Using laptop HD on desktop, no power felt.

Rod Speed

You can, with most motherboards, build on a benchtop

We arent talking about a benchtop, we are talking about a laptop.

There are few laptops with hard drives that dont have a maintenance/bios
partition on the hard drive and so it makes sense to do the bios menu stuff
on that partition where there's a lot more space for a decent UI etc.
with no drives, and still access BIOS. The BIOS reports the fitted
RAM, and at the end of its self test, the BIOS reports
"No system found".

Laptops do that differently.
Could we have the make and model of the laptop?
Some BIOS's do not use the usual DEL key to access the BIOS screen.
I suspect some mfrs try to deter users from fiddling
with the BIOS settings, and do this by choosing
an unusual key combination to access BIOS.

And some dont show the user anything boot option wise if the hard drive
is missing or unrecognised because its a drive out of a different laptop.

Rod Speed

Ato_Zee said:
And some [laptops] dont show the user anything boot option wise if the hard
drive is missing or unrecognised because its a drive out of a different laptop.
So if the HD dies, it's no boot, and no access to any
recovery partition, the laptop becomes an expensive brick?

Nope, you just put in a replacement drive with the recovery partition on it.

And thats completely trivial to do if you did a full image of the physical drive before
it died. You just put that back on the replacement drive in a desktop system etc.

Not a shred of rocket science whatever required.
Ever tried to get mfr. service for a laptop that is
a few years old and (often just) out of warranty?
Yep.

Even getting batteries is a pain in the arse, all you can find are generics,

Wrong. I've done that repeatedly.
often of suspect quality. Forget it.

No need if its a decent brand of laptop that got a lot of battery
support and which uses the same battery in a lot of its models.

Just did it with a Compaq.

Trent

Trent wrote

Fraid so when he gets that with multiple laptop drives.

Wasn't commenting on the OP problem, just your assertion. If #reset is
being asserted due to a faulty PATA interface, the drive will not spin up.

Fred

Trent wrote
Wasn't commenting on the OP problem, just your assertion.

More fool you. I was clearly commenting on the OP's situation.
If #reset is being asserted due to a faulty PATA interface, the drive will not spin up.

Wrong, as always.

If the PC controller is completely dead, it wont be asserting #reset, stupid.

XYLOPHONE

Hello,

Here are even more details on my issue, and other experiments I did.

LAPTOP HD ON PC W/ADAPTOR:
- I have tried removing the data cable, and leaving only the power on.
Still no spin or motor sound or even vibrations (My ears are good, can
make difference between music on vinyl and CD). Furthermore, the
desktop BIOS detects no IDE drive. I borrow the cable end from the HD
which is normally in that PC.

ON THE LAPTOP:
- The laptop is a Compaq EVO N800c (Series PP2130 written on back)
using Pentium 4.
- The key sequence is CTRL-F10 (I think, because I quickly press many
keys), and when the BIOS is supposed to arrive, a small blue box
appears asking for a password. It gives 3 chances and everything
freezes on 3rd fail.
- There is 1 drive slot, I tried sliding both a Floppy and DVD drive.
In all cases, no boot, but the drive whirr once (floppy) or the CD in
drive spins up to full speed for a while, then slows down to low speed
and finally stops. This lets me think the drive (DVD or Floppy) is
tested in POST, but is not attempting to boot.
- I found 2 USB floppy drives. I tried both, and same thing. It's
POSTed, but apparently not trying to boot.
- While doing all these tests, I try the laptop with NO HD to see what
happens, and I get a strange message "Non-system disk or disk error,
replace and strike any key". This is strange, because it doesn't
attempt to boot from anything (afaik) but the message is exactly the
one of the boot sector of typical DOS/WINdows non-bootable disk. In
reality, it would somehow boot even if only to write that message. Or
it is an EXACT replica of that message in some kind of ROM or flash
memory. Now I just tried it with no floppy, no CD, no HD, and still
same message. If I press a key, it quickly disappears and reappears,
but nothing whirrs or light up even if there is a floppy or CD.
- And if I put the original XP HD it boots to that password no matter
boot option chosen, and the HD from other laptop just freezes with
cursor on top left, as I said in earlier post.

Any ideas?
Knowing the model, if anyone knows how to access CMOS battery or
jumper on motherboard, I could go that way, but I still keep this as
the last solution.

Thanks, again...

From: "Fred" <[email protected]>
Date: Jul 17, 8:50?pm
To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
No you didnt until much later.

Trent

Trent wrote

More fool you. I was clearly commenting on the OP's situation.

Don't give a **** about the OP problem, just your idiotic incorrect
assertion, dick-less.
Wrong, as always.

Nope. Go ahead and try it, shitlips. Short #reset to GND and power up the
motherboard; the drive will *not* spin up.
If the PC controller is completely dead, it wont be asserting #reset, stupid.

Now and again one has to apply the Ruler of Reason to the Knuckles of
Stupidity. If the PATA port is completely dead, #reset could be driven or
not. No one can say, you numb, flatulent ****.

Fred

Trent said:
Don't give a **** about the OP problem, just your idiotic incorrect
assertion, dick-less.

Wota stunningly rational line of argument you have there, child.
Yep.

Go ahead and try it, shitlips. Short #reset to GND

That wont happen even if the PC controller is completely dead, ****wit child.
and power up the motherboard; the drive will *not* spin up.

Pity that wont happen even if the PC controller is completely dead, ****wit child.
Now and again one has to apply the Ruler of Reason to the Knuckles of Stupidity.

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.
If the PATA port is completely dead, #reset could be driven or not. No one can say,

Wrong, as always.
you numb, flatulent ****.

Wota stunningly rational line of argument you have there, ****wit child.

Trent

Wota stunningly rational line of argument you have there, child.

Ever hear of topic drift, Pinhead?

Absolutely, positively, not.
That wont happen even if the PC controller is completely dead, ****wit child.

It can, but you're much too ignorant to understand why. Shorting it to GND
would simulate a controller that is dead in such a way as to be asserting
#reset.
Pity that wont happen even if the PC controller is completely dead, ****wit child.

See above, Chim-Chim.
Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

The true Rod comes out. When will you begin your snip-n-run tactics?
Wrong, as always.

Completely correct, Mongo.
Wota stunningly rational line of argument you have there, ****wit child.

Starting to repeat yourself just like you did when I kicked your flabby
ass over this exact same issue in 2007. Heh.

Fred

Ever hear of topic drift, Pinhead?

Wota stunningly rational line of argument you have there, child.
Absolutely, positively, not.

Wrong, as always.
It can, but you're much too ignorant to understand why.

Wota stunningly rational line of argument you have there, child.
Shorting it to GND would simulate a controller that
is dead in such a way as to be asserting #reset.

Wrong, as always. No dead controller would short that, ****wit child.
See above

Completely useless, as always with your shit, ****wit.
The true Rod comes out. When will you begin your snip-n-run tactics?

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.
Completely correct, Mongo.

Wrong, as always.
Starting to repeat yourself just like you did when I kicked your
flabby ass over this exact same issue in 2007. Heh.

Only in your pathetic little drug crazed fantasyland, ****wit child.

Trent

Wota stunningly rational line of argument you have there, child.

Indeed. And you'd do well to remember that, Rain Man.
Wrong, as always.

It's an easy experiment to do. Instead of making a fool of yourself on
Usenet (again) why don't you power up a drive with it's #reset signal
connected to GND?
Well?

Wota stunningly rational line of argument you have there, child.

That goes without saying. A pity you're unable to keep up.
Wrong, as always. No dead controller would short that, ****wit child.

You have no way of knowing *how* a piece of silicon will behave when it
fails, Rain Man. In fact, when a chip fails internally, one of the most
common faults is that one or more of it's outputs will be driven low.
Like #reset, for example. Heh.
Completely useless, as always with your shit, ****wit.

It's a good thing you aren't wearing cleats, as often as you step
on your crank.
Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

I've noticed. That's usually when you start churning out weak comebacks
like that.
Wrong, as always.

How ****ing persistent you are. I admire a captain that goes down with his
ship, though.
Only in your pathetic little drug crazed fantasyland, ****wit child.

Would you like a re-post?

Rod Speed

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Trent desperately attempted to bullshit its way out of its
predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.

XYLOPHONE

Thanks Arno, for the links. I know how to unmount everything...

Meanwhile, I have been able to get another adapter, and format the
HDD.
No password anymore! I made it a bootable disk (making a Ghost copy of
the desktop partition).
I put the drive back in the laptop, and surprise! Nothing happens,
just a blank screen with cursor at top left!!! So it's just the same
symptoms as the other drive that came from the other laptop.
I discovered the original laptop drive is a 60GB drive. The one from
the other laptop is a 20GB drive.
I know this is the Windows from another machine, but I expected it to
boot to some point, freeze, or crash... If I only could get to a DOS
prompt, I could try and reset battery using DEBUG. How would I do
this, now that the original drive is erased, and made bootable again.

Thanks.

Rod Speed

XYLOPHONE said:
Thanks Arno, for the links. I know how to unmount everything...
Meanwhile, I have been able to get another adapter, and format the HDD.
No password anymore! I made it a bootable disk (making a Ghost copy of
the desktop partition).
I put the drive back in the laptop, and surprise! Nothing happens,
just a blank screen with cursor at top left!!! So it's just the same
symptoms as the other drive that came from the other laptop.
I discovered the original laptop drive is a 60GB drive. The one from
the other laptop is a 20GB drive.
I know this is the Windows from another machine, but I expected it to
boot to some point, freeze, or crash...

Its actually the classic result you get if the Win install was on a system
with the chipset different enough to the one you are getting that effect with.
If I only could get to a DOS prompt, I could try and reset battery using DEBUG.

The manual link I gave you tells ou how to reset the laptop
at a variety of levels, reset the password, reset the cmos etc.
How would I do this, now that the original
drive is erased, and made bootable again.

Normally you could fix that blank screen with a cursor at top left
by booting from the Win CD and doing a repair install. But you said
cant boot the Win CD. Maybe you can now that the password is gone.

If that doesnt work, reset the cmos as the manual says and boot
the Win CD once you can tell the laptop to boot off the CD.

Trent

<[email protected]>:

I noticed that I didn't get a response to my last post in this subject, so
I google groped this thread to see if you had replied. Sure enough, like
Pavlov's dog, you did. But, understandably, your "Rod Speed" persona is
kill-filed.

[All my valid assertions go MIA.]

But, I'll summarize again. Take *any* PATA hard drive and short pin 1 to
pin 2, (#RESET to GND) then apply power to the drive. The motor will *not*
spin up. This will not hurt the drive whatsoever, in case anybody might
not know this - you could even use a flat blade screwdriver to short the
two pins. Rod is probably unable to find these two pins on a PATA drive,
so is unable to perform this simple test.

Anyway, on to Rod's copy-n-paste canned response:
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Trent desperately attempted to bullshit its way out of its
predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.

Three days ago I posted:
From: Trent <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Subject: Re: Using laptop HD on desktop, no power felt.
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 06:20:02 -0400

The true Rod comes out. When will you begin your snip-n-run tactics?

Heh. SPANK, you ****ing weak-kneed pussy.

Don't bother "cowering behind" your kill-filed "Rod Speed" nym if you want
me to see your response, ****nuts. I won't bother taking the time to
Google group search this thread again.

Buh-bye!

Rod Speed

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Trent desperately attempted to bullshit its way out of its
predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.

Arno

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage XYLOPHONE said:
Thanks Arno, for the links. I know how to unmount everything...
Meanwhile, I have been able to get another adapter, and format the
HDD.
No password anymore! I made it a bootable disk (making a Ghost copy of
the desktop partition).

Ok, first step accomplished, the disk works and has what you want on it.
I put the drive back in the laptop, and surprise! Nothing happens,
just a blank screen with cursor at top left!!! So it's just the same
symptoms as the other drive that came from the other laptop.
I discovered the original laptop drive is a 60GB drive. The one from
the other laptop is a 20GB drive.
I know this is the Windows from another machine, but I expected it to
boot to some point, freeze, or crash... If I only could get to a DOS
prompt, I could try and reset battery using DEBUG.
How would I do
this, now that the original drive is erased, and made bootable again.

If they implemented the password protection right, then you cannot.

You should have a look at the battery removal instructions, form
a quick glance they did not seem to problematic.

Arno

John Turco

Rod said:
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind Trent desperately attempted
to bullshit its way out of its predicament and fooled absolutely no one at
all, as always.

Hello, Rod:

In the message that you'd deleted, "Trent" the knucklehead had said, he'd
"google groped this thread." In my opinion, if he would grope a Google, it's
safe to assume he'd fondle a floppy, or perhaps, even pet a Pentium.

Hence, he definitely appears to be among the most depraved of Poms! :)