USB cable ports

Reaction score
As an elderly, retired gentleman, I am building a computer system for my 19 year old granddaughters christmas, using a gigabyte GA-7DXE motherboard. In the motherboard, are 2 cable USB ports at the front of the motherboard. Although I have perused the manual several times, and have found the correct socket onto which the cables are connected, on the motherboard, my difficulty is that there are wires coloured; white; yellow; orange; black; blue; green; purple; red; and grey to connect to this socket. NINE wires in all, buth there are only EIGHT pins in the socket. I could obviously leave this cable unconnected, as the system still works fine, but I really would like it connected to complete the job fully. Can anyone help and tell me the correct procedure about these nine wires. Thanks.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello X PC465

We are never too old. ;)

Not all USB front panelled cases fit all motherboards.

However, there should have been a wiring diagram with the case or sometimes the coloured wires have symbols on them, either way they should be marked. Something like ... USB power 0, USB DO-, USB DO+, GND 0, USB power 1, USB D1-, USB D1+, GND 1, just as an example.

Now I have to conjure up your motherboard and find out if indeed the two will not cause any problem. Does your motherboard have Orange USB surrounds/shrouds/sockets? If so then that is USB 2 and I'm not sure if you can connect a USB 1.1 case wires to them. :(

It shouldn’t make any difference as it’s the wiring that matters.

Now, if you do have the Orange coloured USB connectors your MB manual should tell you what pins go where (page 25?). Something like ... pin 1 = Power, pin 2 = GND, pin 3 = USB D2- ... you get my drift.

If the case wires do not have similar markings then I would not connect them to the MB ... I would get a USB powered Hub and connect through it.

If you need anymore info' then I'll need a bit more on how the case wires are marked.

Good fun, though. :crazy:

Mucks

Ask a Question