Upgrade or Buy New PC?

Reaction score
Now that my mesh pc has run out of warranty i can now get it looked by a professional!

But not sure whether to spend about £250 sorting this pc out.

Or buy a new base unit from say Novatech?

Any views or comments welcome.

Reaction score
Oops forgot to tell whats inside, but the problem i have is that both the Chipset fan & PowerSupply Fan are dodgy.
Both fail at times & lots of warning beeps think i need to sort these out quickly.
(mesh told me that these fans never went & were good for the life of the pc!)
Can i just go to maplin etc and buy a new PowerSupply & Chipset fan??

PC never been right from day one so wondering if it's worth shelling out any money on it?
Ditch it and put it down to NEVER buying from mesh again!
Salesperson saw me coming, sadly they sold me a piece of crap!!

Oh yes PC Specs:
Asus A8N-E/AMD 3400 CPU? /1GB RAM (x2 512MB)/ ATI Graphics?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Asus A8N eh? I think that's a socket 939 with DDR RAM.

Do you know if the grpahics card is AGP or pci-e slot?

Chipset fans can be bought easily enough and Maplins do do them, I've seen them in there.

If not from Maplins, they're readily available on line and Zalman actually do a passive (fanless) chipset cooler, which is good.

Buy a new PSU, always a good investment.

The question then is whether to keep the existing motherboard/CPU/memory or whether to upgrade.

If your computing needs are modest I'd suggest just buying a new PSU (at least 500W and a quality make - about £60.00) and a new chipset cooler

btw, when you say chipset I'm assuming you mean the Northbridge on the motherboard and not the graphics card cooler.

You may also want to buy a new case to completely change the appearance of the thing and then hopefully you'll forget it was once a Mesh :D

The Antec Sonata case/500W PSU combined is a good buy at around £80.00 and imo is a good looking case, it's all shiny black.

If you want a complete upgrade then you're looking at new:

Power Supply
Motherboard
CPU
CPU Cooler (maybe)
Memory
Graphics card (maybe)

So yes, a Novatech base unit does seem like a good idea.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
flopps you is right, that system is a skt 939 so new CPU's are gonna be hard to find and DDR RAM is also getting har to find, it is however PCI-E graphics

as you're gonna be looking at a new system i'd only get a new one if you're having problems with it being slow?? a new graphics card would possiby help with gaming but how much of that do you really do?

Reaction score
Cheers for that Mr FBS.
It all depends on Money & at the moment it may just be a case of doing what is really needed.
Graphics are i think PCI_E but i have never really tested it out.
But have noted the replies down & will attempt to fix the problems myself.:nod:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The Corsair psu's are very good value for money and very very quiet . If you are thinking of building your own later on then buying a higher wattage psu now would mean one less thing to budget for later and spread the cost out .

nod.gif

Ask a Question