Windows 7 Upgrading to Windows 7 but my XP is messed up... advice please

Reaction score
Hello,

A few months ago I had a serious virus that messed up my Windows XP Media Center Edition completely. There have been numerous bugs since I fixed the virus situation.

The main problem is that I can't update my system with Service Pack 3, I have tried many solutions with no avail, it just won't work. I also have many other problems, like I am unable to update my graphics driver... when I try it gets half way and I get the blue screen of death.

Basically this is the reason I need to start fresh and get Windows 7.

My question is this... Should I get the Upgrade Version or the Full Version? Will it upgrade properly if I have so many issues with XP? Also will it start me fresh? Do I have to do a system restore then install Windows 7?

Also is there any different from the upgrade version to the full version or is it just a cheaper perk for those who have purchased xp or vista?

Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Christian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First of all, considering economics, have you considered doing a fresh install of Win XP?

It seems to me your XP install is stil corrupted, probably from that virus.

If you done a fresh install - think backup of important files and data here - you may be happy to carry on with XP a while longer.

As for the question of whether to upgrade or do fresh install of Win 7 - without a doubt get the full version and completely overide your previous operating system.

Vista, for all it's faults, was much more stable than XP and in almost 2 years I didn't have any problems with it nor need to do a fresh install.

As Win 7 is a derirative of Vista I think it's safe to assume it will be just as stable.

If you can afford it, spend £65.00 on Windows 7 and change.

When prompted during install, format your primary hard disk.

Because Win 7 is good and XP is outdated now.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

Microsoft, in their greed for more money, closed the opportunity of using reasonably priced, ymmv, CDs to be used as a full install of the OS.

You cannot use Windows 7 upgrade DVD to upgrade XP, you will need to buy a full copy anyway.

If you go W7, and I highly recommend you do, it would be best to do a clean install, which does mean you need to backup any important data.

:user:

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your advice floppy and muck,

I think I will buy the full version of Windows 7. To install it do I just insert the disk and it will override my current OS? Or would I have to do a system restore or uninstall the current OS or something first?

Also one more question, floppy you said about backing up, I have always been a bit rubbish when it comes to that. I am not sure how it works, when I try to back up it just says everything I select is empty and I can't proceed. Also would backing up work If i change OS? Im not sure the best way to do it, I would just like to save some my documents things.

Reaction score
Err... the upgrade is valid for XP however you must do a fresh install from the DVD.

XP -> W7 - Full Install using Upgrade media
Vista -> W7 - Upgrade install using Upgrade media

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
JaLing said:
Err... the upgrade is valid for XP however you must do a fresh install from the DVD.

XP -> W7 - Full Install using Upgrade media
Vista -> W7 - Upgrade install using Upgrade media

Good advice, I wasn't sure about this.

So presumably the Win 7 DVD does a fresh install but at some stage will ask to see the XP CD as proof of ownership?

Just like many of the previous upgrades in fact, I can remember doing that for Win 3.1 to Win 95.

In answer to Viceroy's backup question, I meant to store anything you want to keep within your current install of XP such as music; videos; documents; pictures and photos; e-mail addresses, e-mails and anything else you can think of.

These could be backed up to a seperate hard drive within the machine; an external hard disk; a USB stick or burnt to CD's or DVD's.

Reaction score
So I can just buy the upgrade veriosn instead of the full version? and the problems i am having with my current os won't affect the updrade?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Viceroy said:
So I can just buy the upgrade veriosn instead of the full version? and the problems i am having with my current os won't affect the updrade?

According to JaLing, yes, I've never done it myself, so wasn't sure.

The problems you're having with XP will cease to exist when Win 7 is installed as XP will be erased from your hard drive during the format Win 7 carried out on install.

Ask a Question