Computer Making Loud Groaning Noise

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently each time I turn on my computer it makes a loud groaning nosie wthin about 5 mins or so the nosie goes away.

Specs

Asrock AM2-NF6G-VSTA

ASUS X1500 256MB Series

Kingston 1GB RAM PC2 5300 667MHZ

Samsung Hard Drive 120GB

AMD AM2 X2 Dual Core 4200+

Eagle PSU 500W

I would be greatfull if someone could let me know their ideas.

wizkid

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
First thoughts would be one of the fans is on the way out - switch on the machine with the case side off and try to isolate where its coming from :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My money is on fan bearings - probably on your CPU. When you first turn on your PC, try giving it a bit of a whack and see if the jolt works. Don't kick it into the next room, just enough force to knock the system a bit without damaging anything!!

You may have fans on your chipset, but the other things it could be will be PSU (unlikely) or graphics card.

edit: beaten to it by Ady :)

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have turned off the pc for about 20mins and it does not make the noise I will leave it over night and I have a look at tomorrow. I might also try reseating the CPU fan I will let you know how I get on.

wizkid

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Just re-seating the CPU fan won't make any difference if it is on its way out - you will need a new one.

However, I suspect its more likely to be one of the case fans - a similar thing happened recently to one of my machines, where I got that graunching sound, switched off the PC, back on again and didn't happen again for several days - eventually it was noisy full time and I replaced it.

Next time you get the sound, leave the PC on, and CAREFULLY take the side off and see where its coming from :thumb:

Reaction score
agree with Ian Cunningham, got a pc here, about 6 months old and make a similar sound

i just give the case a back hander, and that normally sorts the noise out

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
:eek:

I would never hit my pc! At least not on purpose anyway.

Reaction score
I often whack my pc, especially if i've been playing a game and i've died!!

It's most likely a fan, if not the cpu fan, just start sticking your fingers in the other ones for a split second to isolate where the noise is coming from.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
bodhi said:
just start sticking your fingers in the other ones for a split second to isolate where the noise is coming from.

That is NOT recommended :eek:

Try that with a Delta fan spinning at 5000rpm and you is liable to suffer gashed digits.

Either disconnect them one at a time or apply a little pressure with your finger to the centre hub to slow the fan down or stop it temporarily.

This has been a health and safety warning issued on behalf of PC Review UK :D

Reaction score
To floppybootstomp

I washed out my computer with cold running water like you said.
It did not work my computer will now not work.

I am only joking.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks very much for the replys.

I took the computer to bits and cleaned all the fans and it seems to be ok now I will let you know if it comes back again.

Thanks,

wizkid

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Making Loud groaning noises? .... sort of like mucks having one too many? :lol:

glad you got it fixed :D

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
That is NOT recommended :eek:

Lol, i was being a bit silly. Mind you, i would just use my finger, just a little pressure on the middle and stop it and if the noise stops then Robert's your fathers brother. :D

Ask a Question