Youtube videos - playing, and yet, not....

Reaction score
I've installed Pale Moon browser on my laptop (Win 7), as I've read that it's pretty simple and quick (and based on Firefox), and I was having a slowness problem with Firefox. Anyway, it's pretty damn quick compared to Firefox, everything seems to open immediately, just like when I was using Win XP. But.....it won't play YouTube (flash) videos. There's forums on the net where some people can play them and others can't. So, I installed Pale Moon on my PC (Win7) just to see what happens, and immediatley it played Youtube (flash) videos. Both laptop and PC have Shockwave Flash as plugins, as well as VLC Web plugin and Adobe Acrobat plugin. Why would the PC play the videos but the laptop won't. I click on the play arrow but nothing happens, no "not working" message or anything. I can manually drag the button across the red line and watch the video that way.....not very good though! Can play YouTube videos in Firefox.
Any ideas please?
Laptop has 2GB RAM, PC has 4GB RAM. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've not used that browser before, but I wonder if there are problems with detecting HTML5 compatibility. Youtube will try to avoid Flash for video playback where possible nowadays.

Do you get full compatibility on the HTML5 YouTube page?

https://www.youtube.com/html5?gl=GB

It may be worth forcing HTML5 playback and see if that helps :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hmmm... it looks like it may be HTML5 video playing causing the problem in the first place! Here's a quote from the Pale Moon forums:

Assuming you enable the HTML5 player keep in mind this only works to a degree the slowest speed will not work at all and depending on the video none of it may work as expected. The new milestone to become Pale Moon 27 will have improved support.

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12690&p=89684&hilit=youtube#p89684

It may be worth having a read over there to see if there's a workaround for this, as it looks like there are some compatibility problems at the moment.

Ask a Question