VCD

Starlord

Ok, I have a program that I use to make slideshows with, for windows box's
and it runs just fine. The latest verson of the program ( it's a paid for
one ) came with a plug in that allowed it to burn the slideshow as a mpg for
use on DVD's. I got a guy up north of me to sign on as a tester of the dvd .
I made a test slideshow and burned it as a VCD. I tested it on my dvd
player and it worked, but this guy has some higher cost DVD players, the vcd
played once on one dvd player and stopped part way threw and wouldn't play
again. he was able to play the mpg file on his computer. His 2nd dvd player
wouldn't play it at all.

I've got CD BurnerXP pro and roxio burner too.

So my question is, would these or some other program take the slideshow and
convert it to a mpg one and burn a vcd that most if not all dvd players
would be able to read?

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

Kittie Spit

I'd recommend checking out www.videohelp.com

Sounds like you need a freeware image to DVD/SVCD/VCD
conversion-burning app suitable for playing on a standalone player,
apart from your computer.

Starlord

Thanks, I still slowly learning about video stuff on my computer. Still
photos are no big deal for me, but this other is still new to me.

Do or can computer DVD burners also burn cd's? My machine has a space where
I could put one under the CD Writer, but there's things about putting it in
I don't know.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

Susan Bugher

Starlord said:
So my question is, would these or some other program take the slideshow and
convert it to a mpg one and burn a vcd that most if not all dvd players
would be able to read?

Dunno but this page may be of interest. It has info about the formats
various DVD players can display:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

rich

I made a test slideshow and burned it as a VCD. I tested it on my dvd
player and it worked, but this guy has some higher cost DVD players, the
vcd played once on one dvd player and stopped part way threw and wouldn't
play
again. he was able to play the mpg file on his computer. His 2nd dvd
player wouldn't play it at all.

I've got CD BurnerXP pro and roxio burner too.

So my question is, would these or some other program take the slideshow
and convert it to a mpg one and burn a vcd that most if not all dvd
players
would be able to read?

As you say, the ability of a DVD player to read VCD's (also SVCD's and
mini-DVDs) bears no relationship to the cost of the equipment. The cheap OEM
brands are better at this than Panasonics and Sonys.

The conversion to .mpg is an easy one. Get the last free version of VCDeasy
(v1.1.5. something) from here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=39

Running Vcdeasy, go to the tools section then the mpegtools. Bottom of the
dialog box is a convert from .dat to .mpg section.
The .dat file will be in the MPEGAV folder on your CD, usually called
AVSEQ001.DAT but sometimes MUSEQ001.DAT (or something like that).

Rather than use the .mpg file to re-burn a VCD, try burning the .mpg file to
CD as data. The DVD players I have tried will read and play .mpg files - a
'select track' menu pops up, much the same as a music CD.