go to the previous image in this folder (or previous selected image if more than one file was selected).
Page Up Go to the previous image in this folder (or previous selected image if more than one file was selected) or previous page in a multipage TIFF image.
Page Dn Go to the next image in this folder (or next selected image if more than one file was selected) or next page in a multipage TIFF image.
Enter Go to the next image in this folder (or next selected image if more than one file was selected).
+ Enlarge the displayed image to twice its size.
- Reduce the displayed image by half its size.
Ctrl + A Display the image without scaling.
Ctrl + B Reduce or enlarge the image to fit into the window's current size (unless the image is already at the optimal window size).
Ctrl + E Edit the picture with the default picture editor and closes Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
Ctrl + I Opens the Properties Dialog for the picture or for an Annotation if selected.
Ctrl + K Rotate the image by 90 degrees clockwise.
Ctrl + L Rotate the image by 90 degrees counter-clockwise.
Ctrl + P Print the current image.
Ctrl + S Copy the image file to another location.
F1 Help.
F2 Cancels a mode such as Zoom In mode.
F11 Displays each image in the folder in a slide show. Start, pause, navigate, or end the slide show using the slide show toolbar in the upper right-hand corner.
DEL Delete the image.
Esc Cancels a mode such as Zoom In mode.
Ctrl + Close button in Picture & Fax Viewer (the X on titlebar) Resets "Don't Show ... Again" dialog settings. If Ctrl + K and Ctrl + L don't rotate the image it is because you answered No to a warning AND Yes to "Don't Ask Me Again". Reset "Don't Ask Me Again" by this method.

Shows non animated Gifs fine. Don't have any animated ones and can't be
bothered looking for one. Gifs open in IE by default, but Right Click -
Preview will open them in Photo Gallery (although why would you want to - a
cut down explorer).

Justin

Synapse Syndrome said:
What do you mean? I don't think Vista's picture viewer can display single
frame or animated .gifs. I can't remember if XP's picture viewer could
for certain, but I think it could.

ss.

Both apps have no problem displaying GIFs. I don't have an animated GIF
handy to test with.

Justin

I'm sorry but your post didn’t make sense to me. It contained "XP" and "Picture and Fax Viewer". The question was, does Paint (Vista version) handle multi-page TIFFs?

<.> wrote in message It does.

[...]

How do you activate annotations? Searching help reveals only the Snipping
Tool claims to do annoations. While I haven't read every PG's component's
menu resources, the ones I have read - the main one - make no mention of
Annotations (and the accelerator tables don't mention the annoation keys
either).

You have to follow the theoretical problem solving where on preliminary examination it appears Pg Up and Dn are no longer overloaded. I've only found 1 reference to them, and as they do page tiffs, that's probably it. We are infering. Note the opening two word sentence (which summarise on testing).

Windows (if programmed at a high level) works on commands. EG Press Pg Dn and your program gets sent Do command 1000, click a menu and your program gets sent a ,essage do command 2000.

It takes time to convert numbers to features. Lucjly menus have text that allows one to start mapping command numbers. But keys just have keys and the command number. These tables seem spread out over multiple files as well.

PG is not a program I use. It has nothing going for it.

I will not accept poor explorer substitutes. I don't use Media Centre at all (mainly because the UI is pathetic and it can't actually show TV, and even if it could it lists 400 blank channels or something. Using Options was going to require multiple thousands of mouse clicks so I can press Up Channel and not Up Channel 200 times to get to next station. I have the command line switch so I never see Library in Media Player.

I work from the shell. Dos days was the last I was app-centric.

I hated Compro DTV software till I saw MCE. Which is why I bought Ultimate. Ripped off again by MS.

<.> wrote in message It does.

[...]

What the heck was all that about?

The question still remains, does Paint (Vista version) handle multi-page TIFFs?

If you are trying to deduce that it doesn't based on the fact that you only find HELP reference in one place then that is not good enough.

<.> wrote in message You have to follow the theoretical problem solving where on preliminary examination it appears Pg Up and Dn are no longer overloaded. I've only found 1 reference to them, and as they do page tiffs, that's probably it. We are infering. Note the opening two word sentence (which summarise on testing).

<.> wrote in message It does.

[...]

I answered it three posts ago by testing (my dad's will is a 3 page TIFF made with Office 2003 scanning software - the only thing I can use from Office 2003) AND with inferred (or is it deduced) conclusion. Read the first sentence. I'm not here to give Yes/No answers. I'm here to explore. If you don't want to play with me then find your own TIF.

<.> wrote in message It does.

[...]

t.cruise

Shows non animated Gifs fine. Don't have any animated ones and can't be
bothered looking for one. Gifs open in IE by default, but Right Click -
Preview will open them in Photo Gallery (although why would you want to - a
cut down explorer).

The Windows XP Picture and Fax Viewer definitely can view both animated and non-animated
GIF files.

T.C.