Do I need external power supply to power USB HDD?

xp_newbie

Actually, the hard disk drive is not USB but rather IDE. It is a
laptop 2.5" with IDE interface that I want to access in my dekstop PC.

I thought of buying an IDE/SATA/ATA adapter for 2.5 3.5 HDD CDROM like
this:

http://www.cables4pc.com/goods_detail.php?goodsIdx=623

But I don't know whether I need to connect power to the HDD - and if
so, from where?

Do I need an externa power supply to power the USB HDD? Do I have to
open the PC's case to draw that power?

Is the answer different when I use the same adapter to connect a SATA
2.5" HDD?

Thanks,
Alex

Arno Wagner

Previously said:
Actually, the hard disk drive is not USB but rather IDE. It is a
laptop 2.5" with IDE interface that I want to access in my dekstop PC.
I thought of buying an IDE/SATA/ATA adapter for 2.5 3.5 HDD CDROM like
this:

But I don't know whether I need to connect power to the HDD - and if
so, from where?
Do I need an externa power supply to power the USB HDD? Do I have to
open the PC's case to draw that power?
Is the answer different when I use the same adapter to connect a SATA
2.5" HDD?

If you look at the page, you can see:

"Packing include USB to IDE / SATA Adapter, SATA Cable, Power supply,"
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Arno

xp_newbie

If you look at the page, you can see:

"Packing include USB to IDE / SATA Adapter, SATA Cable, Power supply,"
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Arno, thank you very much for your answer. Unfortunately I am not that
familiar with these standard so certain things are not that obvious to
me. Does "SATA Adapter" mean power supply?

My main question is actually regarding an IDE HDD, not SATA. I know
that those drives have separate connector for power supply. Where do I
draw the power from to plug into that connector? Does it come from the
USB port, or must I use an external source (such as from inside the PC
case or the power supply that comes with the adapter)?

Thanks,
Alex

Gotde T Shirt

Arno, thank you very much for your answer. Unfortunately I am not that
familiar with these standard so certain things are not that obvious to
me. Does "SATA Adapter" mean power supply?

My main question is actually regarding an IDE HDD, not SATA. I know
that those drives have separate connector for power supply. Where do I
draw the power from to plug into that connector? Does it come from the
USB port, or must I use an external source (such as from inside the PC
case or the power supply that comes with the adapter)?

Thanks,
Alex
You really should read that web page again. It quite clearly states:
"External power adapter included, for power up the 5V/12V IDE/ATAPI devices
Usage"

Happy now?

Arno Wagner

Arno, thank you very much for your answer. Unfortunately I am not that
familiar with these standard so certain things are not that obvious to
me. Does "SATA Adapter" mean power supply?

No. You get a power supply in addition and you need it. The
SATA adapter or IDE adapter does not include power connections.
My main question is actually regarding an IDE HDD, not SATA. I know
that those drives have separate connector for power supply.

SATA also has them.
Where do I
draw the power from to plug into that connector? Does it come from the
USB port, or must I use an external source (such as from inside the PC
case or the power supply that comes with the adapter)?

You have to use the power supply that comes with the kit.
Alternatively you could run a power connection from the PC,
but that is not vwey comfortable. Powering HDDs vrom USB is
possible for low-power 2.5" HDDs, but it typically overloads
the USB poer to some degree.

Arno

timeOday

My external 2.5" enclosure does not require a separate power supply and
works fine. So if the one you're looking at does require a power
supply, you might consider looking further.

mike

Actually, the hard disk drive is not USB but rather IDE. It is a
laptop 2.5" with IDE interface that I want to access in my dekstop PC.

I thought of buying an IDE/SATA/ATA adapter for 2.5 3.5 HDD CDROM like
this:

http://www.cables4pc.com/goods_detail.php?goodsIdx=623

But I don't know whether I need to connect power to the HDD - and if
so, from where?

Do I need an externa power supply to power the USB HDD? Do I have to
open the PC's case to draw that power?

Is the answer different when I use the same adapter to connect a SATA
2.5" HDD?

Thanks,
Alex
Ok, I'll weigh in on this.

My experience with usb 2.5" hard drive cases is this:
They generally work well usb powered on desktop computers.
They almost always work well with powered usb hubs, unless
the hub messes up the usb signaling part...not a power issue.
They often work well USB powered on newer laptops.
The often DON'T work well on older laptops, not enough power.
Depends on the size and age of the drive...power consumption.
Some 2.5" cases have an input for 5V external power. That
solves the power problem for the drive, but if you turn off the
laptop, or if it turns itself off by hibernate,
it tries to power the laptop too and current limits.
The drive doesn't like this. Who knows what evil is happening
inside the laptop under these conditions. I've never busted
one, but I'm careful not to try.

My experience with non-case usb/ide adapters is this:
They rarely have a way to power the 2.5" drive other than usb.
Even those with power connections to the adapter use that power
for SATA, but not for the 2.5" drive.
Power for 3.5" drives goes directly to the drive bypassing the adapter.

There exist adapters that claim to power a 2.5" drive externally.
I bought on on ebay. They sent me the other kind. I emailed
another vendor. They admitted that they don't really ship what they
advertise either. I've never found a place I could buy such an adapter.

I've considered adding a jumper to the Bytecc BT-300 to switch
from USB to external power. Never could come up with an automatic
switching design that would fit inside the adapter.
But for now...
I have a 4-port USB2 Cardbus card that can take external power.
I stuff 5V into the card. That runs the drive and I get USB2
speed in my older laptops...well...faster than usb1 anyway...
That pretty much solves all my laptop problems.

mike

xp_newbie

Thank you mike, Arno and everyone else who answered. That definitely
answers my questions.

Alex

Folkert Rienstra

Arno Wagner wrote in news:[email protected]
If you look at the page, you can see:

"Packing include USB to IDE / SATA Adapter, SATA Cable, Power supply,"
^^^^^^^^^^^^

So babblebot, how does that help him with 2.5" harddrives?
You know, the ones with power integrated in the 44-pin connector?

Babblebot clueless as always.

Folkert Rienstra

Arno Wagner wrote in news:[email protected]
No. You get a power supply in addition and you need it.

Nope. Babblebot, clueless as always.
The SATA adapter or IDE adapter does not include power connections.

Of course it does or it is useless as a 2.5" harddrive adapter.
SATA also has them.

2.5" IDE does not.
You have to use the power supply that comes with the kit.

Read the specs Annie.
"External power adapter included, for power up the 5V/12V IDE/ATAPI devices Usage "

In other words: for 3.5/5.25" devices. Not 2.5" laptop drives.
For that it will have to come with one of those USB power
splicing cables that feed Power into the existing USB cable.

Folkert Rienstra

mike wrote in news:8RxLi.14920$Im1.12223@trnddc01
[...]

Adapters in external cases.
Not to be confused with cable adapters such as the one in the link above.