video editing upgrade

Reaction score
hello all, this my first thread so go easy.

i am not to computer literate so after some advice, i would quite like to get into editing my home videos/photos on my laptop. i have been tryng to use windows movie maker with some success but feel mylaptop isn't really up to the job as it is very slow and cant handle long clips.
i have looked in system setup and found that i have

2.4ghz intel celeron
20gb hard drive (of which i have 1.5gb left lots of music on there)
256 mb ram

could you tell me which of these things would slow down operation and is it possible to upgrade a laptop.

any help much appreciated
cheers Alan

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I take it thats XP.

256MB of RAM isn't enought thease days to be honest. for what your doing 1-2 GB would be more like it. But you also need more hard disk space. maybe copy some music to cd or another pc? Or you could just get a bigger drive.

Laptops are not the easiest to upgrade though, and i dont know the 'ins and outs' of them as much as others here, but hopefully i have given you the idea. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry, I ain't as "polite" as V_R but your lappie is way way past it's prime.

You may be able to add more ram, dearly needed, and add a bigger HD, but, that CPU is err, a wee bit on the slow side anyway.

My advice would be to invest in a newer PC, not laptop.

user.gif

Reaction score
ok, cheers for replys.

i have to have a laptop as i take it to work , so pc out of question .
any ideas what it would cost to upgrade mine so i can see difference between upgrading and buying a new laptop.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I very much doubt it worthwhile upgrading that Lappie ... you really need something with a better CPU.

Look for at least 1gb ram 80+ HD & NOT a Celeron or Sempron ... ;)

user.gif

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i have to agree with mucks, the money you'll spend trying to upgrade Vs the performance improvement is not worth it, i'd start saving and looking for a new one

Ask a Question