Video capture device cannot start code 10

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just built a new system and I'm having a real problem with the WDM video capture on my graphics card.

System Spec - Asrock conroe xfire esata2 motherboard, core 2 duo E6400, nVidia 7300GT, Nova-500-winTv card, windows MCE. I've installed directX 9 and powerDVD (though I've also had winDVD)

In device manager under sound, video and game controllers the nVidia WDM video capture has a yellow exclamation mark. The text says the device cannot start (code 10).

I've reinstalled windows MCE (twice) and frequently reinstalled the graphics card drivers from CD and via a download from Gigabyte technical support all to no avail.

The problem manifested itself first when I tried to uninstall Hauppauge software and inadvertently uninstalled their drivers too. When I tried to reinstall the drivers I first installed the software only and trying to watch TV through Media Centre brought conflicts and several "windows media centre has encountered a fault and must close" messages.

Trouble shooting then brought the WDM video capture (universal) fault to my attention.

MCE is now working and I can watch TV through it though I don't have audio from MCE and the frame rate is very jerky.
I want to get the WDM video capture working and to get audio on MCE to watch TV and DVDs

Are there any known conflicts between MCE, Hauppauge winTV 500 and Gigabyte Nvidia 7300GT graphics cards?

As I have the latest drivers for the card could it be a physical problem with the 7300GT?
Is the WDM video capture a function of the graphics card or TV card?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Reaction score
Ooops! Looks like I was installing graphics card drivers for windows XP. Gigabyte site didn't have any others but I downloaded drivers direct from the nVidia website that were MCE compatible.

TV and DVD playback is still jerky with no audio but I can use winTV 2000 application.
Can anybody tell me why the problems persist? Is it still a driver issue or possibly a decoder problem? I'm using powerDVD.

Ask a Question