Upgrading to XP from 98 using Compaq quickrestore disk

G

I have a Compaq Presario 5070 that I had to install a new hard drive on. The old hard drive was small and crashed. The new hard drive is 40GB and required different partitioning. The problem is that this computer was sold with preinstalled software and no Windows 98 disk was provided (thus I have no proof that I can use an upgrade instead of having to purchase the full edition). I do have the quickrestore disk but am worried that it won't work. The problem is that once I open the Windows XP upgrade software, I can't return it for the Windows XP full edition. I was reading that sometimes the upgrade will be able to recognize the 98 on the quickrestore disk but not always. The recommendation then was to fully do a quickrestore then upgrade to XP. If I have to do this, will XP recognize the full 40GB since the quickrestore will be indicating a smaller drive with a different partition? Can someone please advise me. I will never buy a computer with preinstalled software that doesn't provide all of the disks again (I've already informed Compaq of this). Please email any help to (e-mail address removed) because I don't usually visit this site.

B

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

The WinXP Upgrade installation CD will *NOT* recognize the Compaq
Quick Restore CD as a valid qualifying OS disk. You might see if you
can find a cheap, used Win98 retail CD at a local second-hand software
shop to use for the purpose.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
having both at once. -- RAH