Urgent Can't Boot

Mark A. Sam

I am posting this on Access forms also, becuase there are some very good
computer people who may may not frequest the Windows groups but can possibly
help.

A couple weeks ago I was given a message to install WindowsXP Service Pack
2. I began the download and forgot it. It never gave me a message that it
was ready to install. I decided this morning to do the manual check for
updates and installed service pack 2. Then I was unable to boot up again.
I have this message:

TOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
The image wininet.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not
match the computed checksum.

Is there a way to recover?

I appreciate any help and God Bless,

Mark A. Sam

Wayne Morgan

Mark,

The folks in the WinXP groups can help you better, but it will probably
require and "in-place upgrade" or using the Recovery Console. The "in-place
upgrade" uses you WinXP disk to install WinXP over itself as an upgrade. It
will basically set you back to a plain install that you'll have to reapply
the patches to.

Mark A. Sam

Wayne,

I booted from my CD Rom and selected to repair a WindowsXp installation.

Then it asked me to select a Windows Installation to log onto. There was
only 1 choice

1:C:\Windows

Which I selected.

It then asked me for the Administrator Password which I typed in. I am
pretty sure the password was correct.

Then it gave me a C:\Windows prompt.

I don't know what this is all about, but this appears to be a useless
procedure.

God Bless,

Mark

--
---
Administrator
www.Truckloads.Net
www.MeetYourMatch.ws
www.YouthKaraoke.Org
www.Memories.Net
---
Those who can do; Those who can't become talk show hosts!
_____________________________________
Plan-It-Earth Web Management Services
P.O. Box 110
Dunkirk, New York 14048
Phone: 716-679-7607
Email: (e-mail address removed)
Website: http://www.plan-it-earth.net

Jim Macklin

You pressed the r and that opened the recovery console.
Reboot again but just press enter then select to install
and select to install over the existing install to do a
repair install.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

message | Wayne,

wrote in message
| | > Mark,
| >
| > The folks in the WinXP groups can help you better, but
it will probably
| > require and "in-place upgrade" or using the Recovery
Console. The
| "in-place
| > upgrade" uses you WinXP disk to install WinXP over
itself as an upgrade.
| It
| > will basically set you back to a plain install that
you'll have to reapply
| > the patches to.
| >
| > --
| > Wayne Morgan
| > MS Access MVP

in message
| > > computer people who may may not frequest the Windows
groups but can
| > > possibly
| > > help.
| > >
| > > A couple weeks ago I was given a message to install
WindowsXP Service
| Pack
| > > 2. I began the download and forgot it. It never gave
me a message that
| > > it
| > > was ready to install. I decided this morning to do
the manual check for
| > > updates and installed service pack 2. Then I was
unable to boot up
| > > again.
| > > I have this message:
| > >
| > > TOP: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
| > > The image wininet.dll is possibly corrupt. The header
checksum does not
| > > match the computed checksum.
| > >
| > > Is there a way to recover?
| > >

| > > I appreciate any help and God Bless,
| > >

| > > Mark A. Sam

Jim Macklin

You're welcome.

message | Jim,

| It is installing and I have a GUI. Thanks to both of you
for your help.

| God Bless,
|
| Mark
|
| --
| ---
| Administrator
| www.Truckloads.Net
| www.MeetYourMatch.ws
| www.YouthKaraoke.Org
| www.Memories.Net
| ---
| Those who can do; Those who can't become talk show hosts!
| _____________________________________
| Plan-It-Earth Web Management Services
| P.O. Box 110
| Dunkirk, New York 14048
| Phone: 716-679-7607
| Email: (e-mail address removed)
| Website: http://www.plan-it-earth.net

in message
| | > You pressed the r and that opened the recovery
console.
| > Reboot again but just press enter then select to
install
| > and select to install over the existing install to do a
| > repair install.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

in
| > message | > | Wayne,
| > |
| > | I booted from my CD Rom and selected to repair a
WindowsXp
| > installation.
| > |
| > | Then it asked me to select a Windows Installation to
log
| > onto. There was
| > | only 1 choice
| > |
| > | 1:C:\Windows
| > |
| > | Which I selected.
| > |
| > | It then asked me for the Administrator Password which
| > typed in. I am
| > | pretty sure the password was correct.
| > |
| > | Then it gave me a C:\Windows prompt.
| > |
| > | I don't know what this is all about, but this appears
| > be a useless
| > | procedure.
| > |
| > | God Bless,
| > |
| > | Mark
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > | ---
| > | Administrator
| > | www.Truckloads.Net
| > | www.MeetYourMatch.ws
| > | www.YouthKaraoke.Org
| > | www.Memories.Net
| > | ---
| > | Those who can do; Those who can't become talk show
hosts!
| > | _____________________________________
| > | Plan-It-Earth Web Management Services
| > | P.O. Box 110
| > | Dunkirk, New York 14048
| > | Phone: 716-679-7607
| > | Email: (e-mail address removed)
| > | Website: http://www.plan-it-earth.net
| > |
| > | "Wayne Morgan"
<[email protected]>

but
| > it will probably
| > Console. The
| > | "in-place
| > itself as an upgrade.
| > | It
| > you'll have to reapply

wrote
| > in message
| > are some very good
Windows
| > groups but can

install
| > WindowsXP Service
| > | Pack
gave
| > me a message that
do
| > the manual check for
| > unable to boot up

header
| > checksum does not

| > |
| > |

Wayne Morgan

Glad to hear it. Don't forget to go back and reapply all the patches that
just got erased.