usb to parallel

greentoenail

A friend of mine has a new laptop, the laptop has no parallel connections on
it. The printer has no usb connections on it. We purchased a usb to
parallel adapter plugged it in, and it worked fine, at first. The problem
occurs when trying to print after not printing for a while, the printer just
refuses to print. When we restart the computer, the printer works again.
Restarting all the time is becoming rather annoying.

If anyone has encountered this problem, and knows a solution, or has some
good ideas, we would be very thankful.

Tom Ferguson

Try navigating to the printer driver settings and deselect the option
for bi-directional support.

Right click on the printer listing in Start Printers and Faxes
Properties Ports.

Plan B is to try a PCIMA to Parallel connector such as

http://sewelldirect.com/QuatechParallelPCMCIACard.asp

I have no experience with them myself but I have been told they can work
quite well. Be sure to check into the right to return the item if it
does not work in your application.

Alas, these devices are not inexpensive. For not much more you friend
could get a decent USB-connectable printer.

Tom

MSMVP

Windows Shell/User

: