USB Webcam and SvcHost.exe

G

I've just tried to install a Creative Video Blaster USB Webcam on my XP Home Edition PC. The installation went fine, including the activation of the camera. Upon rebooting the PC however, once I log on SVChost.exe (running under the System account) holds the CPU at 100% and slowly chews up memory.
I have tried to locate the offending service by stopping and starting each 'svchost.exe' sevice individually however this has not helped. Uninstalling the camera also is not helpful. I've ensured that USB is enabled in the BIOS and that I have the most up-to-date driver for the camera. I've searched through the current newsgroup items and tried a few of the solutions to other svchost.exe problems (such as manually checking for Viruses, disabling USB polling etc) but I still have the same problem.
The only way that I've found of getting my computer back to normal is by System Restoring to a point before installing the camera.

The problem only occurs however once I have plugged the camera in and rebooted. I installed the drivers without the camera plugged in (as specified in the install instructions) and then rebooted. There was no prblem at this point. Once I plugged the camera in and the PC recognised the device, upon rebooting the svchost.exe process holds the CPU at 100%.

Please help as I'm tired of having to restore my PC everytime I use the Webcam.

Thanks
Mike Madden

Ask a Question