Using 2 Routers

Reaction score
Forgive me not beng technical in the slightest..
I have broadband and must use a zyxel cabled router (employer's requirement) but want to piggyback a BT voyager 2110 router to be able to use wireless for the kids use. I've used a cable to connect one to the other. This works for a while then broadband stops working and we have to restart the laptops to get it working again. what have I done wrong. I really need help please.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to the forums ...

Two "Routers" will not play ball together, if you don't disable the DHCP in the router that's not plugged into the Internet ... there would be two DHCP servers, and only one of them would actually configure the computers correctly, the one that's plugged into the Internet.

So to ensure your PCs get their configuration from that router, you disable the DHCP server in the router not plugged into the Internet.

It gets a little more complicated if you do not know what you are doing. ;)

Consider a "network switch" and expect to pay for it, although a "simple hub" may do. :thumb:

user.gif

Reaction score
Thanks, sounds difficult.

Would it work if I buy a netgear wireless router, plug this into the Zyxel router and use itas both a cabled and wireless router?

Ask a Question