Windows XP Upgrading from Windows '98 to 2000

Reaction score
I've done a search here, but can't find an answer to this question. I'm anticipating upgrading my Compaq DeskPro 733 from Windows 98SE to Windows 2000. I have a cable modem connection and Linksys FireWall, a 10 Gb harddrive and 320 RAM. I don't think XP is appropriate for a 733mhz.
What I would like to do, because of a relatively small harddrive is connect a second drive to the computer and install W2000 on a separate drive. I can back up the existing W98 drive to a server. I've been reading everything I can find, but there seems to be 2 schools of thought. One is to load 2000 on a separate drive and dual boot until everything can be confirmed. The other is to do an upgrade install. I have run the old analyzer program and loaded Everest and printed everything.
Does anyone know if Windows 2000 still includes an option to dual boot?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Never "upgrade" an OS, always do a clean install ... now, having said that you will need to ascertain whether you can get all the relevant drivers for your system.

What is it? make, model, branded or home built? oops, must pay closer attention. :D

;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the easiest thing to do would be to do an upgrade over the top of 98 but thats not really a good idea

do you need to be able to run 98 and 2000 ?

if you dont just get a bigger hard drive and install 2000 on it, you can always use the old drive as a slave to access any old data

Reaction score
I don't need to be able to run both 98 and 2000, but from what I've read, it was suggested that getting a separate drive and loading the new OS was a safer option that doing an upgrade over 98. Because the existing drive is so small, I was anticipating adding an additional 30-40 Gb.anyway.
Some articles also mentioned partioning the existing drive to add 2000, but that removing the old OS and partition was almost impossible.
I do have most of the newer drives stored (ViewSonic, etc) thanks to reading several forums on this site.

Reaction score
Was it compaq that used to store part of the BIOS on the Hard Drive? So if you FDisked the PC and you did not have a bootable floppy disk you were stuffed? Just a thought?

Ask a Question