Reaction score
Hello

My basic Pc specs are

Asus M2N-E SLI AM2 DDR2
AMD AM2 5200+DUAL CORE ATHLON 940PIN
KINGSTON 1GB DDRII KVR667D2n%/1G
SAMSUNG 250GB SATA 2

I bought this almost a year ago

Trouble is its starting to get rather slow, loading of files etc, hanging a few times

Was wondering what is causing this, do i need more memory as i understand 1GB is pretty ****e now-if so where do i buy and what-it all seems so cheap

My hard drive is about 80% full, so was thinking about investing in another internal hard drive-are they all generally compatible isit more complicated, what should i look out for?

If i transfered all my video(almost 100GB to another internal drive) would that enhance performance ata all, or just provide extra space?

Thanks for your time

Reaction score
First of all thank you

USB Support: 2.x Compliant
Error Detection Support: ECC and non-ECC
Chipset: nVidia nForce 500 SLI
DDR2 SDRAM Frequencies: PC2-4200, PC2-5300, and PC2-6400
Supported DRAM Types: DDR2 SDRAM only
Max Unbuffered DDR2 SDRAM: 8192MB
Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
Max Component Density: 1024
Graphics Support: PCI Express x16
240-pin DDR2 DIMM Banking: 4 (2 banks of 2)
Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

Your Computer Specifications

1024 MB DDR PC2-5300 1024 MB DDR PC2-5300 EMPTY EMPTY
Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096 MB
Currently Installed Memory: 2048 MB
Available Memory Slots: 2
Number of Banks: 4
Dual Channel Support: N.A.
CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ Model 3, Stepping 2
CPU Speed: 2613 MHz

Ok, so turns out i have 2Gb of memory, is it worth going to 4? Will there be noticeable difference?

And what about the hard drvie?

Thanks again

Reaction score
Yes you should have no problem installing a 2nd HDD you MOBO has 4 SATA connections you could however get a external HDD and transfer your media to that, if you have a problem get back to us;)
PS the more RAM the better PCs perform

Reaction score
ah ok, i'm still on XP, so i suppose i'll just have to stick, may go for an external hard drive tho

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
nmbrod said:
Hello

My basic Pc specs are

Asus M2N-E SLI AM2 DDR2
AMD AM2 5200+DUAL CORE ATHLON 940PIN
KINGSTON 1GB DDRII KVR667D2n%/1G
SAMSUNG 250GB SATA 2

I bought this almost a year ago

That's still a good setup, the only thing holding it back is 1Gb RAM. Add another 1Gb. If you have one stick of RAM in there atm add another stick of the same.

If you have two 512Mb sticks, add another two of the same, as that board has 4 slots.

If you don't know which memory you have, take a look at it and see if any stickers tell you what it is. You want to get PC6400 DDR2 memory, if you have anything less than that speed discard the old memory and buy yourself a 2Gb PC6400 (800Mhz) memory kit ( 2 x 1Gb) so you can run them in dual memory mode (see motherboard manual).

Recommended memory: Crucial; OCZ; Corsair; Geil. Memory is cheap atm so don't go for the el cheapo generic stuff, it's a false economy.

Trouble is its starting to get rather slow, loading of files etc, hanging a few times

Was wondering what is causing this, do i need more memory as i understand 1GB is pretty ****e now-if so where do i buy and what-it all seems so cheap

See above. Your processor runs at 2.6Ghz and is a dual core so it shouldn't be slowing up or hanging, that's quite odd.

My hard drive is about 80% full, so was thinking about investing in another internal hard drive-are they all generally compatible isit more complicated, what should i look out for?

If i transfered all my video(almost 100GB to another internal drive) would that enhance performance ata all, or just provide extra space?

Thanks for your time

80% full shouldn't affect performance. You're probably ok up to about 85% then it will start affecting things.

If you want to add another hard drive get a SATA 2 device and make sure you have a spare power connector within your computer or a converter lead and also that you have another SATA cable to connect it to the motherboard.

Transferring all your video files probably won't improve performance but it would certainly make them safer as if your OS crashed you may lose them all.

In short, add another Gig of memory and consider a faster processor.

And what anti-virus software are you using? If you're using Nortons that will certainly slow things down.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Download CC Cleaner and run it that will help get rid of some rubish .

happywave.gif

Ask a Question