2.5" drive not seen when connected to IDE plug?

Gilles Ganault

Hello

I bought an old, second-hand, 2.5" Fujistu MHN2200AT drive and
the following data + power adaptor so I can use it in a regular PC
with an IDE plug and Molex power plug:

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5893/laptopdriveidecabledq0.jpg

However, the drive is not seen by the two PC's in which I connected
the drive. The drive does spin, so it's powered, and I have no reason
to suspect that I was sold a bad drive.

I checked the online manual, and it's correctly plugged in (red layer
on Pin1, and no jumper since this is the only device on the IDE bus:

http://193.128.183.41/home/v3__product.asp?pid=242&inf=cfg&wg=0
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/724/laptopdriveidecable2lv6.jpg

Should I try those other adapters?
http://tinyurl.com/3xmejp
http://www.addonics.com/products/io/aa25ide35.asp

Has someone seen this? Any idea what I could try?

Thanks for any tip.

Rod Speed

Gilles Ganault said:
[...]

The first thing to check is that it is a viable 2.5" drive.

One way to do that is to see if it will work in one of the
external cases that are designed to take 2.5" drives.

You should also check how the drive is jumpered, tho presumably
its not jumpered since you didnt mention the jumpering.

Gilles Ganault

The first thing to check is that it is a viable 2.5" drive.One way
to do that is to see if it will work in one of the
external cases that are designed to take 2.5" drives.

I don't have this kind of external case, so no way to check that the
drive is OK :-/
You should also check how the drive is jumpered, tho presumably
its not jumpered since you didnt mention the jumpering.

According to the documentation above, no jumper = master.

I guess I'll just order a different IDE connector, and see how it
goes.

Thanks.

mscotgrove

I don't have this kind of external case, so no way to check that the
drive is OK :-/

According to the documentation above, no jumper = master.

I guess I'll just order a different IDE connector, and see how it
goes.

Thanks.

Do you have another 2.5" drive, you know works, to test your cable,
connector etc.

Drives can spin, and still be dead!

The Windows Computer Management program is also very useful to see if
the drive exists as a physical device.

Michael

Gilles Ganault

Do you have another 2.5" drive, you know works, to test your cable,
connector etc.

Unfortunately, no.
Drives can spin, and still be dead!

I suspect it's the adapter that just doesn't work with this drive.
I've ordered a different kind.
The Windows Computer Management program is also very useful to see if
the drive exists as a physical device.

When booting with a FreeBSD CD, it can't even see the drive, which
makes sense since the BIOS itself can't see it.

On a third PC, the BIOS reports 8GB instead of 20GB, and FreeBSD fails
writing to it anyway :-/

Folkert Rienstra

(e-mail address removed) wrote in
Do you have another 2.5" drive, you know works, to test your cable,
connector etc.

Drives can spin, and still be dead!
The Windows Computer Management program is also very useful to see if
the drive exists as a physical device.

Right, who cares whether the bios can't see it.

Folkert Rienstra

Gilles Ganault wrote in news:[email protected]
Unfortunately, no.

I suspect it's the adapter that just doesn't work with this drive.
I've ordered a different kind.

When booting with a FreeBSD CD, it can't even see the drive, which
makes sense since the BIOS itself can't see it.
On a third PC, the BIOS reports 8GB instead of 20GB, and FreeBSD fails
writing to it anyway :-/

Right, so obviously the drive is toast.

Folkert Rienstra

Gilles Ganault wrote in news:[email protected]
Hello

I bought an old, second-hand, 2.5" Fujistu MHN2200AT drive and
the following data + power adaptor so I can use it in a regular PC
with an IDE plug and Molex power plug:

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5893/laptopdriveidecabledq0.jpg
However, the drive is not seen by the two PC's in which I connected
the drive.
The drive does spin, so it's powered, and I have no reason to suspect
that I was sold a bad drive.

Perhaps the seller thought the same thing.
It's not uncommon for drives to die between shutoff and switch on.

Gilles Ganault

Perhaps the seller thought the same thing.
It's not uncommon for drives to die between shutoff and switch on.

Mmm... OK, I'll get a new one and give it another try. There such
isn't enough room to cram a 3.5" in there.

Thanks.

Top