Video card problems

Reaction score
So I just got age of mythology for my computer. An old game I know and not top of the line but I needed something to at least prove my cramped computer can handle this kinda stuff. So I install the game and everything goes smoothly until I try to play the game in which case it tells me that my video card is not supported and gives me a long line of text that I think basically can be summed up in "video 0". So I go to the provided website in hopes of help and all I get is a list of unsupported video graphics cards. The case says that all I need in terms of video is a 16MB 3D video graphics card. So all day I have been searching the internet for help and info while my dad makes a few calls to my computer wiz cousin and the keyboard guy at church who knows this stuff. On the chance that we still cant find a fix can anyone tell me how to get around this problem or fix it with the least amount of expense possible. If anyone does respond please put it simply cuase I know very little when it comes to the actual mechanics of computers so small words please.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Can you list the components you have in your computer?

Especially the graphics card?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What Operating System are you using? (Win XP; Vista etc).

And some tech specs please, like what video card do you have?

Reaction score
Well if AOM is saying the card you have installed is not supported then maybe your Computer is a little older than it should be for that game?

Tell us, was your computer bought or built?

If bought you could tell us the brand/Name and we could look it up to see what the system specs were for that machine at the time. Just a thought..Maybe your machine is upto date 'ish but with an older card?

Reaction score
It was bought about six years ago I think. I use windows xp and the computer is a fs7600 compaq. As for video card i'm really not sure it just says video 0 and then a bunch of mixed numbers that probably mean something I just dont get. Give me a minute and I will post them.

Reaction score
Video Card 0: vtdisp.dll VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP Vendor(0x1106) Device(0x7205)

all that comes up on one line below the explanation of the game not working and above the exit game button. If I close out the wino the game exits and if click the button it exits and the only way to get to the menu is to take the game out and out it back in and then I only have the option of viewing the manual,add/remove,upgrade AOM, or go to the AOM website which is provided in the malfunction explanation. I spoke with a guy who knows a little about computers and says even if I can get the card I might not be able to get it in the computer without help and even then the computer might reject it.

Reaction score
The FS7600 search I did only referred to a monitor not an actual computer

Any more info? It should be written on the computer case itself...Or on the rear

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
CDROM 0
CPU Pentium II 450 MHz
DVDROM 0
Disk 1500 MB
RAM 128 MB
VRAM 16 MB

Thats the minimum spec for the game to be played, is it possible that a 6 year old motherboard with onboard graphics won't play it?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Okay found this.

http://forums.s3chromezone.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=126

It would seem that the graphics card you have is directx 7 and Age of Mythology is directx 9, this is why it won't work.

Have tried looking for an update for you but it looks like the VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP is not supported anymore. Unlucky.

Like Triplezdread says if you can give us the make/model of your PC then we can help more or see if you are capable of upgrading the graphics on your computer.

Reaction score
sorry guys. I found a bag that looked like it held the info but all I found was assembly constructions and warranty papers. It's possible that the user disk mentioned in one of the papers holds the info you guys want but i'm not sure.
I doubt this will help but I found this on the side of the actual computer.

Compaq Presario SR1303WM
Prod#: PP150AA
S/N: CNH4521LDL

Maybe this is the model type or just the product number i apologize for my lack of info on the computer but it was only this past year that the thing could get on the internet before the time changed rom a.m to p.m so my family is just now figeuring out how to use the computer and barely how the thing works.

Reaction score
ok so me and my dad go to buy a new video card and get what appears t be compatible. He didnt think to get a list of unsupported cards so we spent 70 dollars on an e-geforce 6200 video card that garunteed no compatibility problems. we also got two new ram sticks thus boosting our Ram plenty more than needed. Now after it's in the computer we still cant get the game to work becuase it says the card has no desighner id or vendor id or something and I can only think the reason is becuase the card is a nvidia but as far as I can tell it isnt a nvidia Rivia 128 which is listed as unsupported. Someone please tell me how to fix this cuase I am getting really p-oed about this now.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Okay so the motherboard you have is an ASUS A7V8X-LA Motherboard, which supports AGP Graphics cards, the graphics card you have brought is AGP so there is no problems there.

Try updating the drivers for the motherboard here

http://support.asus.de/download/download.aspx?modelname=A7V8X&SLanguage=en-us.

As Triplexdread says try the directx download first.

It maybe that you haven't updated the computer for the past six years you have had it, and it just a case of doing so.

Let us know how you get on.

Reaction score
Hi guys

Not been here for a while, but thought i'd add this to help in getting system info..Can't quite remembr if i'm allowed to do this, but i'm sure those that have poweres beyond mine will tell me sooner or later..Go here and download SIW Freeware..This will give yo every which bit of system info you need..And possibly help poor matey sorting his problem out..

Reaction score
Apologies Rook10 for referring to you as matey..I am a bit useless when it comes to names..Follow the link I posted and download the SIW..This will give you evry bit of info you need..And will help these guys to help you....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Hi guys

Not been here for a while, but thought i'd add this to help in getting system info..Can't quite remembr if i'm allowed to do this, but i'm sure those that have poweres beyond mine will tell me sooner or later..Go here and download SIW Freeware..This will give yo every which bit of system info you need..And possibly help poor matey sorting his problem out..

That's perfectly fine, SIW is a legitimate and fine piece of free software :thumb:

Ask a Question