Windows XP Upgrading Windows 2000 to XP

Reaction score
Help!! need some advice please has been trawling the internet for days and none the wiser. Heres the problem: purchased a reconditioned IBM thinkpad T20 which runs microsoft windows 2000 professional version 5.0 2195 service pack 4 build 2195 last year. Have now got what I have been told is a virus and have been advised to reinstall my laptop. The laptop came with the applications already installed and no disk. Cant get in to touch with the supplier (phone no and email no longer available!!) to get a copy.

Am now thinking about doing a clean instal and upgrading to widows XP but there are lots of different versions out there and I am unsure which one to get - someone recommended "Microsoft OEM windows XP home edition inc service pack 2b-1".

Can anyone advise please? obviously I dont want to buy this if it is the wrong version and I lose my money plus I can't get on to my control panel to see if my memory is enough to be compatable with it. PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If it has the same specs or less memory than the one in the link then you would not really be able to run XP on it. You may be able to run XP but it would be very slow.

Best bet is to borrow a Windows 2000 disc of someone and re-install and use your present COA.

Or you could try a free Linux os.

http://www.itfactory.co.uk/product.php?prod_id=1&cat_id=10

happywave.gif

Reaction score
trinity.rose said:
Help!! need some advice please has been trawling the internet for days and none the wiser. Heres the problem: purchased a reconditioned IBM thinkpad T20 which runs microsoft windows 2000 professional version 5.0 2195 service pack 4 build 2195 last year. Have now got what I have been told is a virus and have been advised to reinstall my laptop. The laptop came with the applications already installed and no disk. Cant get in to touch with the supplier (phone no and email no longer available!!) to get a copy.

Am now thinking about doing a clean instal and upgrading to widows XP but there are lots of different versions out there and I am unsure which one to get - someone recommended "Microsoft OEM windows XP home edition inc service pack 2b-1".

Can anyone advise please? obviously I dont want to buy this if it is the wrong version and I lose my money plus I can't get on to my control panel to see if my memory is enough to be compatable with it. PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

XP Home will be fine OEM is also fine:thumb: as long as you have the knowledge to install the OS? If not keep in touch and I/We will guide you through the process. Once you have it set-up you can then scan for system upgrade IE RAM.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
If you want to keep Windows 2000 then google

Superantispyware and Kaspersky or Eset Nod32 as antivirus, install and let them run, they will get rid of most nasties and all are free.

If you want to upgrade to XP then XP Home or Media Centre edition are fine, ideally you need a minimum of 256mb to run XP properly.

Reaction score
thanks for your replies.

I have looked at the link - it looks like mine but as I say I cant access my control panel to see what my memory and hard disk drive are - do you know of another way to find this info out?

Also whats the difference between xp home and an OEM version?

Is it very difficult to instal an OS and also whats an IE RAM upgrade? (sorry not very pc technical minded)

Reaction score
trinity.rose said:
thanks for your replies.

I have looked at the link - it looks like mine but as I say I cant access my control panel to see what my memory and hard disk drive are - do you know of another way to find this info out?

Also whats the difference between xp home and an OEM version?

Is it very difficult to instal an OS and also whats an IE RAM upgrade? (sorry not very pc technical minded)

the difference between xp home and an OEM version?
Nothing apart from about £100.00

Is it very difficult to instal an OS
No as long as you have a basic idea? but as I say we can talk you through it.

RAM upgrade

Add more Memory...

Next question:)

Reaction score
Here you are some idea for setting the OS. Dont worry I/WE will help you if you get stuck:nod: Setting up your Operating System on a new and/or upgrade PC from the point of having fully installed the components and they are functioning correctly.

• Start the computer and enter BIOS
  • Set date and time [this is important if you have upgraded your PC and also used the OS disk before].
  • Now set your boot formation as follows 1st boot CD ROM or DVD
  • Disable ALL the other boot devices.
  • Press F10 to save your settings in BIOS.
  • Insert your OS disk
  • Install and follow the instructions setting you desired preferences, authentic windows key/language/country Etc:
  • Upon completion of the set up restart the PC.
  • Now install the required drivers sound/LAN/Etc:
Happy computing

Reaction score
ok found task manager - which one actually shows me the hard drive and memory I have ? (i know dumb arent I!)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Click on performance and about halfway down the page on the left it will say

Physical Memory (MB)

Total ****

The total is how much Memory you have, less than 256 i wouldn't bother with XP.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi, it will be 128Mb but hey its not a lot of difference,

No its really gonna struggle to do much with that little memory.

You have a few options though,

1. Add some more memory, although its gonna be hard to find and probably only in 128 or 256mb sticks.
2. Clean up Windows 2000, download and run the programs i put at the start.
3. Do a fresh install of Windows 2000.
4. Get another laptop.

There are a few decent ones to be had, look on ebay for a Dell Inspiron 1300, can usually get them for £100 - 150 depending on condition. Then buy a 1GB stick of Memory for £12. Decent laptop cheap, it will seem like the future compared to the one you have at the mo.

Or spend £300 on a new one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wish I could go for option no. 4 but even though laptops have dropped considerably in price there still a bit out of my price range which is why im trying anything to try and sort it out. Ill try cleaning it up with the downloads you recommended and see how that goes.

Another question - if I could find someone that has windows 2000 to do a fresh instal is that ok to do because of the registration bit i.e. being in someone else name?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't think it really matters anymore with Windows 2000 as it unsupported by Microsoft.

You should still have a sticker on the underside of the laptop with a key on it, any CD with Win 2000 should work, if you can't find one then let me know and i will see if i can get one.

Reaction score
that would be great - thanks for your help tonight everybody - ill try the downloads tomorrow and see what happens. report back tomorrow. signing off now as have to be up at 6 to go work!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm guessing that you are using the pc for personal use. If you want to try a free option for a operating system that will work nicely and speedily on your pc as it is. Then have a look here,

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=11905874#post11905874

Or have a read up on some other linux distros. Some of them will work just fine on older lower spec pc's. The Kanotix version is pretty easy to play with.

If you do not have a sticker with your COA for 2000 on your pc you can use Everest Home program to find out what it is.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
If you want to keep Windows 2000 then google

Superantispyware and Kaspersky or Eset Nod32 as antivirus, install and let them run, they will get rid of most nasties and all are free.

If you want to upgrade to XP then XP Home or Media Centre edition are fine, ideally you need a minimum of 256mb to run XP properly.
Hi there sorry been a cpl of days since updated. Anyway some good and some bad news. Ran superantispyware on my laptop and it worked! the original message disappeared (rundll32.exe) and was able to get in to my desk top etc which I couldnt do before. However, it has become very slow and having probs with internet it has connected ok but I cant get my homepage up or any other site. Also getting a new message:-

ERROR LOADING C:\WINNT|SYSTEM32\UESTEVZSNONGOSK.DLL - specified module could not be found

any ideas please?

Ask a Question